The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Apr 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #9,736 of 21,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Tera has high impedance output which is known to cause bass roll off in certain multi ba Iems.

Then I would imagine that pairing your Tera with a_rec's XBA-40 would be particularly horrendous. 
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #9,737 of 21,761

Yeah, the HD800 and HD650 should be fine. FWIW some tubes still don't give a totally black background that I like, but actual hum isn't really present at volumes I listen to normally. Same w/ Audez'e. Only the HE-6 was totally black up until the very highest volume setting.

I'm a little surprised you don't hear any hum with the M50. It's quite possible you just have quiet tubes, or maybe 35 ohms is the cutoff point for "really sensitive." Or maybe when I say hum you're thinking I mean "bzzzzzt" or something? It's much more subtle.

The TH900 is 25 ohms. I'm thinking people just didn't hear the background noise because of meet conditions. Like I said, it's very subtle.

Before the mods, the amp was much nosier. Like, actual buzzing. Abnormal. It was problematic enough for Dr. Cavalli to not find it acceptable and temporarily suspend sales. Now I'd say the problem is pretty much resolved. Yeah, there's still hum, but it's just a matter of the tubes: most 6SN7s will give you a gain of 8 or so. That's just too high IMHO for sensitive headphones. Never mind the hum, you'll get very little volume play unless you can control the volume quite a bit via your source.

Originally the LG had two 1/4 jacks: a low Z jack and a normal one. The low z used resistors to lessen the output I think. Dr. Cavalli decided to scrap that idea and replace the low Z jack with a second normal XLR. That was a good idea since it improves the versatility of the amp, but I still wish there was a low Z output of some sort. That's why I've been talking to him about the adapter.

I tried my damnedest to find some sort of hum, buzz, or any other noise not directly related to the audio signal, and any time I found anything, it was directly related to my tubes and was present with all of my headphones - including the HE-6.  My only real thought toward explanation is that there's either some variation in the manufacturing tolerance of the parts (and I really lucked out) or I just need some more sensitive cans to test it.  At this point I'm not particularly inclined to worry about it since it's not affecting me; I just feel bad for those who have experienced the hum (like yourself).  I guess it's also possible that the noise floor isn't low enough at my house, but I did test it in my back room that's rather quiet.  Now my Decware CSP2+ has some serious hum that will necessitate repairs. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #9,738 of 21,761
does Bioshock Infinite have an awesome, totally unforeseen twist like that of the original Bioshock?

You realize that it's not logically possible to answer that question, right?

Answering that a game has a twist in of itself is kind of a spoiler I think. Now I would may be rushing for the twist. It's also something that I have a problem with recommending (and/or reading about) anime that relies on twists or deconstruction of genres. Sure there's not a lot of it that I remember watching, and the last one that left an impression is Madoka Magica, but even then... I just felt that spoiling that there's a twist, or what the tropes are that the twist employs is a detriment, but at the same time without telling about that, a recommendation wouldn't be interesting.
----------------------------------------------

And going on with anime for a bit, spring season is in earnest now, and there's one show that made the rounds of animedom that instills such rage as if it killed your favourite pet: Aku no Hana a.k.a. The Flower of Evil. It's an manga adaptation that took inspiration from the French poem of the same name by Baudelaire; mainly it centres on decadence and the mockery of virgin purity in teenage life.

While the premise is interesting, I never really read it for some reason. I will be sticking with the anime though since the adaptation is like this:

The "slap in the face" feeling of the fans that expected the anime to be a pure, clean adaptation is so good. In a sense, the decision to use rotorscoping for this anime in of itself is highlighting how decadent animedom has been lately with regards to a middle/high school setting. Almost always that most would expect such a setting to be comedy, school romance, incest, harem, walking sex fetish or all of that and almost always with a pointless story-line coupled with an artstyle engineered to be appealing to the lowest common denominator. Not that I can see how this anime will shake the industry enough to make a change in trends, but this is yet another break from the circlejerk that clamours for more same "school life comedy romance harem" themes that are already legion.

Legally the show can be watched simulcasted at Crunchyroll starting Apr. 8 for subscribers, but non-subscribers can watch it a week later. There's no need for a registration to watch it, although the video quality will be limited to SD, even for registered non-subbers (that's me).

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #9,739 of 21,761
Quote:
Amping the Tera negates portability. But don t worry, it is a great rig with 1plus2 or Kaede. I am not going to be a spoiled child with such an awesome rig. Ai will keep the dx100 for my other Iems, and try to get a rwak100 as I have heard it is as good as the dx100 for Iems...and I want portability. I am considering the upcoming 901...but sooo ugly.

There is no defect IMO. The Tera has high impedance output which is known to cause bass roll off in certain multi ba Iems.

