THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Sep 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #3,001 of 3,874
Sep 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3,003 of 3,874

Believe me every time I get new headphones

my wife gets something.  Usually shoes or clothes, how boring can you get when there are so many awsome headphones availiable.

How about a shiny new headphone box for your wife?  Some of them, like HiFiMAN and Beats, are Quite Impressive!

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #3,004 of 3,874
I'm looking for suggestions for a headphone stand that functionally doubles into something else. Last month I built a stand that also works as a pretty awesome led lamp. Now I'm at a loss. Can someone fill in the blank?

LED Stand:

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,005 of 3,874
Some more stands: 

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,007 of 3,874
Hi,

I have now turned this : 

Into this : 

This is what I did : 

1. Remove lightholder (drilling) and other details
2. Saw of a bit in the middle
3. Drill new hole for screw in middle
4. Change the design of the metal structure to get a higher and more stable stand
5. Filler for middle to hide most of the rough metall and the screw. The filler also acted as extra holder to get a a fixed structure(the screw was not enouth).
6. Sand it
7. Clean it
8. Spray Painted 5 layers with mat black paint.
9. Mount, feets, softhandle and rubber nubs

This is what I could do while living in an apartment, if I hade more tools like welder it would have been a better end product.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3,008 of 3,874
Hi Eric nice work, I am envious of your creativity, did I see some of your stands on the MD site recently with some orders
beerchug.gif
?  I have a couple of new stands at a rough prototype stage at the moment which are a departure from my normal wooden ones like below and am waiting for some materials to arrive to start putting them together. I have had something in mind along similar lines of the stand with the draw in the base as well.

Keep up the good work mate, I enjoy seeing your creations

Regards Jamie

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,009 of 3,874
Thanks Jamie. Coming from you it has truer meaning for me as I am likewise a big fan of yours (I would love to someday have one of your beautiful stands!). As for MD, they reached out to me a few weeks back and wanted to know if I could mass produce the Z stand. Seems pretty good so far, despite the devilish outcries from would-be-woodworkers (for whom everything is easy and who evidently can build anything, but only choose not to :wink: )

Keep em coming Jamie. Can't wait to see the new works finished.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #3,010 of 3,874
There's been some great stuff lately--impressive, guys! 

Eric- love that last one--very different design; reminds me of a giraffe!  My daughter has a set of Denons D600s and they'd look great on that one in her room!

Jamie- the finish you put on those is impressive...what do you use?  Gloss poly?  And, I love the wood in that middle one in the second picture.

sp3llv3xit-  All I can say is wow...still wondering exactly how you did that...

I'll contribute something I made a while back-  this one's a lot simpler than what I usually do...the pix are from a post I put up today (trying to sell the HD650s...)

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #3,011 of 3,874
Quote:

Jamie- the finish you put on those is impressive...what do you use?  Gloss poly?  And, I love the wood in that middle one in the second picture.

I'll contribute something I made a while back-  this one's a lot simpler than what I usually do...the pix are from a post I put up today (trying to sell the HD650s...)

Thanks I have always liked the look of laminated wood, neat choice of handle for your cable winder.

The timber in the middle one is Spalted Beech. For the finish I use a home brew wipe on Tung oil + varnish mix to seal the wood and enhance the natural colour followed by a automotive clear coat to give a little bit of sheen to the finish.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3,014 of 3,874
Was getting annoyed today of having my headphone and headset laying on my table, computer etc.
Quick solution - works pretty well, but needs some paint or something.
Pretty neat with built in storage as well. :)

https://imageshack.com/i/pcCCGmR4j

https://imageshack.com/i/knArmLrWj

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,015 of 3,874
  Was getting annoyed today of having my headphone and headset laying on my table, computer etc.
Quick solution - works pretty well, but needs some paint or something.
Pretty neat with built in storage as well. :)

https://imageshack.com/i/pcCCGmR4j

https://imageshack.com/i/knArmLrWj

Sweet idea I kind of like it as it is, it has a functional honesty about it. Are you going to cut a slot out of the lid so you can put the cable inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back