THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Aug 3, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3,766 of 3,874
CB39E8D3-7329-4577-B142-5CFC2B1E3EDB.jpeg I seal the copper with clear sealant so there is never a smell. I generally add a patina. I have a headphone amp in the middle of this one. If I left one with copper shining, I would seal that as well to keep it that way. Copper oxidizes

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #3,772 of 3,874
I have some extra pieces of quartered oak, I may have to try to make something similar. Maybe copper pipe to hold the headphones. I really like the way you can remove headphones and just drop them onto that peg, nicely done.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #3,774 of 3,874
Many here seem to not consider headband stretching out and decreasing pressure to head/pads. Just a thought! :wink:

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #3,775 of 3,874
I just finished 2 "DIY" headphone stands. I found some neat star pattern tiles from Lowe's for $1.49 each. Used 12" long pieces of Poplar 1" x 2" wood, which was painted with a charcoal colored spray chalk paint. Then, finished up with the satin nickel door stops as the bracket that the 'phones rest on. The hardest part was boring through the porcelain tile - fortunately, I had a leftover $20 diamond "barrel" bit to make the holes neat - along with spritzes of water to keep the bit cool. I plan on making about 4 more to hold the rest of my headphones. I have more star patterned tile along with some other tile pieces to try out too. Each was finished with a 1" x 1" x 1/2" rubber bumper on each corner to protect the shelf surface.

I've had many stands in the past - Woo Audio, etc. But, thought I'd try my talents with all the tools I have to see what I could come up with.

DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #3,776 of 3,874
I just finished 2 "DIY" headphone stands. I found some neat star pattern tiles from Lowe's for $1.49 each. Used 12" long pieces of Poplar 1" x 2" wood, which was painted with a charcoal colored spray chalk paint. Then, finished up with the satin nickel door stops as the bracket that the 'phones rest on. The hardest part was boring through the porcelain tile - fortunately, I had a leftover $20 diamond "barrel" bit to make the holes neat - along with spritzes of water to keep the bit cool. I plan on making about 4 more to hold the rest of my headphones. I have more star patterned tile along with some other tile pieces to try out too. Each was finished with a 1" x 1" x 1/2" rubber bumper on each corner to protect the shelf surface.

I've had many stands in the past - Woo Audio, etc. But, thought I'd try my talents with all the tools I have to see what I could come up with.

That turned out really nice looking! Good job friend

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #3,779 of 3,874
If I were to hang my headphones on my wall, would direct sunlight have any affect on them long term athtetically?

UV degrades everything, unless it specifically has UV stabilizers in the chemicals that make up the pads, headband, plastics, paints, cable insulation, etc.

But even then it’s not the best idea (not to mention the constant heat cycles).

I wouldn’t do it personally, especially if there was another wall close by that wasn’t in the direct sunlight.

It’s like the difference between a car that’s always been garage kept, vs one that was always sitting outside baking in the sun. The garage kept one will be mint.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #3,780 of 3,874
UV degrades everything, unless it specifically has UV stabilizers in the chemicals that make up the pads, headband, plastics, paints, cable insulation, etc.

But even then it’s not the best idea (not to mention the constant heat cycles).

I wouldn’t do it personally, especially if there was another wall close by that wasn’t in the direct sunlight.

It’s like the difference between a car that’s always been garage kept, vs one that was always sitting outside baking in the sun. The garage kept one will be mint.

Thought so, wanted to double check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back