The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 2, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #19,802 of 35,319

True, but this is the first day this drop appears on massdrop and I am sure it will get 15 commited to have the price droped to 49.99, which would be a good deal by then.

Sale price on NewEgg last month was $48 including shipping.  Current eBay from highly reputable Asian dealers are $50 shipped ($5 less than best MD) or $55 shipped.  Even shipped economy from China the eBay options would get to you much quicker than Massdrops Jan 29 ship date.

I ordered a pair from the NewEgg sale and think they are pretty good, phones.  I am not a basshead but have yet to find a set of tips that provides me with good bass, but I have not experimented much yet.    Not exceptionally impressed so far, but I will probably find a tip combo that I like and build quality seems nice.

Its fun to play with the optional (not included here) tuning tips. But as I said, I have yet to find a combo that really does it for me.*  

*the $8 shipped Monk earbuds from an earlier post in this thread do it for me.  I had not ever purchased bud type phones, very impressive and proof that if manufacturers want to, they can create exceptional sound for almost no cost. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #19,803 of 35,319
  GoneMAD Music Player Unlock in the Google Play Store - $0.99 regular price $3.99
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp.unlocker&hl=en

In all my experience the best player for Android - well, I guess I should just say it's my favorite...have stuck with it for years now. I get impatient and want to try new ones but always come back. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #19,804 of 35,319
This deal actually has been going on since late-November but is probably ending soon (said they'd be going to the end-of-the-year 2015). 

http://dysonics.com/give-the-future-of-audio-this-holiday-season/

Dysonics RAPPR is $4.99 typically it is priced at $14.99. Essentially, this will decode your 5.1 and 7.1 surround files, and it does quite a good job of recreating the surround sound for your 2-channel stereo headphones. 

I snapped it up today, having used a trial in the past. The only major problem I had then, was I was getting distortion using it through any USB DAC. I sent them a ticket then, so hoping this is cleared up. I don't mind using my internal Macbook out, but this should be a simple fix. 

They also have hardware called RondoMotion that will change the soundfield relative to your head position. It works in conjucntion with the software. 

Update: well, disappointed to say that perhaps this isn't the best purchase. Even at $4.99. There is still the issue using an external soundcard where the bass is distorted. It's almost as if they aren't compensating for the above line-level processing. Basically,its clipping and digital distortion which is not good. Using the internal soundcard is fine on Mac, but this is a no go using a separate DAC. 

Also, the sound quality is not that clear as a product like Hajo's Headphone Enhancer.However, as of the latest version of Hajo's v1.7.9 there is still some digital distortion going to an external DAC, it can be mitigated somewhat depending on the setting or using a custom setting and adjusting input/output to avoid clipping.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #19,806 of 35,319
And wait a month to get them?
Don't forget about the $4.99 shipping...

And possibly sales tax as well. MD charges sales tax in my home state of NJ. At this point, just about every big audio retailer charges tax in NJ.

As states continue to crack down on online retailers, we should probably be mindful of this as we post deals.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #19,808 of 35,319
And possibly sales tax as well. MD charges sales tax in my home state of NJ. At this point, just about every big audio retailer charges tax in NJ.

As states continue to crack down on online retailers, we should probably be mindful of this as we post deals.

NJ sale tax kept me from buying a few things from Massdrop, it's stupid because there HQ is in CA but there warehouse in NJ and we get hit with a 7% tax.Same thing with Best Buy taxes kill the deal for me. Micro Center in Paterson have a 3.5% and price mach Best Buy

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #19,809 of 35,319
Same here, except Amazon...
NJ sale tax kept me from buying a few things from Massdrop, it's stupid because there HQ is in CA but there warehouse in NJ and we get hit with a 7% tax.Same thing with Best Buy taxes kill the deal for me. Micro Center in Paterson have a 3.5% and price mach Best Buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back