The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,551 of 3,746
If you think the SA5000 seems fragile, just wait until you experience the Qualia. That thing is frighteningly delicate. Holding it in your hands you really feel like you might snap it in two, and that's coming from someone with small girl hands. I can't imagine a big guy with meat-paws would have a reassuring time with it.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2,553 of 3,746

Quote:

Are you going for the Korean 6-driver 4-way now instead of the LS8, wood maiden?

Still have my heart set on the LS8. Their warmer, somewhat less analytic sound (vs. the NT-6) is more appealing to me right now.

Plus super tweeters. Super tweeters.

I'd love to audition the NT-6 at some point though.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2,554 of 3,746
Quote:
Are you kidding me?  It's magnesium alloy with real leather, the leather always felt cold when I put it on and magnesium has one of the highest weight / strength ratios possible IIRC since it's the lightest metal second only to Lithium.

That's why I said "parts".  It looks like something that was recovered from a crashed alien spaceship and ghetto-rigged back into a functional state with inferior Earth materials and technology.  Parts of it seem strong and durable and others look or function like random crap I pulled out of boxes of junk I use as raw materials for my DIY projects.

The cord felt cheap and easy to damage.  The cloth on it had an annoying texture and even by standards of cloth covered cords it was annoyingly microphonic and prone to tying itself in knots.  The sound would also sometime randomly cut out when I moved a bit as well.  I got a bad sample but I can't help questioning their QC.  The cloth covered cables on the Denon Dx000 series is better than the SA5000's in all those respects.

The mesh on the headband felt cheap and fragile.  It looked prone to being damaged from snagging on something.  Its been a while since I owned them so I don't remember exactly but either the hinge for horizontal adjustment or the slider felt cheap and fragile to me as well.

They have plenty of good qualities and none of that stuff is the end of the world if you like their sound but I thought it was annoying.

Quote:
If you think the SA5000 seems fragile, just wait until you experience the Qualia. That thing is frighteningly delicate. Holding it in your hands you really feel like you might snap it in two, and that's coming from someone with small girl hands. I can't imagine a big guy with meat-paws would have a reassuring time with it.

I need my stuff to be pretty sturdy if its going to last me very long.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,555 of 3,746

Huh I thought the cable was fine, actually it never tangled because I always kept it tied up and kept the SA5k inside it's satin box. =)

It's possible the Japanese they've hired to make SA-5000's all day don't take their job as seriously as the Sony employees in Thailand.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,556 of 3,746
Quote:
Still have my heart set on the LS8. Their warmer, somewhat less analytic sound (vs. the NT-6) is more appealing to me right now.

Plus super tweeters. Super tweeters.

I'd love to audition the NT-6 at some point though.

Just FYI, Rooth and Unique Melody share the same lab (there are pictures online), Master Xiao used to work there and designed the LS series and taught apprentices, he eventually left to work alone, a.k.a. Gui Ling.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2,557 of 3,746

Lol http://i.imgur.com/vFxk4.jpg

I just compared FXC51 and Sony EX600 with this EQ raising the volume, the FXC51 won, the EX600 started distorting and just didn't have very much sub-bass, the FXC51 doesn't distort (trance) and just keeps pounding like a wub-woofer.

I even turned on bass boost on my stereo so that's +16dB I think, incredible JVC!!

The volume is probably around 90dB or higher.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,558 of 3,746

JVC Victor FX700 it is for you then my young padowon :wink:.
Quote:

Lol http://i.imgur.com/vFxk4.jpg

I just compared FXC51 and Sony EX600 with this EQ raising the volume, the FXC51 won, the EX600 started distorting and just didn't have very much sub-bass, the FXC51 doesn't distort (trance) and just keeps pounding like a wub-woofer.

I even turned on bass boost on my stereo so that's +16dB I think, incredible JVC!!

The volume is probably around 90dB or higher.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2,559 of 3,746

Quote:
I didn't get you. What made you to create these two theories? 

What I see now is that Sony desperately trying to make a come back in the mobile market ( which is becoming very important and crowded) where it has been loosing it's positions for years. Sony recently bought Ericsson's shares in the joint venture so it became a unified company again. To support their new line of smart-phones, their tablets and a new Z-series Android player they produced a new line of IEMs with a competitive price policy and a sleek design.

Quote:

mutabor... last time I checked Sony sold the most headphones in America right ahead of Skullcandy, and first place in Japan, not to mention more popular than Apple in DAP's over there.

Sony Ericsson was a mobile phone venture only, Sony mobile phones weren't very popular and it was a successful partnership, mobile phones is only a sector of Sony.

