The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #11,313 of 21,761
Quote:
Just noticed - the nozzles aren't god-awful plastic and thin. They also look to be a bit thicker than what the Olives can usually fit on - did they change the tip bore size on the Olives?

DEAR GOD THE NOZZLES CAN COME OFF NO MORE SNAPPED TIPS WITH OLIVES.

I liked the thin nozzles. Because I have ungodly small canals.

Quote:

Wait, are you guys serious about this?  Because if so, I could help.  Thing is, you wouldn't be getting the best "deal" from me because we have a hideously high sales tax here in CA - nearly 10% atm - because the health care and educational needs of illegal immigrants are NOT cheap.  Some states don't have sales tax at all (like Massachusettes I believe).  Perhaps there is someone here that lives in such a state?

10% of $50 is only $5. Which is £35 and still a massive discount from the UK price gouge. I rather expect it would be curbstomped in terms of performance by my PFE though.

Quote:
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se846.html

Dat new Shure goodness. 

NINE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE OF YOUR US CURRENCY 

Who among you shall take the leap?

Hmmm. Well, the little video segment from Jude mentions that he doesn't use the treble reducer tip, and I like my treble quite sparkly. I'll hold off and hope Shure bring one to the October London Meet.

Quote:
I really dislike the way that companies are beginning to nonchalantly charge $1K plus for iems.

Once one company sees it can get away with price gouging the consumer, all the others want in on the party. 
frown.gif

May 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #11,314 of 21,761
Smoothies this late at night gives me gas.

THOSE WATERMARKS...

I liked the thin nozzles. Because I have ungodly small canals.

What's killing me ATM is how the only decent tip combination with the W4s can't be bothered to stay on the thin nozzles, and how I need to buffer it with plenty of tip adapters so that I can get a decent seal. Reshelling before the warranty wears off has never seemed more appealing than as of last week.

May 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #11,315 of 21,761
Quote:

it's the "MSRP retail". I'm guessing it will stay at 1k when everything settles down. Only earphone solutions has them listed and they have a lot of discounts as well.

EDIT: I am persnally surprised that they focused on the "true subwoofer". I felt it was the treble that was lacking in the 535. 

Really? I found the treble nice and hot........ however. It is terrible with the wrong genre (aka terrible mastering) 

I have absolutely nothing against my SE535, however I think I have to stop listening to pop music 
frown.gif

May 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #11,317 of 21,761
Quote:
Really? I found the treble nice and hot........ however. It is terrible with the wrong genre (aka terrible mastering) 

I have absolutely nothing against my SE535, however I think I have to stop listening to pop music 
frown.gif

Yes, I've tried it on several occasions and that's the impression it leaves me. Though, I am aware that other people think it is quite sibilant. It's quite polarizing, really 
size]

May 9, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #11,318 of 21,761
Quote:
so much stuff. It's an eyesore, but it looks pretty organized and user-friendly at a glance. Of 6 seconds. 

It practically screams "please don't read me!"

Quote:
I have to fly to NY last minute for 5 weeks !

You make that sound like a bad thing.  Maybe you could tear yourself away for just a couple of days?

Quote:
Quote:
Don't think anyone has it yet, but sure I guess an appreciation thread is warranted. 
wink.gif

I guess they'd just change the title of the 14 page New Shure IEM thread, would be more efficient since there's already a convo going on there.

Minimal fuss I suppose... though realistically I think Jude's review thread on it (I'm assuming where will be one) will probably wind up being it.

Quote:

The price is interesting and they look quite pretty to these eyes.

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds about right. $1,300 is likely the MSRP, while street value is closer to 1K. It's a nice lookin IEM fo sho, but I'll wait for those impressions to roll in to separate reality from the PR spiel

How long do you think it'll be before someone starts comparing it to the K3003?

Quote:
More along the lines of the K3003 pricing...

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, dunno about that.  But while we're on the subject of alternatives to a reshell...  Veyron, would you be interested in a temporary replacement?

