THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Jul 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3,451 of 3,874
  @WAAM Do you know how the third stand in those pictures you linked too was created? looking to make my first stand and i'm just not sure where to start...

No idea how this user did it but I have some experience with bending/melting acrylic and polycarbonate "glass". Easiest way to do it is baking in oven at about ~160*C. My experience is more advanced though, in special big powder-paint ovens.
1st You need some underlaying "statue" form (stone/burnt clay/metal) and You just put acrylic into top of it. But it takes time to "master" this with right temperature/time/form to get proper shape without bubbles in "glass".
Oven must be heated evenly from up, down and sides and "statue" must achieve same temperature with surrounding air.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,454 of 3,874
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

When are you going to start taking orders?

smily_headphones1.gif

tongue_smile.gif
Hehehe seriously!!!!!!

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #3,458 of 3,874
Not sure what type of wood, thx for the comments guys, P.S. the shadows were her idea as well lolol.

She's currently making one similar to the Orpheus stands, will post how it turns out when complete :D

I have the Abyss incoming soon, ill probably drop it on that.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,461 of 3,874
  Thanks I would really like to see GreenMachines progress on his stand, he is carving a stand out of a whole tree stump almost.

Well so I've been away for ages. The stump is still sitting, sadly. Turned out to have a bunch of wood beetles making a lovely home in it so my carpenter friend had me wrap it up in saran wrap and stick it away in a freezer for months since it's a big hunk. Gotta get them out somehow! I'm hoping I'll be able to make something out of it. Way too cool of a piece to let it be hauled off by the city and turned into mulch. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,462 of 3,874
  Well so I've been away for ages. The stump is still sitting, sadly. Turned out to have a bunch of wood beetles making a lovely home in it so my carpenter friend had me wrap it up in saran wrap and stick it away in a freezer for months since it's a big hunk. Gotta get them out somehow! I'm hoping I'll be able to make something out of it. Way too cool of a piece to let it be hauled off by the city and turned into mulch. 

That must be a big freezer.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #3,465 of 3,874
Did up two of these for my iems tonight they took under 10 minutes each. Most of the time was prepping the measurements with strips of green painter's masking tape marked for alignment.
These are 21 cm by 15 cm ACRYLIC ( not glass ) display frames that have a secondary face attached by 4 magnets at each corner for throwing pictures inside. Strong enough they do not come apart without a pull.
 Methyl Chloride liquid applied with a needle applicator bottle to melt the hooks in place. Applied to the hook bases then pressed on while the face was horizontal. Easy that way and avoids any stray drips if you are careful.
 I wanted a more condensed stand than the wood iem one I had made from fir and maple.
Can hold 2 iems per hook, obviously if wrapped properly in a smallish loop.

I was at the Industrial plastics store today and in their bins they had some insanely heavy and thick chunks of Acrylic sheet off-cuts, but this was easier than cutting and cheaper too.

something fun anyone can do fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back