The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Apr 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #9,767 of 21,761
Good to see the thread has gotten some of it's life back.

I received a pair of on tour Heir Czar 350's from a fellow headfier a few days ago. I'm listening to it paired off with my CLAS setup as a type this and all I can say is what a crazy top end glare on these things. An I thought my Q cans were bright, the Czar's make my Q cans sound rolled off when compared to them. Even though the Czar's seem to be more leaned out then my Q can they don't sound as fast which is rather surprising. I only have 2 weeks or so with these earphones fun times lay ahead of me. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #9,768 of 21,761
Quote:
  Good to see the thread has gotten some of it's life back. I received a pair of on tour Heir Czar 350's from a fellow headfier a few days ago. I'm listening to it paired off with my CLAS setup as a type this and all I can say is what a crazy top end glare on these things. An I thought my Q cans were bright, the Czar's make my Q cans sound rolled off when compared to them. Even though the Czar's seem to be more leaned out then my Q can they don't sound as fast which is rather surprising. I only have 2 weeks or so with these earphones fun times lay ahead of me. 

Their big issue is that 7.5k peak. If you EQ that thing down ~6 dB, you'll find it much, much more enjoyable. But, I personally don't like to EQ, so that's why I didn't keep it. Otherwise, it's one of the most detailed universals around, bar none, matching many customs in detail.

Edit (for more explanation): the driver seems to have some kind of mechanical resonance there that makes that peak seem more prominent than it is.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #9,769 of 21,761
Hooo, finished Heart of the Swarm!!

The AD1000X was an admirable companion throughout my campaign against Mengsk.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #9,771 of 21,761
Thanks for the info Tom I'm going to give your EQ info a shot and see how it turns out.

Since the topic has suddenly turned to video games are there any Darkstalker fans on thread?

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #9,772 of 21,761
DS fan here. Not sure how I feel bout the new DS game. I really miss my sprites :/

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #9,773 of 21,761
Quote:
DS fan here. Not sure how I feel bout the new DS game. I really miss my sprites :/

You might be the fellow to talk to then. Any idea on a good storefront that sells Darstalker figurines at acceptable non gouge out your eyes prices? I'm trying to find a Lilith and Victor figurine.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #9,775 of 21,761
Abathur is adorable. ADORABLE!!!

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #9,776 of 21,761
Quote:
 I was a bit suspicious of their OR5 when I was was looking for a new USB/SPDIF transport, I ended up going with Bel Canto's Reflink as it is apparently almost indistinguishable over SPDIF connection, and it costs a lot less, like over $1000 less.  Berkley Alpha USB was another option, I really want to try one of those also.  Empirical are always upgrading their designs, apparently there are some more upgrades in store, maybe at some point some of the upgrades will become more economical or standard rather than insanely expensive.  When it comes to USB/I2S transport OffRamp has few competitors at that level of performance, and apparently that's where the OR5 really has an advantage to justify the price premium.

The OR5 is getting very high praise from some folks I typically trust for non-BS impressions, so I'm really curious about it. Basically they felt it made a very big difference in what they were hearing over other stuff they've tried before like the Audiophilio. They went into it with a highly skeptical attitude not expecting much in the way of gains.

Apparently Empirical has a money back guarantee, so that's enticing too. Even if they're attributing the improvements to unicorn horn powder and mermaid scales, I'd be down for one if I could hear definite improvements.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #9,778 of 21,761
Quote:
New Kurt Vile and James Blake tomorrow. New Flaming Lips the week after that. Already out: new Waaves, Tyler the Creator, Low, and Youth Lagoon.

Good month for music.

Have to check out James Blake. Saw him live twice, it is an awesome experience. I am quite curious to see what direction the leader of Odd Future si taking. To me, the key event this month is the knew album by  The Knife after soooo long. But maybe that's just me :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #9,780 of 21,761
Quote:
ikr. Wqy better personality than hurdurrevenge kerrigan for me.

Kerrigan was pretty cool, but Abathur was just a big ball of fun. He was diabolical and yet I found him somewhat touchingly innocent too.

"Unclear."

Quote:
To me, the key event this month is the knew album by  The Knife after soooo long. But maybe that's just me :)

Nah, not just you. I'm super excited too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back