The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #9,781 of 21,761
Quote:
The OR5 is getting very high praise from some folks I typically trust for non-BS impressions, so I'm really curious about it. Basically they felt it made a very big difference in what they were hearing over other stuff they've tried before like the Audiophilio. They went into it with a highly skeptical attitude not expecting much in the way of gains.

Apparently Empirical has a money back guarantee, so that's enticing too. Even if they're attributing the improvements to unicorn horn powder and mermaid scales, I'd be down for one if I could hear definite improvements.

Money back guarantee is pretty nice, I'm pretty set on trying an offramp one day, I might need to try to organise a comparison with someone locally who has one, but they are fairly rare.  Same goes for Berkeley Alpha USB, pretty hard to come by.  I have only seen one negative impression of the OffRamp against many positive, as well as questionable measurements in terms of jitter performance, but as you say money back guarantee negates the risk, and measurements are not the whole picture even when it comes to digital transports.  Next upgrade for me will probably be the Berkeley Alpha USB, probably in a month or so.  OffRamp maybe after that, once the updates for the OffRamp are implemented.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #9,782 of 21,761
Quote:

Kerrigan was pretty cool, but Abathur was just a big ball of fun. He was diabolical and yet I found him somewhat touchingly innocent too.

"Unclear."

Nah, not just you. I'm super excited too!

Kerrigan had much more appeal once I realised she is Borg Queen from Star Trek:

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #9,783 of 21,761
You might be the fellow to talk to then. Any idea on a good storefront that sells Darstalker figurines at acceptable non gouge out your eyes prices? I'm trying to find a Lilith and Victor figurine.

If we're talking about resin figures, those are sky high no matter what, but this PVC figure looks really nice and is priced reasonably:

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Savior-Lilith-Figure-Normal/dp/B000HK35BY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_4

This Victor action figure doesn't look bad either:

http://www.amazon.com/Darkstalkers-3-Victor-Ghost-Professor/dp/B001JE6226

My favorite figures are the Figma poseable figures, but those things cost an arm and a leg, but they tend to be really hi quality, capture the look of the characters and are highly poseable

I want this Figma Link so bad: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10189772

New Kurt Vile and James Blake tomorrow. New Flaming Lips the week after that. Already out: new Waaves, Tyler the Creator, Low, and Youth Lagoon.

Good month for music.

Can't wait for new Lips. Loved Embryonic's sinister sound

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9,784 of 21,761
Quote:
My favorite figures are the Figma poseable figures, but those things cost an arm and a leg, but they tend to be really hi quality, capture the look of the characters and are highly poseable

$33 doesn't seem too bad. Paid rather more than that for my ME3 Garrus and Tali figures.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #9,785 of 21,761
$33 doesn't seem too bad. Paid rather more than that for my ME3 Garrus and Tali figures.

If you're lucky enough to preorder I guess. I'm used to seeing crazy inflated prices since the popular series' figures tend to be snatched up rather quickly

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #9,786 of 21,761
Quote:
If you're lucky enough to preorder I guess. I'm used to seeing crazy inflated prices since the popular series' figures tend to be snatched up rather quickly

Yeah. I wanted one of the 18.5" Reaper figs from Dark Horse(run of 1000). They sold out in minutes of going on sale, it's not as if they were cheap limited editions at $350 each. Crazy. Pretty sure I'd get price gouged if I wanted to get one second hand.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #9,788 of 21,761
Yeah. I wanted one of the 18.5" Reaper figs from Dark Horse(run of 1000). They sold out in minutes of going on sale, it's not as if they were cheap limited editions at $350 each. Crazy. Pretty sure I'd get price gouged if I wanted to get one second hand.

That's what I mean. Unless you're on HLJ or 1999's mailing list or something, you won't know when preorders open up. I mean... Good luck tryin to score something from Evangelion for instance, that stuff goes really fast, and next thing you know, you're staring at $80-100+ figures with MSRPs of $30 :l

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #9,790 of 21,761
Not sure if any of you guys are into film making, but I just saw something awesome. This contraption, MoVI, is a motion-stabilizing gyro that's gonna make Steadicams essentially obsolete. Yes, it's pro-level equipment, but imagine in a few years when this thing gets incorporated into consumer-level stuff.

Even if you're not into equipment, the short is still worth watching, as it's a highly kinetic piece shot by Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and director Vincent LaForet:

​
Behind the Scenes:​

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #9,792 of 21,761
If we're talking about resin figures, those are sky high no matter what, but this PVC figure looks really nice and is priced reasonably:

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Savior-Lilith-Figure-Normal/dp/B000HK35BY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_4

This Victor action figure doesn't look bad either:

http://www.amazon.com/Darkstalkers-3-Victor-Ghost-Professor/dp/B001JE6226

Thanks for the link. The Victor action figure looks pretty good I'm just not digging the 15 dollar shipping. I'm with you as far as some of the figurines being stupidly priced sky high. I wish there were less flippers involved in hobbies and more enthusiasts. I sometimes wish I lived in Japan or knew someone there, they always seem to have the great looking collectables.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #9,794 of 21,761
Quote:
Just found this. Awesome.

This ^^ is when they are at their best, when it is just the two of them and their guitars. Their most recent album  has a 13-piece Cuban group playing with them and it basically drowns out the wonderful guitar work.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #9,795 of 21,761
Anybody here listen to any of Hayato Imanishi's music?

I've recently stumbled upon his bands, Withyouathome and Cyclamen. Cyclamen is a technical metal group that plays ambient tracks in between some really heavy, intense metal. Withyouathome is like Cyclamen minus the metal; they only do the ambient stuff, but they expand on it and do a lot more with the ambient sounds and the different vocal styles that go along with them. I found both of these bands on Bandcamp and bought some EPs for $2 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back