The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #331 of 3,746
I have. Got them both on my desk right now.

With how much I love the FXC51, I knew I had to get the FXC80 for the second time. First time I hated it, and couldn't EQ it very well because it distorted once any sort of tweak was applied. But, I tried my luck once more, and found I like it a lot this time around. I was going to mention it in my FXC51 review that is in progress and almost completed, but I can give you a quickie here and now. Basically, it sounds almost identical to the FXC51, especially when you EQ it. The only difference I can see, is that there is less bass; so when I have the exact same EQ applied to both, the only difference I can really detect is the impact on the FXC51 is a bit stronger than the FXC80. Other than that, it's best to save the $15 and go with the FXC51. I think it fits a lot better too. Not that the FXC80 doesn't fit good, but it has a weird shaped housing that can make it slightly difficult to get an even and well-isolated fit. Both are great IEMs, but the FXC51 still gets it for being a better value, and having a better fitment.

I'll do a bit more comparing before my review is posted, and finalize any thoughts. But so far, they stand as is.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #332 of 3,746
By the way, for anyone wondering about my custom EQ I use for the FXC51, it's basically as follows:

80: Decrease 2-5db
220: Decrease 2-5db
780: Increase 4-6db
3K: Increase 0-2db
13: Decrease 4-6db

I'm still experimenting in those numbers to find a concrete EQ, but for the most part, that's my range.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #333 of 3,746
Thank you Katun....

Quote:
I have. Got them both on my desk right now.

With how much I love the FXC51, I knew I had to get the FXC80 for the second time. First time I hated it, and couldn't EQ it very well because it distorted once any sort of tweak was applied. But, I tried my luck once more, and found I like it a lot this time around. I was going to mention it in my FXC51 review that is in progress and almost completed, but I can give you a quickie here and now. Basically, it sounds almost identical to the FXC51, especially when you EQ it. The only difference I can see, is that there is less bass; so when I have the exact same EQ applied to both, the only difference I can really detect is the impact on the FXC51 is a bit stronger than the FXC80. Other than that, it's best to save the $15 and go with the FXC51. I think it fits a lot better too. Not that the FXC80 doesn't fit good, but it has a weird shaped housing that can make it slightly difficult to get an even and well-isolated fit. Both are great IEMs, but the FXC51 still gets it for being a better value, and having a better fitment.

I'll do a bit more comparing before my review is posted, and finalize any thoughts. But so far, they stand as is.

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #334 of 3,746
Oct 19, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #335 of 3,746

Quote:
By the way, for anyone wondering about my custom EQ I use for the FXC51, it's basically as follows:

80: Decrease 2-5db
220: Decrease 2-5db
780: Increase 4-6db
3K: Increase 0-2db
13: Decrease 4-6db

I'm still experimenting in those numbers to find a concrete EQ, but for the most part, that's my range.

You're right there is a slight increase somewhere around 13kHz.

Try this Eq in foobar and listen to some live music, classical, rock... whatever... tell me what you think :wink:

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #336 of 3,746

Quote:
maybe instead of the sansa i might get a telecast t51 or a nexus s with a fiio e5/7 amp does that work out better? 

I dunno what happens when you combine the stratocast t51 lineout with a Fiio E6, but you can try!!

I think that will work out well and you can buy a 16GB MicroSD for the stratocast, not sure about 32.

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #337 of 3,746

Quote:

I dunno what happens when you combine the stratocast t51 lineout with a Fiio E6, but you can try!!

I think that will work out well and you can buy a 16GB MicroSD for the stratocast, not sure about 32.

Maybe i will just get a mobile phone with a 32 gb micro sd with a fiio E6. BTW how much is the stratocast t51?

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #338 of 3,746

Quote:
Maybe i will just get a mobile phone with a 32 gb micro sd with a fiio E6. BTW how much is the stratocast t51?

Mobile phones don't tend to have great sound quality, but if you use something like a Fiio E6 and very good IEM, then that is a good setup!!

It's called the Teclast T51, and it costs around $130, very good sound quality for the price and you can watch movies on it too, battery life sucks though.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #340 of 3,746

New Eq for the JVC FXC51.

This makes it sound something like a vented GR07 or RE252, nice reference sound especially with classical and live recordings.

Edit: Keep in mind I only think the FXC51 is very fun and responsive and the best sound I've heard under $90, it doesn't compete with the UE700 or a setup like the HM-601 with Sony EX600.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #341 of 3,746

Quote:

LOL. I was calling the t51 telecast for a long time before I realized that it is actually teclast

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #342 of 3,746

Quote:
can it last 10 hours? and the samsung nexus s uses  a wolfson dac which i believe is the same? i really dont know :p 

It will last 10 hours when playing music (just barely) but will only last 2 hours when playing video.

Yes, Samsung has an agreement with Wolfson I think, so some of their smartphones have good Wolfson DAC chips.

If you want Android, you could also get the latest Sony Ericsson walkman phone, save a few hundred $$, and go for a much better IEM, the overall result will be much better sound than an expensive smartphone with an average IEM.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2011/08/22/sony-ericsson-live-with-walkman-android-gingerbread-for-audio-heads/

Edit: A long time ago I remember someone signing up on head-fi and saying "I have $1000 to spend, what's the best portable sound quality I can get?"

one of the answers was "Sansa Clip+ with a JH13", at the time I thought they were joking... but now I don't!

It's very apparent to me now, that a Clip+ with a JH13 will sound 10 times better than a smartphone+portable amp into a UE700, or you know something like that...

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back