THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Dec 1, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,006 of 3,874
Just whipped up an identical second one out of some more scraps. Took about 1/2 hour start to finish. Didn't get too fussy its pretty basic. Alder base again and the table leg cut off halfway and screwed tight from some countersunk deep holes in the bottom.. The tops where the felt pieces are, I assume are what bolts to the bottom of a tabletop or your choice. Thinking these were Ikea originally, someone was tossing them out last year and I finally found uses for these.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,008 of 3,874
Aaaand, now I have the Commodores stuck in my head...

"She's a brick... house... "

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #1,011 of 3,874

Quote:
Is that really a brick? I really hope not. 

it's a fake brick, it's made of foam.
wink_face.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #1,013 of 3,874

Not sure what it is. I found it in the kitchen which was probably left there by a previous tenant. Any ideas?

I thought this would be great for a headphones stand, so I measured the radius of the base for the length I'd chop off the top. There needs to be sufficient height for full-size headphones and the weight distribution would have to be just right for it not to topple. The chopping took quite a bit of effort and time because I only have one of those knives that have teeth on them, instead of a wood saw for a perfect cut. You can tell I'm tool-less for a DIY guy.

Then, I applied some epoxy on the top of the long portion and some on the underbelly of the short portion. Sticky tape was needed to secure them. While the epoxy was curing, I searched around the house for things that could be used as reinforcement material. After many head-scratching moments, I found this...

What's it called? This metal thingy can be commonly found inside any household, used as a mounting device for securing cables on the wall. Well, I took one from the wall (the house will be demolished in a few weeks, don't worry), angled it to fit my stand and I also widened the arc.

I had some spray paint left over from previously painting my ancient laptop, which proved itself to be quite useful as the wood had some blemishes and the cutting job was amauteurish to say the least.

The painting took the most time. No primer, just two to three layers of black paint. The result is up to my standard. Funny enough, I don't have anything for trying out this DIY stand at this moment. And when my HM5s and E10 arrive, they will complete my black desktop rig.

I will post some more photos of the stand with headphones on when I get my hands on the HM5s and E10.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #1,014 of 3,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsteva 

For some reason, my basement is extremely dusty.  I was complaining to my wife about the fact that I wanted to DIY a headphone stand but I didn't want my Grados (that she bought me for Christmas) to get all dusty.  I made a comment that I would need a bell jar to keep the dust out.  This stuck with me, and I started thinking about the possibility of creating a stand inside of a glass bell jar - it would keep my cans (mostly) dust free, and provide a beautiful display case.

Well, a weekend and about $50 later - here it is.  Yeah, the glass is going to get dusty, but at least my cans wont!

Just felt like this at least deserved a quoting. But wow that looks like it should be at the center of a mueseum, its beautiful. Probably not as quick to put on and off but at a certain point design like that could just flip off function and it'd still be great.
I think that point is called art.

I'm still looking for parts to make this whenever I'm out and about. If only someone here sold them
rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #1,016 of 3,874
Of course. I should have thought of that! I have seen them before but not without the roll. I only use cheap toilet paper, no fancy paper towels. LOL

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #1,018 of 3,874

Quote:
Actually it's kitchen roll as I normally call it.  Probably why you never saw one in a toilet.  ;D

Are you a Page too?  Considering this convo, is kinda funny.  :D

Well, I use toilet paper for everything. It's much cheaper than anything else.

What do you mean by Page?

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,020 of 3,874
LOL.

I wanted to use this name to make a website when I was a kid. And I like it so it stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back