The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 9, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #11,326 of 21,761
Quote:
The metal thing? It's used to change the treble filters in the nozzle.

Can I use that to change My filter? 
tongue.gif

May 9, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #11,327 of 21,761
May 9, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #11,328 of 21,761
Quote:
I finished reading Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus the other day. Excellent book, and it has some very interesting points about the structure of this world and the consequences of such structure. Some of the ideas are hard to grasp, and I plan to reread the book after taking a course of fundamental mathematics (that is, logic).

This has been the first philosophy book I've read so far, and it was an excellent introduction. I'm anxious to read more. Thanks a bunch Mutabor for recommending Wittgenstein to me.

Wittgenstein is a really great philosopher to read. Dare I say fun? I think he's actually easier to read first hand than the books others have written trying to explain him, as they tend to needlessly complicate his thought. I recommend looking into his later work, Philosophical Investigations, because he really changes his outlook on a lot of matters and turns the Tractatus on its head. Wittgenstein was something of a tortured soul---not surprisingly---and was always revising his thought, so some will agree more with his earlier words, others his latter. However I think the evolution of his through itself says a lot and is itself valuable. It's something that estranged him from a lot of people, including his former mentors during the era of the Tractatus.

G. E. Moore is also really fun to read. In a way, Moore and Wittgenstein come closest to recreating the feeling of reading Plato for the first time, just as far as that "doing philosophy" feeling goes.

Also if you're feeling brave check out Badiou's Being and Event. Actually that's a terrible idea, but I'll stand by it.

May 9, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #11,331 of 21,761
Quote:
I can't believe iRiver is releasing an AK120 with correct impedance and dual DAC for only....1299 euros, i.e. 1700 USD. I might buy a castle instead.

I'm not really that surprised, more 'meh'.  What would you expect with recent trends like Senn ie800 and AKG whateveritscalled.
Quote:
Don't worry. Some people evidently think it'll come down in price and they'll be able to get it for less than 1k USD.

Yeah. Right.

$1k is pretty optimistic, but If I were a reseller there's no way I would stock these unless there was a healthy margin.  There will never be a large enough sales volume.  RWA will not be pleased with the lowered impedance though :D

May 9, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #11,332 of 21,761
Quote:
  So today in class I ended up getting to listen to the violinists of the Kelemen quartet. One had a guarneri, and the other had a stradivari. I can't say that I was impressed, but that was probably due to the acoustics or me just listening to top tier violins w/ god tier players on youtube a lot. They apparently have a concert this friday @8:00 PM, and I could possibly see what such instruments/players truly have to offer (they were just playing a lot of short pieces/caprices in class), but I got exams to study for. It's a sad life sometimes. Discount to $8 for students, too ):

I met Midori once, in person and spoke to her for a minute or two. I was half a feet away from her ex-Huberman Guarneri. My hands got a little tingly even though I knew I wasn't ever going to touch it.

May 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #11,334 of 21,761
Wittgenstein is a really great philosopher to read. Dare I say fun? I think he's actually easier to read first hand than the books others have written trying to explain him, as they tend to needlessly complicate his thought. I recommend looking into his later work, Philosophical Investigations, because he really changes his outlook on a lot of matters and turns the Tractatus on its head. Wittgenstein was something of a tortured soul---not surprisingly---and was always revising his thought, so some will agree more with his earlier words, others his latter. However I think the evolution of his through itself says a lot and is itself valuable. It's something that estranged him from a lot of people, including his former mentors during the era of the Tractatus.

G. E. Moore is also really fun to read. In a way, Moore and Wittgenstein come closest to recreating the feeling of reading Plato for the first time, just as far as that "doing philosophy" feeling goes.

Also if you're feeling brave check out Badiou's Being and Event. Actually that's a terrible idea, but I'll stand by it.

I never imagined reading philosophy would be such a great way to pass time.

I've put one of Moore's works on my list, as well as Philosophical Investigations. I hope this won't get out of hand, and I come into a situation where I'll spend hundreds of euros on books on a regular basis.

May 9, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #11,335 of 21,761
I do enjoy a good philosophical essay but they usually lack dragons and mechas and living interstellar spacecraft to my taste.
I never imagined reading philosophy would be such a great way to pass time.

I've put one of Moore's works on my list, as well as Philosophical Investigations. I hope this won't get out of hand, and I come into a situation where I'll spend hundreds of euros on books on a regular basis.

May 9, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #11,336 of 21,761

Quote:
I tend to think that if any company bangs on about bass, they will deliver bass. XBA-4 for example. I have huge love for dark but competent IEMs...

I concur.  Marketing reads BASS BASS BASS BASS midrange and treble are also good.  It's a fairly safe (a shure thing? har-har) bet that they will have elevated bass, and therefore that I can excuse myself from buying them :D

May 9, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #11,337 of 21,761
Today, iRiver announced their next flagship DAP following the success of AK100... the AK120.
http://www.betanews.net/article/578145

It looks similar to the AK100 but larger in size, as it contains 2 DAC's and 2 amps, one for each channel (balanced?). With double the components, the price is more than double, said to be around $1,500. If it's any consolation, a decent case made of Italian leather is included in the package.

Still, the price tag of $1.5K doesn't convince an AK100 owner like me to look further.

May 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #11,338 of 21,761
Quote:
Today, iRiver announced their next flagship DAP following the success of AK100... the AK120.
http://www.betanews.net/article/578145

It looks similar to the AK100 but larger in size, as it contains 2 DAC's and 2 amps, one for each channel (balanced?). With double the components, the price is more than double, said to be around $1,500. If it's any consolation, a decent case made of Italian leather is included in the package.

Still, the price tag of $1.5K doesn't convince an AK100 owner like me to look further.

Is it just me? or does audio equiptment seem to get more and more unaffordable? 

May 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #11,339 of 21,761
Is it just me? or does audio equiptment seem to get more and more unaffordable? 

Nope. It's not just you. I remember when the height of my ambitions in audiophillia was to own the IE8 and a D7000. Then the IE80 kinda sucked and the D7000 is EOL and overpriced. Not to mention the DAPs costing more than a carbon framed bike...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back