The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Aug 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #21,751 of 35,333
New Schiit Jotunheim has just been released.  At its $399 base point price you receive a balanced (+ single ended) headphone amp that can properly and well power everything from the most sensitive IEM's to the HE-6.  At $499 you can add a DAC or passive phono stage.

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv

and

http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #21,752 of 35,333
Aug 27, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #21,753 of 35,333

New Schiit Jotunheim has just been released.  At its $399 base point price you receive a balanced (+ single ended) headphone amp that can properly and well power everything from the most sensitive IEM's to the HE-6.  At $499 you can add a DAC or passive phono stage.

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv

and

http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim

I'm missing how this is a deal?

If you viewed the first link (Jude's piece), you have the answer.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #21,756 of 35,333
So what is a deal and what isn't.

Massdrop is listing the Airist Heron 5 amp that originally sold for $2000 for $770 if by some miracle they get 3 dubes to buy in.  None have. I would much rather hear about a new Schiit product that I bet will sell out its first run.

I paid full retail $88 for 2 Amazon Echo Dots that sold ebay for $270 each. 

On the other hand, we could have more posts about mouse ear phones.
(no offense meant to the mouse earphones)

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #21,757 of 35,333
eGlobalCentral is advertising the Sony XBA-A2 for $148.

https://www.eglobalcentral.com/s0ny-xba-a2-balanced-armature-in-ear-headphones.html

That's about $75 below the going price. Anyone have any info on eGlobalCentral? I would like to pull the trigger on these.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #21,758 of 35,333

Massdrop is listing the Airist Heron 5 amp that originally sold for $2000 for $770 if by some miracle they get 3 dubes to buy in.  None have. I would much rather hear about a new Schiit product that I bet will sell out its first run.

Phew. For a minute there I thought your were going to call me out on the LED headphone :)

Still, a deal is where one can buy something for less than one normally can buy something for. The jot may be a good value, but it ain't a deal.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #21,759 of 35,333

Phew. For a minute there I thought your were going to call me out on the LED headphone :)

Still, a deal is where one can buy something for less than one normally can buy something for. The jot may be a good value, but it ain't a deal.

If that "something" is a balanced (+ single ended) headphone amp that can properly and well power everything from the most sensitive IEM's to the HE-6 and has both balanced and RCA selectable inputs (and more features) for under $400, it damn sure is a deal.

Name another unit that does all that at $500, $600, $700 or even more.

Under your preferred definition of a deal, almost no new product -- however innovative or pioneering in value -- can ever be a deal.  Our discussion here will be the poorer for it. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #21,761 of 35,333
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMPEN_Specs.htm

Much more powerful than the Schiit and has a DAC. $520 which is about the same as the Schiit with a DAC.

Good unit by good company and worth considering for many. 

However according to GD: "If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the C-2 get better performance than the NFB-1AMP."

Shipping to the USA adds $53 (vs. $17).

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #21,762 of 35,333
A deal for this thread is only when the price is below what it's normally sold for. At full price, many products can still be considered "deals" but this isn't the thread for it.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #21,763 of 35,333
A deal for this thread is only when the price is below what it's normally sold for. At full price, many products can still be considered "deals" but this isn't the thread for it.

Correct. Anything other than this is just someone's opinion about a product (no offense to kg jag)

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #21,764 of 35,333
Under your preferred definition of a deal, almost no new product -- however innovative or pioneering in value -- can ever be a deal.  Our discussion here will be the poorer for it. 

This!

If I was new to the hobby and ready to pull the trigger on an under MSRP 'deal' offered up on this thread that was a lesser value than an MSRP deal, I'd be really thankful if a fellow Head-Fier provided me with a better alternative -- even if it was list price.

The better deal for me may very well be the product with better sound/features/quality/etc. From my perspective, I'd rather have that information so I don't make a poor buying decision...which hopefully is the goal of this thread.

TBH...retail pricing has very little to do with a deal anyway. Is the DT880 Pro, 250 ohm headphone currently listed at $379 and marked down to $250 on Sweetwater a deal? If I look at camelcamelcamel.com, I see I could have gotten the premium version for $180 recently. Relevant information to make a totally informed buying decision is always useful...imo!

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #21,765 of 35,333
This!

If I was new to the hobby and ready to pull the trigger on an under MSRP 'deal' offered up on this thread that was a lesser value than an MSRP deal, I'd be really thankful if a fellow Head-Fier provided me with a better alternative -- even if it was list price.

The better deal for me may very well be the product with better sound/features/quality/etc. From my perspective, I'd rather have that information so I don't make a poor buying decision...which hopefully is the goal of this thread.

TBH...retail pricing has very little to do with a deal anyway. Is the DT880 Pro, 250 ohm headphone currently listed at $379 and marked down to $250 on Sweetwater a deal? If I look at camelcamelcamel.com, I see I could have gotten the premium version for $180 recently. Relevant information to make a totally informed buying decision is always useful...imo!

Certainly there are many definitions of the word "deal" and I believe that the entire purpose Head-fi is so that we all might be better educated as to find the MAXIMUM VALUE for our whatever our budgets allow. There are many generous members here who are happy to provide information to all those who have questions but I'm sure that this particular thread is, as Jozurr stated above, specifically designated for items being sold at a price below what they are normally sold for. 

If you'd like to start a new thread to address the products which a consensus might agree represent the greatest value at each price point, it could be popular but IMO it's a very broad topic and hard to pin down. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back