Actually, there are two potential issues with the Tera Player, high output impedance and capacitors in the output stage.

High output impedance (OI): The TP's headphone ports are rated 10 and 20ohms. This will affect the frequency response of IEMs with a non-linear impedance curve. Usually, dynamic drivers have rather linear impedance, like e.g. the IE800. If you look at the IE800's impedance curve (first graph), you'll see pretty much a straight line. That means the IE800 will not be affected by high OI. Now look at the 334's impedance graph, which is far from a straight line. That means the 334's frequency response will be affected by high OI and they may sound off as a result.

Capacitors in the output stage: The TP has been reported to having capacitors in the output stage and not being able to drive phones < 50ohms properly. The result is bass roll-off, which gets gradually worse with lower impedance. Note that this affects all types of IEMs, dynamic drivers as well as BAs. For instance, the 16ohms IE800 show a substantial reduction in bass when driven from the TP.

So, in a nutshell, BAs are hit or miss with the TP and all phones < 50ohms will show some bass roll-off. The 32ohm ones less severe so than the 16ohm ones.

While all this may sound a bit disheartening, the TP's shortcomings may actually benefit some IEMs, like the overly bassy IE800, which turn into better balanced phones when driven from the TP.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #9,743 of 21,761
I had a dream last night wherein I got another Schiit Lyr that was made out of layers of aluminum sheets (like HE500 trace materials) and had a tube layout similar to the BA, except with 2 driver tubes.  The PX4's were very large and hard to insert correctly.  In fact, I only managed to plug the right one in halfway the first couple times I tried and it started catching fire and sending ashes and embers everywhere.  When inserted correctly, though, their innards would grow a nice ruby red and give off a perfumy arouma, which caught me by surprise until I checked out the box they came in which advertised them as such.

I've been feeling pretty bad this past week :/ .  Music's a thing, though.  I recently got a version of JRiver that plays in WASAPI without being all weird and glitchy on me and have noticed it actually upping my SQ a bit.  The HD600's, which I find myself using out of convenience sometimes, also scale very well on my current setup. 

Ya'll ever go back to music you liked before getting into this hobby and find yourself marveling at how great it suddenly sounds?

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #9,746 of 21,761
Quote:
Ya'll ever go back to music you liked before getting into this hobby and find yourself marveling at how great it suddenly sounds?

Eww music what's that? 
Speaking of which might need to get a new external drive for all of my new test tones and sweeps and noise library. Another 3TB should be good for a year.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #9,749 of 21,761
Quote:

I had a dream last night wherein I got another Schiit Lyr that was made out of layers of aluminum sheets (like HE500 trace materials) and had a tube layout similar to the BA, except with 2 driver tubes.  The PX4's were very large and hard to insert correctly.  In fact, I only managed to plug the right one in halfway the first couple times I tried and it started catching fire and sending ashes and embers everywhere.  When inserted correctly, though, their innards would grow a nice ruby red and give off a perfumy arouma, which caught me by surprise until I checked out the box they came in which advertised them as such.

I've been feeling pretty bad this past week :/ .  Music's a thing, though.  I recently got a version of JRiver that plays in WASAPI without being all weird and glitchy on me and have noticed it actually upping my SQ a bit.  The HD600's, which I find myself using out of convenience sometimes, also scale very well on my current setup. 

I certainly have done that.  I've also gone back to music I used to enjoy and thought someone was stabbing me in the ears.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #9,750 of 21,761
Thanks.for the explanation. It is indeed quite disappointing of a 1k euros player....lucky me the 1plus2 work well and maybe I can find others....
Actually, there are two potential issues with the Tera Player, high output impedance and capacitors in the output stage.

High output impedance (OI): The TP's headphone ports are rated 10 and 20ohms. This will affect the frequency response of IEMs with a non-linear impedance curve. Usually, dynamic drivers have rather linear impedance, like e.g. the IE800. If you look at the IE800's impedance curve (first graph), you'll see pretty much a straight line. That means the IE800 will not be affected by high OI. Now look at the 334's impedance graph, which is far from a straight line. That means the 334's frequency response will be affected by high OI and they may sound off as a result.

Capacitors in the output stage: The TP has been reported to having capacitors in the output stage and not being able to drive phones < 50ohms properly. The result is bass roll-off, which gets gradually worse with lower impedance. Note that this affects all types of IEMs, dynamic drivers as well as BAs. For instance, the 16ohms IE800 show a substantial reduction in bass when driven from the TP.

So, in a nutshell, BAs are hit or miss with the TP and all phones < 50ohms will show some bass roll-off. The 32ohm ones less severe so than the 16ohm ones.

While all this may sound a bit disheartening, the TP's shortcomings may actually benefit some IEMs, like the overly bassy IE800, which turn into better balanced phones when driven from the TP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back