THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Nov 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #977 of 3,874
Updated my all-thread and PVC stand with a copper sheath (mandrel hammered to fit over the lock nuts), a thin foam pad on the PVC, and a leather strip around the base. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #978 of 3,874

Quote:
Updated my all-thread and PVC stand with a copper sheath (mandrel hammered to fit over the lock nuts), a thin foam pad on the PVC, and a leather strip around the base. 

That's beautiful.
But a light into the middle and it's art. You can sell it to MoMA.
Was it difficult to make?

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #979 of 3,874
Thanks!

Not at all. Initial construction was 1/2 hour (wood base, all-thread + PVC). Making the copper fit over the lock nuts was the hardest part - and only because I got impatient on the mandrel and tried to force it to fit too early. Everything else was waiting for glue to dry and clever clamping.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #980 of 3,874

Quote:
Thanks!

Not at all. Initial construction was 1/2 hour (wood base, all-thread + PVC). Making the copper fit over the lock nuts was the hardest part - and only because I got impatient on the mandrel and tried to force it to fit too early. Everything else was waiting for glue to dry and clever clamping.

I wish i had that skill.
I was never a DIY'er.....but if i see things like that, i wish was.
May i get back to you, if i buy some decent pair of headphones and need a stand?

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #981 of 3,874
Need? no - is it handy and nice - and good to keep some excess wear minimzed? Sure... I like having a stand at my desk because I have 3 sets of phones there, and it makes it easier to keep them organized and accessible. 

Sennheiser makes a clever little clamp stand that connects to a shelf or desk edge for $15... or there are quite a few DIY stands that are essentially ready to go from inexpensive other solutions (modified banana hooks from Best Buy, or hose holders from Home Depot), etc. Or there are nice stands made by Woo Audio, and Sievking and others for a whole range of prices. But none of them would I ever classify as necessary. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #983 of 3,874
Sounds interesting - go for it!

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #984 of 3,874

Quote:
That's beautiful.
But a light into the middle and it's art. You can sell it to MoMA.
Was it difficult to make?

It really would look nice with the inner diameter covered in a nice textured (rice?) paper with a few LEDs inside.  You could easily run the wiring down the copper tubing too, and drill a hole through the backside of the wood base or even just put some short rubber feet/furniture bumpers on it.  Tons of potential with this stand.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #985 of 3,874
Open source stand. Go for it!

You'd probably have to go up to 1" copper tube to add wires - right now, the top and bottom are filled with a hex nut (interior is 3/8th all-thread) - unless you make it without the all-thread (not sure how you'd attach the copper to the PVC in that case). Here is the version pre-copper, for construction details.

And it is already up on rubber feet - the leather is acting as a 1/8" skirt from the bottom of the wood. 

I actually like having the tube open, I can put small cable adaptors in there or my IEM's... but that's just me. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #986 of 3,874
If I weren't getting rid of headphones, that stand would be getting built right now
tongue.gif

Also, updated pic of my finished stand

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #987 of 3,874
That ended up looking great! Looks like you could probably put two cans per stand as well.. which is handy. 

I just had a thought tho - instead of all-thread, you could use that threaded lamp rod - those are hollow - then run cable down that. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #988 of 3,874

Quote:
It really would look nice with the inner diameter covered in a nice textured (rice?) paper with a few LEDs inside.  You could easily run the wiring down the copper tubing too, and drill a hole through the backside of the wood base or even just put some short rubber feet/furniture bumpers on it.  Tons of potential with this stand.

Absolutely, "customisable stands", great business idea.
i thought of a Light bulb in the middle and a LED at the base. Invent a (fascinating/ludicrous) story and of you go to MoMA.
Stuff in there all look like that. 

I think integrating a light (or 2) into the stand would give it and the room, where it stand, a nice touch.

Just some random thoughts.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #989 of 3,874

Quote:

I think integrating a light (or 2) into the stand would give it and the room, where it stand, a nice touch.

why not a real tube?

ecc83 anyone?

looks good to me...

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #990 of 3,874
:D

More complicated power source. But... custom case for a Tube amplifier, with an integrated headphone stand and offset tube mounts... you might be onto something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back