It doesn't seem that far off from what you're used to, and it's on sale for only $50 on Amazon right now.

I have my XBA3 as an daily beater ATM...... and I dont think I need another IEM........

Oh, well not necessary then.  Nevermind.

Quote:
I tend to think that if any company bangs on about bass, they will deliver bass. XBA-4 for example. I have huge love for dark but competent IEMs...

Well except for Sony during the 90s when they put bass on every package, as if it temporarily became a synonym for sound.

Quote:

Oh please no, let's not and pretend we did.

May 9, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #11,322 of 21,761
I finished reading Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus the other day. Excellent book, and it has some very interesting points about the structure of this world and the consequences of such structure. Some of the ideas are hard to grasp, and I plan to reread the book after taking a course of fundamental mathematics (that is, logic).

This has been the first philosophy book I've read so far, and it was an excellent introduction. I'm anxious to read more. Thanks a bunch Mutabor for recommending Wittgenstein to me.

May 9, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #11,323 of 21,761
Quote:

Has Muppetface been running an entire audio forum in secret?
http://www.romyhome.com/

YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!!!

I'm not a cat; I'm a shark.

I've encountered that site before. Dunno much about it. They seem to be horn speaker enthusiasts, just with a cursory look-around. Also slightly unhinged judging from the New Age spiritual enlightenment thru audiophilia motif. <3

Quote:

I think it's safe to say that the new IEM is a statement more than an actual innovation with the "True Subwoofer". They deliberately chose the clear shell and deliberately laser-etched/engraved their logo and driver number on each armature. They probably could have just kept a solid shell ala 535, got rid of the driver markings and not mention things about "others taking 2 years to catch up technologically" and just called it the 635 but they know they can obviously squeeze it for more.

Probably, yeah. Seems like every big name is getting into the $1k+ universal game now, which it totally not unexpected. Blame AKG. Shure, Sure, FAD was doing it before them, but they brought it out of the shadows into the limelight.

What I want to know is What is this thing?

Is that the "true subwoofer?" Please tell me that isn't the true subwoofer. You're going to look like such a royal prat if it is. Which means I'll have to get one.

I don't much care for them. I had a few as a grad student, back before I was really into IEMs, and they pretty much all broke with normal use. Another developed a bad channel imbalance within a month of my buying it. TBH that was part of the reason for my staying away from high-end IEMs for so long: I assumed they were all like that.

As for sound, well, I their previous flagship IEM didn't sound so good to me. "Muddy" is a pretty good description going from memory. Their full-sized headphones are more likable IMHO, though the SRH-1440 is pretty rough and unpleasant for the money. The SRH-1840 I actually liked a bit. Had a warm-but-detailed sound. Some folks I know and respect called it "lo-fi sounding," but personally I don't hear that. Granted it doesn't scale anywhere near the HD800, but if you're going to use it with a modest setup I'd recommend it over the HD800. In a way it reminds me of the SA5000, only with a warmer tint. The SA5000 is an overall better headphone in terms of refinement however, and it costs less.

Quote:

Not Shure-related but...http://www.head-fi.org/t/663188/the-astell-kern-ak120

So what does this one do?

It sits there costing too much.

I actually love the form factor and UI of the AK100. It's probably my favorite DAP in that category. Sound-wise I though it sounded great with *certain* IEMs but not others. If this model retains that same form and functionality but sounds better with a wider array of devices, then in and of itself it's probably awesome. With that price however I can't really get into it.

May 9, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #11,324 of 21,761
Quote:
@ Warren: I am leaving for NY on Monday, so going to Tokyo this weekend is a bit pushing it
smily_headphones1.gif
October maybe.

Oh.. well... okay then.  But hey, NY is fun too! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Oh please no, let's not and pretend we did.

lol :wink:

Hmm, the presence of ham and cheese has been detected... compromise accepted.

Quote:

What I want to know is What is this thing?

That's the special tip included for robots and automatons that'll buy it just because (and for absolutely no other reason whatsover).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back