The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #9,796 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
does Bioshock Infinite have an awesome, totally unforeseen twist like that of the original Bioshock?

You realize that it's not logically possible to answer that question, right?

Answering that a game has a twist in of itself is kind of a spoiler I think.

A little bit yeah.

Quote:
Actually, there are two potential issues with the Tera Player, high output impedance and capacitors in the output stage.

So, in a nutshell, BAs are hit or miss with the TP and all phones < 50ohms will show some bass roll-off. The 32ohm ones less severe so than the 16ohm ones.

While all this may sound a bit disheartening, the TP's shortcomings may actually benefit some IEMs, like the overly bassy IE800, which turn into better balanced phones when driven from the TP.

Hey, thanks for summing that up James! 
smile.gif

Quote:

@Warren
Not creepy at all 
rolleyes.gif
 down town dallas is creepy though. 

In what way?  I know very little about that part of the country, outside of having driven through it while enjoying it's Waffle Houses.

Quote:
It would be terable 
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Quote:
Why is it such a ghost town on here today? Hellloooooo calling all cars anyone out there?

I spent the whole day in Columbia. 
wink.gif

Quote:
I've been avoiding posting more about them for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I doubt my "qualifications" as stupid as that sounds..

confused.gif
  Not stupid, but a little bewildering.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #9,797 of 21,761
Quote:
just bought the flac.

Where's that available? I dunno if I want a digital download or to own the physical disc.

*Scratch that, I can buy the physical disc today and there is artwork on the slipcase :3

Quote:
Not sure if any of you guys are into film making, but I just saw something awesome. This contraption, MoVI, is a motion-stabilizing gyro that's gonna make Steadicams essentially obsolete. Yes, it's pro-level equipment, but imagine in a few years when this thing gets incorporated into consumer-level stuff.

That is some super nice stuff. I think steadicam operators better start updating their resumes heh.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #9,798 of 21,761
Quote:
Not sure if any of you guys are into film making, but I just saw something awesome. This contraption, MoVI, is a motion-stabilizing gyro that's gonna make Steadicams essentially obsolete. Yes, it's pro-level equipment, but imagine in a few years when this thing gets incorporated into consumer-level stuff.
 ​

I only have that one video to go by, but it doesn't seem as steady or as controllable when tracking as a Steadicam is.

It definitely gets close, and if it costs a fraction of the price and doesn't require operator training and certification, then yes it's going to be a huge boon to video and smaller-scale film production.

I also suspect that if it's purely a mechanical (or mechanical-electric) system, it's not likely to trickle down much into consumer-level or prosumer gear. It's harder to economize on machinery and retain functionality, compared to electronics.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #9,800 of 21,761
I always get this song stuck in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEFO_i8iUWY
Gentle Giant was quite an interesting band.

That Auto Mag I had my eye on went for waaay more money than I expected, over $3000! Once again, I miss out on one of the greatest pistols ever made. Sigh....

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #9,801 of 21,761
Quote:
Still, with a headphone like the Abyss that costs 5,500 USD, that deposit turns out to be almost $300. That's why I was a little taken aback by the response I got from the manufacturer. Basically "sure you can audition my headphones, but you'll have to pay a non refundable $300 for the privilege of doing so." It would make more sense to me for them to offer a demo of the Abyss themselves for a full price deposit, but one that is also fully refunded after the demo.

The problem here is that the headphone can only be sold after the audition and return as an open box sale which attracts a discount and hence less profit on the sale.

I ten sets were sent and returned it means ten sets that can't be sold as NIB which is 3k$ out of pocket.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #9,802 of 21,761
Quote:
I always get this song stuck in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEFO_i8iUWY
Gentle Giant was quite an interesting band.

That Auto Mag I had my eye on went for waaay more money than I expected, over $3000! Once again, I miss out on one of the greatest pistols ever made. Sigh....

thanks for the song :D I haven't heard many like this or any. It has that groove. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #9,805 of 21,761
Quote:

Even if you're not into equipment, the short is still worth watching, as it's a highly kinetic piece shot by Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and director Vincent LaForet:
 ​

This is going to change a lot for shorts / low budget films...

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #9,806 of 21,761
Quote:
This is going to change a lot for shorts / low budget films...

It sort of makes me think of taking the whole principle of image stabilization and applying it to a rig. I wonder what happens if you use IS and then this thing simultaneously.

Speaking of rigs, I'm thinking of buying this thing: http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/follow-focus and some of the other accessories. I really need to shoot more video and improve my skills :p

Slightly related peeve: there are many cameras (like the Sony Alpha or the Pentax K series) that have in-body image stabilization, meaning that theoretically you can attach very cheap old  lenses onto new SLR's and get stabilised motion. The Alphas offer versatile video shooting, but unfortunately old lenses do not communicate electronically with the Alpha to let the camera know what focal length the lens is, so IS is disabled. On the Pentax cameras, they let you manually input a focal length on an unrecognised lens, but they aren't up to scratch for video. This is v. annoying.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9,807 of 21,761
Any fans of the Heavy Metal animated movie here? As crappy as some of the animation is, it still has a cool factor that is quite unique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2_gOpU0eWU
DF should love this clip.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #9,808 of 21,761
Quote:
I only have that one video to go by, but it doesn't seem as steady or as controllable when tracking as a Steadicam is.

It definitely gets close, and if it costs a fraction of the price and doesn't require operator training and certification, then yes it's going to be a huge boon to video and smaller-scale film production.

I also suspect that if it's purely a mechanical (or mechanical-electric) system, it's not likely to trickle down much into consumer-level or prosumer gear. It's harder to economize on machinery and retain functionality, compared to electronics.

It's a little more wobbly than a full-rig Steadicam, but this is completely handheld. I'm sure it'll be completely smooth if there were more than one point of contact with the body. This thing is mostly going to benefit productions that want a small crew that wants to travel light. There are some wedding cinematographers that shoot with Steadicams right now (I know one), and that just seems ridiculous for weddings. It looks like this thing isn't going to require any certification; the thing about Steadicam operators is that they have to learn to be very good at framing themselves (well, depending on how good they are), so they still have the ability to do other jobs such as camera operator, etc. and I'm sure they'd excel at using something like this.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #9,810 of 21,761
Quote:
I know this is about 50 pages later, but today I learned that Abyss headphone has " The Best Headphone Ever" trademarked.

If they're giving away trademarks so easily I have a couple that I was intending to save -
"Pineapple Shortcakes are forever"
"All hail Zalgo, master of tropical-fruit garnished confections"
"M50s - outperforming $30000 Orpheus rigs since 2008"
"Audioqueebs Cubic Zirconium Cables - these won't take your neighbour's souls and feed on virgin lamb blood, at least we hope so"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back