The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Sep 26, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #17,446 of 35,332
:wink:

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #17,447 of 35,332
Isolation is excellent or just mediocre? And if excellent, the v2 is essentially the same casing and tips with an updated driver right?

MEE audio A151 Gen2 for $24.99 ]w/Free Shipping really $27.94...code is NEWA151
http://www.meelec.com/Armature_Series_s/351.htm

Edit:
So...when I typed in my zip code and hit the 'get shipping options' and even the 'recalculate' button on their web site the shipping charges stayed at $0.00. However, the ugly shipping troll lives in the Checkout page...bad web design. Cheapest shipping I could choose was $2.95 making the total cost $27.94...still a bargain based on the reviews (http://www.head-fi.org/products/meelectronics-a151p-2nd-generation/reviews).

I still have and listen to my A151s; think they were $30 -- a solid value to this day for me. Based on the reviews, I'm expecting an even better experience with the Gen2's.

For those of you that had/have the A151 Gen1...here's a FR comparison chart from their site

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #17,448 of 35,332
I had these (A151) and gave them away. Very specific fit and pretty shrill sound. I got mine from massdrop and i couldn't find any filters. Didn't have the patience to figure it out. I prefer the old sound magic pl30's

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #17,449 of 35,332
Isolation is excellent or just mediocre? And if excellent, the v2 is essentially the same casing and tips with an updated driver right?
I'd personally rate isolation and comfort of the A151 Gen1 very good. This is a big piece of why I'm buying Gen2. To my ears, the Gen1 was a tad warm with a slightly subdued treble. If the FR graphs and reviews are correct, I'll really be liking these.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #17,450 of 35,332
Thanks for sharing, ordered a pair. $34 shipped to Norway, not bad
wink.gif

cost me the same as well, went ahead and ordered it, i heard good things about it :p

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #17,451 of 35,332
How does the A151 2nd Gen compare to the Phonak Audéo PFE 1xx with gray filters?

EDIT: For those who are interested, I compared MEE Audio's own graphs to Tyll's at Innerfidelity's. See, I compared the A161 (not to be confused with the A151) which is in the InnerFidelity database, and look what I found out. That sister model's is essentially a carbon copy to InnerFidelity's graph except for a very slight 3-5 dB difference at 10 KHz and above, or the ultra high frequency zone. If MEE Audio's graphs are indeed as accurate as they appear and directly comparable with those on InnerFidelity, here's something interesting. The A151 looks like it is a merging of the AKG K 701 and Sennheiser HD 600 sounds. It has a near perfect midrange response with a slight AKG-esque (also similar to the Etymotic ER-4 series) peak in the upper mids/lower treble (2-3 KHz). It has a HD-600-inspired treble with a very slight roll-off into the highs with slightly greater apparent clarity and presence in the lower and middle treble and very similar upper treble tendencies. The bass appears to have an AKG-like flatness with slightly further sub-bass reach, meaning theoretically more low bass in the audible mix. Of course, other factors that should not be left ignored including phase response and distortion will result in unique differences in the sonic fingerprint of the A151.

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #17,452 of 35,332
MEE audio A151 Gen2 for $24.99 ]w/Free Shipping really $27.94...code is NEWA151
http://www.meelec.com/Armature_Series_s/351.htm

Edit:
So...when I typed in my zip code and hit the 'get shipping options' and even the 'recalculate' button on their web site the shipping charges stayed at $0.00. However, the ugly shipping troll lives in the Checkout page...bad web design. Cheapest shipping I could choose was $2.95 making the total cost $27.94...still a bargain based on the reviews (http://www.head-fi.org/products/meelectronics-a151p-2nd-generation/reviews).

I still have and listen to my A151s; think they were $30 -- a solid value to this day for me. Based on the reviews, I'm expecting an even better experience with the Gen2's.

For those of you that had/have the A151 Gen1...here's a FR comparison chart from their site

What is the source for your coupon? I am curious since I could not find it in the Google Search listing and this sounds like an insanely good deal. Is it exclusive to some email list or coupon club? I want to be in said club or on said list if at all possible.​

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #17,453 of 35,332
What is the source for your coupon? I am curious since I could not find it in the Google Search listing and this sounds like an insanely good deal. Is it exclusive to some email list or coupon club? I want to be in said club or on said list if at all possible.​

It was in an email promotion for the 2nd gen launch

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #17,454 of 35,332
How does the A151 2nd Gen compare to the Phonak Audéo PFE 1xx with gray filters?

EDIT: For those who are interested, I compared MEE Audio's own graphs to Tyll's at Innerfidelity's. See, I compared the A161 (not to be confused with the A151) which is in the InnerFidelity database, and look what I found out. That sister model's is essentially a carbon copy to InnerFidelity's graph except for a very slight 3-5 dB difference at 10 KHz and above, or the ultra high frequency zone. If MEE Audio's graphs are indeed as accurate as they appear and directly comparable with those on InnerFidelity, here's something interesting. The A151 looks like it is a merging of the AKG K 701 and Sennheiser HD 600 sounds. It has a near perfect midrange response with a slight AKG-esque (also similar to the Etymotic ER-4 series) peak in the upper mids/lower treble (2-3 KHz). It has a HD-600-inspired treble with a very slight roll-off into the highs with slightly greater apparent clarity and presence in the lower and middle treble and very similar upper treble tendencies. The bass appears to have an AKG-like flatness with slightly further sub-bass reach, meaning theoretically more low bass in the audible mix. Of course, other factors that should not be left ignored including phase response and distortion will result in unique differences in the sonic fingerprint of the A151.

Along these lines, props to Hisoundfi for his feedback several months ago that he provided to Mike at MEElec which helped drive this updated model! And...also to MEElec for listening to and incorporating the suggested updates.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/meelectronics-a151p-2nd-generation/reviews/12563

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #17,455 of 35,332
For those that want to try your luck on some AKG K712 there are some decent deals at 280 bucks in very good condition....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E4WXWBE/

I ordered a pair, mainly to see if i get some maid in Austria or what and to compare them to my K7XX....depending on what they sound like, i could keep the k712 and sell my k7xx.......

also fyi and ymmv, sometimes amazon customer service will offer you a discount if you plan on returning the item if you find it defective or if the description failed to correctly describe the item ie. says Very good but in reality its in less than good quality.

EDIT: Should mention these are on AWD

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #17,458 of 35,332
Along these lines, props to Hisoundfi for his feedback several months ago that he provided to Mike at MEElec which helped drive this updated model! And...also to MEElec for listening to and incorporating the suggested updates.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/meelectronics-a151p-2nd-generation/reviews/12563

No problem. I just bit and bought it. The reviews and metrics made it too good to pass up on this deal.

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #17,459 of 35,332
I got the same email, had the same problem entering the code for the version with the mike.
Haven't compared directly, but I really like the Audeo PFE stuff, if probably go for them all thing bring equal, if I were choosing.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #17,460 of 35,332
I got the same email, had the same problem entering the code for the version with the mike.
Haven't compared directly, but I really like the Audeo PFE stuff, if probably go for them all thing bring equal, if I were choosing.

Code does not work with the mic'd version. I love my PFE 122 but can't find it at the moment. Made purchasing this a little easier.

Edit: it's the PFE 022 I can't find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back