The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3,076 of 3,746
Quote:
To make it sound non-aggressive and less fatiguing while maintaining neutrality on the important places?

Maybe.  Sony's studio cans are pretty much all EQed like that along with low distortion in the flat region and higher distortion everywhere else.  I'm not sure exactly what purpose it supposed to be used for though.  You need higher than 2K even for normal speech.  Normal phones only go to like 3 or 4K and are prone to cause misunderstanding of certian consonants.  Of course on those its just straight up missing and not just attenuated a bit like on the Z1000s.

I wonder what they were designed for.  Somebody probably knows.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,078 of 3,746
It's a better name than Sennheiser's "Amperior" headphones. Though I don't find that name awful. Just not really inspired. Which is a shame, because Sennheiser came up with what I feel is the all-time best headphone name.

Orpheus.

It saddens me to think there are head-fiers out there who know of the headphones but don't get the significance of the name.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,080 of 3,746
I might agree with you about spaciousness. The HD 800 has space and detail that I find involving; I still remember listening to Kind of Blue and picking out the instruments, down to identifying the points in space where the horn bells were. It was like being in the front row, or being on the lip of the stage, a place nobody ever gets to be during a real concert.

Some time previous to that I got to try musicman59's recabled HD 800 on his own wonderful stereo, and the detail and space were amped up to surreal extremes: I distinctly remember the sensation of feeling like I was inside the guitar on a Fleetwood Mac concert recording. It was a remarkable accomplishment.

Detail and space have to be exaggerated a little to make up for the lack of other cues when we listen to recordings, but I guess everybody has their own notion of what's sufficient or excessive.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3,081 of 3,746
Quote:
Whats in those brownies!
very_evil_smiley.gif

More cocktails!

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3,082 of 3,746

Quote:
I might agree with you about spaciousness. The HD 800 has space and detail that I find involving; I still remember listening to Kind of Blue and picking out the instruments, down to identifying the points in space where the horn bells were. It was like being in the front row, or being on the lip of the stage, a place nobody ever gets to be during a real concert.

Some time previous to that I got to try musicman59's recabled HD 800 on his own wonderful stereo, and the detail and space were amped up to surreal extremes: I distinctly remember the sensation of feeling like I was inside the guitar on a Fleetwood Mac concert recording. It was a remarkable accomplishment.

Detail and space have to be exaggerated a little to make up for the lack of other cues when we listen to recordings, but I guess everybody has their own notion of what's sufficient or excessive.

Well, I mainly find the overall sound of the HD800 artificial, not necessarily because it's hyper-detailed. The SR-009 is even more detailed, but sounds more natural. The soundstage of the HD800 is indeed magnificent, and while I think it's a bit blown up in an artificial sense, I do enjoy it. The Qualia has a smaller stage but has better separation and more air between notes. Like the HD800 though the Qualia sounds a bit synthetic to me.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,083 of 3,746

Quote:
It's a better name than Sennheiser's "Amperior" headphones. Though I don't find that name awful. Just not really inspired. Which is a shame, because Sennheiser came up with what I feel is the all-time best headphone name.

Orpheus.

It saddens me to think there are head-fiers out there who know of the headphones but don't get the significance of the name.

They should come up with one called Apocalypse as it will be the headphone to end all searching :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #3,086 of 3,746
Quote:

Orpheus.

It makes me wonder what was the headphone's Eurydice. A flat-screen TV of impeccable quality which was only prototyped?

Was the headphone discontinued due to new management at Sennheiser whose tin ears failed to appreciate its perfection?

The regard held for liberal arts in nerd/technical communities at large is depressing. There's so much to learn about critical thinking, expression, and articulation. It's collectively held in disdain by the geek community, who then have to try to invent their own from scratch when describing why some music is more moving than other music (or how a given piece of equipment makes a piece of music more moving than it usually is), and it written like baby talk sometimes, or at best in the rote, factual but uninformative manner of a high school book report. Saddening because despite occasional evidence to the contrary the people on Head-fi are mostly not stupid people.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3,087 of 3,746
Quote:
He seems to change his mind a lot from what I've read of his impressions. Or maybe he uses some kind of enigmatic dialectical process for evaluating audio gear.

It's okay, he listens to speed-metal at high-volumes and he's honest in all his opinions, he just happens to change his mind and evaluate based on price, like Katun did.

Quote:

They are only flat from the 100hz to 2000hz. Not sure as to why there is a sudden dip after the 2000hz mark.

Check goldenears too, it's best to find two or three FR graphs, since they sometimes differ... it's too confusing sometimes to compare FR graphs I think, and both goldenears and Tyll have stated that they are inaccurate above 10kHz.  However... I think Sonove puts more effort into the 10kHz+ measurements.

Quote:
MuppetFace, how would you compare the SA5000 to the HD 800? They seem similar in intent, even if they look wildly different.

I think it's bad enough comparing the Final Bass with JH16, if we start comparing SA-5000 and SRH-940 with HD800 this thread will crash a server somewhere in Bolivia.

Quote:
If I ever design a high-end headphone I will name it The Detail Extractor, and sell it on all-night TV shows where black-and-white footage of sad shambling people wearing Ugg boots and Coby headphones is juxtaposed with lush color footage of very happy people baking brownies and drinking cocktails while wearing Detail Extractors.

Brilliant.

Quote:
Quote:
So what did you not like about the W4? Is it boring sounding?

Yeah I find it dull.

Thanks, I am crossing it off the list then, I have high hopes for 4-driver universal IEM's and there are only two of them, I hope the Sony dev. team knew what they were doing.......... if not, Jays cancelled their project (no idea why), and Vsonic are Vsonic, I'm not sure what will happen there... here's hoping. :)

Oh, and I tried a Vsonic two days ago and the cable was really weird, it smelled like a laboratory and was all brown and green...

Quote:
Final Audio Design Piano Apocalypse X

Release date:  December 21st, 2012.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #3,089 of 3,746

Quote:
Thanks, I am crossing it off the list then, I have high hopes for 4-driver universal IEM's and there are only two of them, I hope the Sony dev. team knew what they were doing.......... if not, Jays cancelled their project (no idea why), and Vsonic are Vsonic, I'm not sure what will happen there... here's hoping. :)

You should still try it though. Many people love it.

I don't care how many drivers or what drivers are used. I am more interested in the sound they work together to produce.

I think I will shoot for A2000X sometime next month if I don't find the pricing of DX100 attractive. I am loving my Sony walkman now so there is less incentive for me to get the DX100.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,090 of 3,746

Quote:

Much like bcasey.... I think I've lost quite a bit of interest in the Sony EX600 now... after I broke my EX700 and I've been finding new products recently, the flaws of the EX600 are finally becoming more apparent to me.

What are those flaws? Anemic sound, not enough weight? Treble grainy and edgy? Bass is nice but lacks quantity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back