The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #25,127 of 35,328
Brainwavz HM5 on lightning deal at Amazon for the next four hours: $72.50.
https://amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM/

The NVX XPT100 version is currently $69.99
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46586_NVX-Audio-XPT100.html

I have the HM5s. They sound OK, nothing special. They're neutral and pretty clean, reasonably detailed, light on bass but good extension. I find they sound a little "hollow" in the mids to me and I can't EQ that out. I mostly use them for TV and games. I'd never pay over $100 for them. In terms of sound, $70 for the NVT is a good deal, especially if they come with the angled pads as well. However...

The problem with these phones is that the yokes will eventually crack where the arms split. Happened within 18 months of ownership for me, and I have an average sized head, so it's not like I'm stretching them excessively. Tons of other similar complaints online from others. They're impossible to repair. Fortunately someone was kind enough to provide a 3D printer diagram for these. My brother was able to print them for me, but they're not a perfect fit and took some cleaning up to make them work (his printer is pretty basic).

So unless it was just a bad production run that's been fixed, you can baby them all you want but I guarantee they'll crack eventually. These are decent sounding "cheap" cans, and definitely cheaply made too.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #25,128 of 35,328
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #25,129 of 35,328
I have the HM5s. They sound OK, nothing special. They're neutral and pretty clean, reasonably detailed, light on bass but good extension......I mostly use them for TV and games. I'd never pay over $100 for them.....
I recently purchased the NVX version when Sonic Electronix had a sale, and I concur with Cheffy's thoughts. Kind of a cheap build (I have not had issues yet), but extremely comfortable. I was more underwhelmed with the sound than I expected. Not a fun sounding phone, even for those of us who do not favor the fun smile EQ curve. Not particularly detailed. Fine for watching TV. At the price I paid if I end up just keeping the pads for use on other phones, not a bad deal.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #25,130 of 35,328
I recently purchased the NVX version when Sonic Electronix had a sale, and I concur with Cheffy's thoughts. Kind of a cheap build (I have not had issues yet), but extremely comfortable. I was more underwhelmed with the sound than I expected. Not a fun sounding phone, even for those of us who do not favor the fun smile EQ curve. Not particularly detailed. Fine for watching TV. At the price I paid if I end up just keeping the pads for use on other phones, not a bad deal.

Even though I find the upper mids and treble downright grating at times and the overall experience fatiguing, with a little EQing my ATH-M50s are a more detailed phone that is much more fun to listen to than the HM5s. The HM5s are a good general use phone that will rarely leave you feeling that the music was especially good. Now my NAD Viso HP50s on the other hand... wow. I've had them for nearly a year, listening to them 10-20 hours per week, and they still make me smile every time I use them.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #25,131 of 35,328
NewEgg is continuing KEF's Black Friday Pricing on many of their earphones. The $150 list M100s are $30 (plus free or $5 shipping depending on color), The M400 On Ears are $79, and the original M500s $179. Big price cuts on what is normally a price controlled line.
Kef Direct still has similar pricing on some models, but add the M200 In Ears for $100 (regularly $200).
Thanks! Just ordered a set of blue M100. Been curious about how they sound compared to the M200 which I enjoy (except for their fit). If I don't like them I'll just gift them to a friend or coworker.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #25,132 of 35,328
Thanks! Just ordered a set of blue M100.....

I have a set of them on the way too. Most of the professional reviews I have seen on the M100 have been positive, although they may work best with an amp. I see the models with $5 shipping are Shoprunner eligible, and there are frequently ways to get shoprunner free.

I owned the M500s for a while and am a very big fan. I think the comfort and build quality are exceptional, and really liked the musical mid-range forward sound and unique design. A lot like classic British loudspeakers. They reminded me a lot of the NAD HP50s, but a bit more comfortable. Underappreciated I think.

The NAD HP50s are now also available in most colors from about the same $175-ish price.

I am most intrigued by the M400 on ears at $80. I have never seen or heard them, but the reviews indicate they are similar but lighter/less luxurious than M500. They look plasticy in the photos, but the reviews say they are aluminum with excellent build. Since the normal $250 price is only $50 less than the M500s,..not many people bought them. At $80, they could be one of the seasons better deals. I have a set of those on the way too.

The NewEgg sale ends tonight. Not sure when the KEF Direct sale does.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #25,134 of 35,328
......So $100 doesn't look like a good deal, unless you are getting free shipping right to your home.

Your right, looking at Amazon price tracking $100-$120 has been their normal price for a while...with used as low as $55. I see in the head-fi M200 discussion that the earhooks are problematical for some, and cutting them off works well for some people.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #25,135 of 35,328

To anyone looking for close-back phone, this is a fantastic price for an amazing headphone. I can't claim great experience with a breadth of high-end phones, but I can say that these will impress you. They're a neutral phone with maybe a touch of warmth that are simply just a pleasure to listen to. Not analytical phones, but they have great clarity, resolve, and imaging. Nicely extended bass that is a bit punchy (quite fun but not bass cans), detailed mids (vocals sound amazing), highs are crisp but not sibilant, maybe a touch of roll-off on treble but in a good way (no fatigue). Can feel energetic yet a little relaxed at the same time. Great sound isolation - I wear them at work to block out noise and co-workers scare the bejesus out of me all the time when they have to tap my shoulder to get my attention. Fit is mixed, but if it works for you you'll love them. Benefit from some simple ear-pad mods to give more pad depth if your ears are a little bigger. I'm seriously considering buying a second pair as a backup since I'm concerned they're going to stop making them soon (hence the sale...).

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #25,136 of 35,328
Your right, looking at Amazon price tracking $100-$120 has been their normal price for a while...with used as low as $55. I see in the head-fi M200 discussion that the earhooks are problematical for some, and cutting them off works well for some people.

M200 keeps appearing on ebay.de for ridiculous price... Probably there was a huge KEF sale in Germany.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #25,137 of 35,328
Use code PHOLIDAY10 to drop it 10% to $143.99 as the seller is first on the list for authorized sellers for the 10% discount.

Missed on that discount...that said, got them yesterday and really like them for $160

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #25,139 of 35,328
Dec 1, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #25,140 of 35,328
Amazing deal on Definitive Technology SM55 bookshelf speakers (passive):

$149.99 each ($300 for a pair). That's rock-bottom for these speakers.

I paid more than that for my pair of SM45, which were on sale at the time. And I LOVE my SM45s.

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-SM55-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B005XXMN6I

Check out the price history:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Definitive-Technology-SM55-Bookshelf-Speaker/product/B005XXMN6I

Read this Stereophile review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/definitive-technology-studiomonitor-55-loudspeaker

39124-definitive_technology_studio_monitor_sm55_fot1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back