The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #11,371 of 21,761
I feel like I did something bad lol...

May 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #11,372 of 21,761
I'd love to see a price breakdown for the new Shures. I just don't understand why they're so expensive.

I hope this trend isn't allowed to continue. Next thing you know, iems and headphones will be priced in the higher end speaker range for no good reason.

May 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #11,374 of 21,761
Quote:
[size=medium]Dear drez, [/size]

[size=medium]I am replying to your post #11334. [/size]

[size=medium]You proposed that in the depicted environment the acoustics would be crap. I am sure that you have highly advanced understanding of the way how playback systems operate in acoustic environments of listening rooms. So, would you be so kind to share some of your observations and educate public and me in particularly why you feel in this situation the acoustics is crap? I am very interested to learn.[/size]

[size=medium]Rgs, Romy[/size]

Eep.  My bad.  It was a throw-away comment, which has thusly been thrown away.  You called me out.
ph34r.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #11,375 of 21,761
Quote:
Proprietary BA's* with all that precision metal work on their exteriors to look cool.

* Although they could be good?

Well, the whole FXD80 is made of stainless steel and looks incredible. It costs $40.

I really hope the $999 price really goes towards paying off incredible R&D costs and the Shure is mindblowing. Like a B-2 Spirit of the headphone world.

May 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #11,377 of 21,761
Quote:

Well, the whole FXD80 is made of stainless steel and looks incredible. It costs $40.

Not here in the States... Amazon = $75. 
frown.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #11,378 of 21,761
Quote:
I'd love to see a price breakdown for the new Shures. I just don't understand why they're so expensive.

I hope this trend isn't allowed to continue. Next thing you know, iems and headphones will be priced in the higher end speaker range for no good reason.

They're more statement iems than cutting-edge, that's for Shure. The packaging + engraved drivers (conveniently visible through the transparent shell) just shout premium. 

May 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #11,379 of 21,761
Not here in the States... Amazon = $75.  :frowning2:

Which means here in Canada it will probably cost anywhere from 100 to 150 :frowning2:

I'm off to work, Romy number 1 and Romy The Cat, play nice while I'm gone you two. Be naughty and poppa drez will take away your audio equipment for a week.

May 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #11,380 of 21,761
May 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #11,381 of 21,761
Quote:

I really hope the $999 price really goes towards paying off incredible R&D costs and the Shure is mindblowing. Like a B-2 Spirit of the headphone world.

If the FXD80 didn't appear to have really quite wide nozzles, I'd buy one to try. £52 in the UK isn't too bad.

Looks like we're getting somewhere, either the new Shure is amazing and their answer to IEMs like the TG334 or it's an expensive duck like the K3003. I'm hoping if they sound good, the tech will filter down the range.

May 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #11,382 of 21,761
Quote:
Proprietary BA's* with all that precision metal work on their exteriors to look cool.

* Although they could be good?

So are iems costing under $500. 

What upsets me is that other manufacturers are watching. They'll start pricing their iems in that range, or higher, simply because that's how it's "supposed" to be.

FAD gets away with it because their products are so niche, but here you have a major company like Shure breaking the price ceiling. 

When I got into this hobby, the hottest iems were the FX700 (wood body and diaphragm!), SM3, GR07 (a diaphragm made from frickin bacterial metabolites), and the Ortofon moving armatures. I'm damn sure the salaries for engineers hasn't tripled over the years, nor have the price of materials and factory prices gone up by that much...if anything, the salaries have gone down.

A statement product doesn't have to make a statement price-wise. There's really no excuse, especially when you're a company with enough resources to get manufacturing discounts because of high volume.

May 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #11,383 of 21,761
Quote:

[size=medium]MuppetFace,[/size]

[size=medium]You would be a bad Sherlock Holmes. [/size]

[size=medium]This is not impersonated account. I am Romy the Cat, the guy who runs the GoodSoundClub site and I do not feel that I am pathetic. My site references hit high volume traffic from head-fi.org and I was naturally wondering what it was all about.  I do like this site, even though I very seldom if ever visit it. [/size]

[size=medium]Anyhow I did come across drez’s criticism of my acoustic environment and I was wondering what it might be all about. For sure, his comments might be just another interment audio Moron™ running his empty mouth but it also might be that the guy has something useful critical to say. Why do not extend him an opportunity to share his view, that what I had proposed…[/size]

I would venture to guess that he saw the glass and made a snap judgement (I could certainly be wrong here).  Assuming you were using open-baffle or bipolar designs and actually had them sitting in front of the glass, the glass could certainly cause some odd reflections. 

May 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #11,384 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:

The precedent has already been set by the fitear 334, k3003, ie800.  Shure wants some of that thousand dollar flagship action too.

May 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #11,385 of 21,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back