I made the theories because the XBA-1 and XBA-2 aren't getting any limelight, they don't seem very good in the reviews compared to Etymotic ER-4S or ATH-CK10 so I made two two theories as to why that is.

If you both don't mind I'd like to throw in my own two cents.

First of all mutabor you're only partially right. Sony is a huge company producing various products in various different markets. In the headphone and audio fields in general they haven't been losing anything and if anything to my knowledge they've kept and quietly grown their market share. Yes granted they lost out in the worldwide DAP market to Apple but who hasn't. Even Microsoft with it's deep pockets killed their iPod killer the Zune because they knew that the iPod had become so deeply imbedded into the American/European psyche as a cultural phenomenon it was pointless to compete. Even so Sony made out better then most other companies because in the Pacific rim countries their DAP's have also gained a positive cultural status due to the fact the generations of people in that part of the world have been exposed to Sony by far longer then to Apple. Of coarse in the modern big scheme of things regional domination no longer pays as big an impact as it traditionally did, in the world of mega corps it's world market share that sustains a large business. Last time I checked though even though Sony may have lost market share in  DAP sales to Apple they were still making an acceptable profit in that arena as well as good profits else where in general consumer electronics such as laptops TV's gaming councils receivers etc etc etc. As big as Apple may be becoming they still don't generate anywhere near the cash flow that Sony does nor do they drive various markets like Sony can. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for the iPod and the iPhone and now the iPad Apple would still be a piddly sized company because they cannot compete in the computer field like other companies can. The Mac heads out there will probably jump all over me for saying that but it's true. Yes they compete on the high end of the computer market realm and yes they've cultivated a hardcore following of Mac enthusiasts but OSX is still under 10% of the world OS desktop user base and the bottom line is what counts at the end of the day. Anyone who knows the inner workings of a computer will tell you you can build a system matched spec per spec to any Mac and spend far less doing so or buy a PC matched spec per spec at a cheaper price. Case in point recently I bought a Acer desktop for my mom as a xmas gift. It's packing an i5 4 gigs of memory 1 TB hard drive 8 usb ports etc etc etc. I got it on sale after taxes for 487.97 Canadian. I dare anyone to show me a brand new Mac with an i5 1 TB HD and 4 gigs of ram for under 500 bones.

As for the conversation pertaining to Ericsson I've had mixed feelings as far as Ericsson is concerned. Ericsson seems like it's had little or no vision over the last 3 or 4 years. Their android Xperia handset the times I played around with it it was terrible. The UI was counter intuitive clunky horrendously thought out and I have no other way of expressing it except to say it was just butt ugly all around. I really wish Sony would take a more hands on approach with Ericsson because if they don't I think Ericsson will be no better then a ball and chain attached to Sony's heel. That being said I'd have to be very ignorant to say Ericsson was a lost cause. The problem in my view is Ericsson and Sony are very much not of the same business culture and until they both figure out how to seamlessly integrate their internal workings as companies Sony Ericsson will continue being without vision. Just my view, everyone else is entitled to theirs of coarse.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,560 of 3,746
Quote:
JVC Victor FX700 it is for you then my young padowon :wink:.

I just thought of an even more amusing way to misspell padawan
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,561 of 3,746

DigitalFreak Sony Ericsson have had more success than Sony and Ericsson did seperately prior to the partnership, at the start their phones were not very good however the Xperia X1 had the highest user ranking of all phones on some review site.

This all depends on which country you're in too, in some places Blackberry doesn't exist, in others it's the most popular phone there is, etc.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2,563 of 3,746

Quote:

DigitalFreak Sony Ericsson have had more success than Sony and Ericsson did seperately prior to the partnership, at the start their phones were not very good however the Xperia X1 had the highest user ranking of all phones on some review site.

This all depends on which country you're in too, in some places Blackberry doesn't exist, in others it's the most popular phone there is, etc.

True enough by the way I'm Canadian and around here you see tons of Blackberries. I dunno, I think Sony Ericsson could and should be more and the X1 should have been more. Far as I know it didn't rate very well in N. America. Like I said just my personal opinion. Congrats on liking the FXC51 are the mids and highs pretty decent sounding too?

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,564 of 3,746

Nah the overall sound quality / refinement of the FXC51 isn't very good, I think I wrote yesterday violins sound like an Erhu on a Casio keyboard.

Naturally it can't touch the ER-4 and RE272 in pure sound quality, but it surpasses them both if you want a sub-woofer in your ear lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back