The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #22,188 of 35,332
Nov 7, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #22,189 of 35,332
I picked up an open box Turbo X for $150 shipped. It's the best-sounding Bluetooth speaker I've heard, by a pretty wide margin.

A deal on a (Humongous) but better sounding one for $300.

The AKG Q200 (an AKG Quincy Jones Branded JBL Authentics L16) shipped via trustworthy Amazon seller.

(The photo looks a little like the Riva shape...but these are 32" long, 14" deep and weigh 36 pounds- humongous....so not a competitor to Riva..that was a joke).   

The JBL L16 version sells normally for $1000, and Quincy's version was listed higher than that.   You know you have found a good price when the Amazon scam sellers (those Please contact me 1st ones) price is $200 higher. 

I owned the smaller L8...they sound great, but do not come with a remote control (you use a phone app) which is a hassle for something this big.  Has Airplay, Bluetooth, Wifi, Spotify Connect, Optical input, PHONO input and Aux input. You can adjust equalization, source and other stuff with the app. 

Great price.  Did I mention humongous and ugly.   

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #22,190 of 35,332

A deal on a (Humongous) but better sounding one for $300.

The AKG Q200 (an AKG Quincy Jones Branded JBL Authentics L16) shipped via trustworthy Amazon seller.

(The photo looks a little like the Riva shape...but these are 32" long, 14" deep and weigh 36 pounds- humongous....so not a competitor to Riva..that was a joke).   

The JBL L16 version sells normally for $1000, and Quincy's version was listed higher than that.   You know you have found a good price when the Amazon scam sellers (those Please contact me 1st ones) price is $200 higher. 

I owned the smaller L8...they sound great, but do not come with a remote control (you use a phone app) which is a hassle for something this big.  Has Airplay, Bluetooth, Wifi, Spotify Connect, Optical input, PHONO input and Aux input. You can adjust equalization, source and other stuff with the app. 

Great price.  Did I mention humongous and ugly.   

Looks great but the number of people complaining of not being able to connect to wifi and dlna is concerning.  Any insight to this since you owned the L8?  Why do you no longer own the L8?

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #22,191 of 35,332
  Looks great but the number of people complaining of not being able to connect to wifi and dlna is concerning.  Any insight to this since you owned the L8?  Why do you no longer own the L8?

I had no problems hooking to my Wi-Fi.  The key for me is always to upgrade the firmware 1st.  I did not use DNLA that I can remember.  Worked great for Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, and Optical from my TV. The interface is not intuitive and there is no LED readout...so I bet most of the problems were complex operation related.     The biggest hassle for me was no dedicated remote which is nice to have if you are using it for TV sound.  You can do it all with the phone app however.

I had no real use for it and sold it for a profit.  But the sound is excellent and this would fill a big room with loud clear sound. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #22,192 of 35,332
I picked up an open box Turbo X for $150 shipped. It's the best-sounding Bluetooth speaker I've heard, by a pretty wide margin. Most reviews I've seen say the Riva S isn't as good, but I haven't compared the two personally.

@shuto77  - where did you buy the open box from?  Amazon?  Elsewhere?  I looked at Riva's web site but could not find any mention of open box.

As for Riva S vs. Riva X dilemma:
I need 1 good speaker.  If I could get a 2nd for extra $50 (like with the Riva S) - I would, of course!!  
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #22,193 of 35,332
@shuto77
  - where did you buy the open box from?  Amazon?  Elsewhere?  I looked at Riva's web site but could not find any mention of open box.

As for Riva S vs. Riva X dilemma:
I need 1 good speaker.  If I could get a 2nd for extra $50 (like with the Riva S) - I would, of course!!  :evil:

Yes, I grabbed an open box one from Amazon during their warehouse deals sale.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #22,195 of 35,332
I have a UE Roll (version 1) and I owned a Sound Blaster Roar Pro, but haven't heard the UE Boom. The Turbo X sounds significantly better than the Roll, but the gap is narrower than with the Sound Blaster Roar Pro.

I've been curious about UE's Boom series, but just haven't had a chance to hear them.

Thanks for sharing, shuto.  The UE Booms we own are surprisingly good, especially for their size.  I have not tried the newest version, but expect it is an upgrade to the original.

HS

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #22,196 of 35,332

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back