The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #11,386 of 21,761
Quote:
A statement product doesn't have to make a statement price-wise. There's really no excuse, especially when you're a company with enough resources to get manufacturing discounts because of high volume.

It doesn't have to, but if people are still buying it regardless of the massive price hike and if the loss in custom is countered by an increase in profit...capitalism.

May 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #11,387 of 21,761
Quote:

I would venture to guess that he saw the glass and made a snap judgement (I could certainly be wrong here).  Assuming you were using open-baffle or bipolar designs and actually had them sitting in front of the glass, the glass could certainly cause some odd reflections. 

You guessed right I was worried about the glass, but not having heard, or being familiar with the setup I cant guess at what it sounds like.  I don't really have much insight to offer on room acoustics, but I also don't think Romy the Cat was hanging for my expert opinion
wink.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #11,388 of 21,761
Audio ramblings:

I got my JKSPDIF MKIII (USB -> SPDIF) a few days ago.  It was incredibly buggy and unreliable at first, but then started working correctly yesterday because... magic?  I don't know, but I do know it sounds pretty good!  It's actually more noticeable with my speakers than I thought it would be, making all the imaging more precise, and makes my LCD-3's sound a bit cleaner. 

The only downside now is the fact that it can only run for around 8 hours at a time before its batteries need to charge.  I thought they would charge when it was on when I bought it, but that's not the case.  It also has the same bugginess with AIM sound effects that the USB interface in my W4S DAC2 did, but that's hardly a problem and it lacks the plethora of other issues the W4S' hiface board also had. 

If I could go back in time, though, I think I might've saved a bit by ordering a second Aqvox USB power supply and the new Matrix XMOS-based USB -> SPDIF.  Combining the two would give me most (if not all) the benefit of this JKenny box and allow me to leave it on all the time.  It's also worth noting that my Stello U3 (also XMOS) has never given me any issues.

Still waiting for my EC Electra.  Some dude had me worried at first when he said that the silver cap upgrade option (which I requested) was a poor choice for the SR009's, but then he retracted that statement after the amp warmed up a bit and said there was no reason not to get them ^_^.  I plan on using it with the stock tubes for a week or two to have a control in place before I start messing around with tube rolling.  Hopefully it won't end up costing me as much as the BA's tubes did. 

May 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #11,390 of 21,761
In other news... Nokia released a new budget phone to beef up their lower end.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4314844/nokia-asha-501-new-platform-launch

After my experience with Android and being in a class of iPhone users, I have grown to despise current mobile OSes for being too clunky, too walled, etc. 
Suffice to say this new phone actually got me interested. If you have no real need for an app ecosystem and just need a phone for communication and daily organizer, I seriously can't think of anything better:

For a "dumbphone" it actually looks pretty cool.

DAMMIT NOKIA if you weren't too hubristic with Symbian back then and innovate and evolve it like you're doing here FOR THE ******* "DUMB"PHONE OS you could probably be.... I don't know, not with Microsoft. /mad

I mean, that looks positively like what a better Symbian could look like. This saddens me all too greatly.
-------------
What's up with these monitors and the wub-wub?

Maybe somewhere along the way almost all of them realized that IEMs are the best way to feel subbass like what subwoofers are to speakers. I mean, I've had used two such IEMs now (one is a bassy mess that leaves my ears sore, and the other is the 5-parter reviewed one).

That or your grand IEM theory reached them and they are enraptured by such insight that they just have to make them all wub-wub.
--------------
We both agreed that the AD1000X doesn't have thw grain / incoherence that the AD900X has, and also has a peculiar colouration in the lower treble (like a less extreme AD2000) that makes female vocals just awesome

ughhhhhh not enough moneyyyyyyyyyyyyy

May 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #11,391 of 21,761
May 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #11,393 of 21,761
@Muppet: I have 3dd on order so I will report dutifully. I am wondering If the UM reputation for bad demos is not just ONE bad demo, because I only recall one bad first hand experience, the rest being hearesay.
The StageDiver 3 are not yet wubwubing my way as the boss once again responded to my harassement by advising to be patient.
Concerning the ME10 - Dx I could grab a couple on Taobao, or at least ask the guy. Payment on taobao sometimes requires a PHD in Zen.
For Fitear I will have to wait :frowning2: no Fujiya so no Fitear, no Kuro and no SE846 for me :frowning2:
What makes Fitear so special for you, is it the build /.Japanese art of perfection ?

May 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #11,396 of 21,761
According to the company, people claiming stock are lying. Or maybe he just does not like me :) Anyways I have a good feeling about these.
They seem to be in stock here. Only question is if it's worth getting over the plethora of other fairly good sub £500 universals. Maybe I'll just wait until my exams are over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back