The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,091 of 3,746

Quote:

Much like bcasey.... I think I've lost quite a bit of interest in the Sony EX600 now... after I broke my EX700 and I've been finding new products recently, the flaws of the EX600 are finally becoming more apparent to me.

LOL, I haven't even ordered my FX500 yet. But I will. Unless something better comes up before I get money..

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3,093 of 3,746
Adel's 21 Rolling in the deep is awesome in 24/96 FLAC. Definitely easier on the ears. While her recording is still really well mastered it gets peaky especially in the mid range and treble at times. With the 24/96 recording it is so much smoother :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3,094 of 3,746
Quote:
Well, I mainly find the overall sound of the HD800 artificial, not necessarily because it's hyper-detailed. The SR-009 is even more detailed, but sounds more natural. The soundstage of the HD800 is indeed magnificent, and while I think it's a bit blown up in an artificial sense, I do enjoy it. The Qualia has a smaller stage but has better separation and more air between notes. Like the HD800 though the Qualia sounds a bit synthetic to me.

The HD 800 I tried was on a Violectric HPA-100, and I think I'd call the soundstage "theatrical" rather than "blown up": Not necessarily natural, but exaggerated for clarity's sake rather than clownshoes-immense.

Maybe the secret to getting a pleasing soundstage from the HD 800 is to pair it with a well-balanced mid-fi amp rather than a no-compromises TOTL amp.

I usually get my hair cut at the training school for a high-end hair products company (it costs about the same as Fantastic Sam's, and the cuts are better). The studio area has room for three or four dozen trainees to work on victims clients like me simultaneously, so there's always a great deal of noise and chatter and bustle going on. Since I haven't got anything better to do, and since I can't even wear my glasses to watch what's going on, I'll usually sit with my eyes closed and work at locating the exact positions where people are talking while standing or sitting.

It's an interesting exercise. Try it some time. It takes a good 15 minutes or so just to adapt to the ambient sounds and begin to locate sources.

It doesn't sound like headphones. It definitely doesn't sound like binaural recordings on headphones.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #3,095 of 3,746
Quote:
Really? I thought it was just the case for me because my ears are kind of small. Looking it up though they are technically classified as full-sized. I will say this: they are on the verge of on-ear / circumaural. They're definitely smaller sized than Denons, and even Edition 8s. I could see them being on-ear for a lot of people.

Hmm, Sony's headphones seem to be close in this regard to the point that they're fully circumaural on some ears and on-ear on others. The MDR-V6 are circumaural to me -they aren't for many people- so I imagine the Z1000 would fit my ears as well. When I first bought my K271 for $150 I originally debated returning them for the Z1000. At the time you couldn't get the Z1000 for less than $450 and I decided the $300 difference wasn't worth it. Sound signatures aside I'm willing to bet they are now. eh, I'll live.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #3,096 of 3,746
Quote:

I don't care how many drivers or what drivers are used. I am more interested in the sound they work together to produce.

You should care, after all, they are the core sound of an IEM, and they all come from the same companies, that's why they can make UE clones in china without breaching any patents.

Also, there are 7 IEM's that all use TWFK, I have heard three, and I think those three sound 90% the same, it's obvious the driver in an IEM is the same as a driver in a speaker... if you want, you can make the $10,000 Sony statement speaker, if you want to buy the drivers from Denmark yourself, and build the Mahogany wood cabinets, and they will sound 90% the same.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Much like bcasey.... I think I've lost quite a bit of interest in the Sony EX600 now... after I broke my EX700 and I've been finding new products recently, the flaws of the EX600 are finally becoming more apparent to me.

What are those flaws? Anemic sound, not enough weight? Treble grainy and edgy? Bass is nice but lacks quantity?

Nah, maybe someone with TF10 or IE8 would say it has flaws like that... for me the EX600 has very little centre soundspace, it's like an apple without a core, and the apple can't change colours like the EX700, it's just always green. =)

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3,097 of 3,746

Quote:
You should care, after all, they are the core sound of an IEM, and they all come from the same companies, that's why they can make UE clones in china without breaching any patents.

Also, there are 7 IEM's that all use TWFK, I have heard three, and I think those three sound 90% the same, it's obvious the driver in an IEM is the same as a driver in a speaker... if you want, you can make the $10,000 Sony statement speaker, if you want to buy the drivers from Denmark yourself, and build the Mahogany wood cabinets, and they will sound 90% the same.

What I mean is that the overall sound of the IEM is more important than the number of drivers used.

For example, I prefer JH13 to JH16, Westones 2 to Westones 4, CK10 to CK100.

EDIT: I think you are mistaking me as saying the drivers do not matter. The type of drivers does matter in determining the main sound signature but the number of drivers used is another story altogether. For instance, it is difficult to say that a 4 armature drivers universal will definitely sound better than a single driver ER4S.

What I mean is that I care more about the sound than the number of drivers used, not that I disregard the type of drivers used.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #3,098 of 3,746
Quote:

I usually get my hair cut at the training school for a high-end hair products company (it costs about the same as Fantastic Sam's, and the cuts are better). The studio area has room for three or four dozen trainees to work on victims clients like me simultaneously, so there's always a great deal of noise and chatter and bustle going on. Since I haven't got anything better to do, and since I can't even wear my glasses to watch what's going on, I'll usually sit with my eyes closed and work at locating the exact positions where people are talking while standing or sitting.

It's an interesting exercise. Try it some time. It takes a good 15 minutes or so just to adapt to the ambient sounds and begin to locate sources.

It doesn't sound like headphones. It definitely doesn't sound like binaural recordings on headphones.

Lol, nice one, daredevil. :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #3,099 of 3,746

Quote:

Nah, maybe someone with TF10 or IE8 would say it has flaws like that... for me the EX600 has very little centre soundspace, it's like an apple without a core, and the apple can't change colours like the EX700, it's just always green. =)

So basically you find it empty. Anemic sounding is what  mean by that.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #3,100 of 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I mean is that the overall sound of the IEM is more important than the number of drivers used.

Oh okay.

Yeah I prefer UE700 to TF10 and JH11 to JH13.

Plus I prefer FI-BA-SS very easily to SE535.

That is not my point.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,101 of 3,746

Quote:

I definitely agree with this. I'm going for the SA-43 based on its sound signature from averagejoes review. It has a very expansive sound stage, great imaging, detail, treble extension, adjustable bass buttons to change the sound. And a detailed mid range. These are all qualities that I am looking for and in a custom form. Also the acrylic filled shell makes for even better isolation (up to 40db I think).

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,102 of 3,746
Quote:

So basically you find it empty. Anemic sounding is what  mean by that.

No, an aenemic garden is all dying with no water, the EX600 has lots of water, but they have put nail polish on the plants and there is no core in the apples.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3,104 of 3,746

I said it had very little inner soundspace, if the soundspace is a sphere around your head (like a giant apple) then the apple has no core, do you get it?

Without the inner soundspace, sometimes the music can become a bit detached, lacking in intimacy.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3,105 of 3,746

Quote:

I said it had very little inner soundspace, if the soundspace is a sphere around your head (like a giant apple) then the apple has no core, do you get it?

Without the inner soundspace, sometimes the music can become a bit detached, lacking in intimacy.

So you want a more intimate presentation. So the EX600 presentation is too spread out for your liking? I found the EX1000 to have a nice sound stage but it was thin and horizontal. I wanted a more 3D like presentation with more weight to the notes as well as that long horizontal presentation. FX700 gives me that, plus more bass quantity while maintaining the quality. Timbre is second to non.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back