The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Aug 4, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #16,336 of 35,319
  Personally, I think WhatHiFi is a really bad source to judge audio equipment from. They're no different from Fox News to me, or worse.

Ok, Secrets of HiFi/Home theater review.   I couldn't find a terrible review of the amp.  If you can post it.  It must be $200 for a reason.

If  you buy,  you can save $5 off the shipping on the same invoice for the  OM Inearpeace hybrids which are on sale at $38 and seem to get generally good reviews.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #16,337 of 35,319
  Ok, Secrets of HiFi/Home theater review.   I couldn't find a terrible review of the amp.  If you can post it.  It must be $200 for a reason.

If  you buy,  you can save $5 off the shipping on the same invoice for the  OM Inearpeace hybrids which are on sale at $38 and seem to get generally good reviews.

Please don't get me wrong. I was trying to say stay away from WhatHiFi in general.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #16,339 of 35,319
http://www.amazon.com/ClarityOne-Cobalt-Headphones-Inline-Microphone/dp/B007XA9P42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438691151&sr=8-1&keywords=clarityone

Does anyone know if these are legit? or are they fake?

They used to be around $130 but now they're around $6

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #16,341 of 35,319
  Anybody know how the UDA1 would perform with the K7XX? And if it's DAC is better than the Geek Out 1000?

You often won't get bites on such specific questions, but what the hell 
biggrin.gif

The amp should be clean, Sony is usually pretty good @ that. As for the DAC, while it may be good, GO level good is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #16,342 of 35,319
Aug 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #16,343 of 35,319
Sony UDA1 USB Dac and amplifier on woot.com. List 799.99 for 199.99. Plays DSD snd seems to have a good headphone input that can drive most hadphones. If you can live without bluetooth seems like a deal to me.

Hot damn that is a good deal. Anyone who wants a do it all machine should check this one out. USB front so could (hypothetically) be used with Android OTG cable, optical can be used on TV's, 12w is clean power for smaller or more efficient speakers, and all in a clean box. If this had Bluetooth, I think my brain would fry from the value.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #16,344 of 35,319
See that review you just linked to. The speaker amp begins clipping at 12 watts into 8 ohms. So $200 is probably the right price range for it.

I am not sure you can judge quality by watts.

There are class A solid state and tube amps that have 5 watts per channel and cost thousands.  

It appears Sony designed this primarily for connection to a computer system for use, mostly near-field, with small speakers.  12w should be more than enough for that.  They rate it at 20w into 4 ohms, which indicates to me it has pretty good current (cheap amps are usually not rated to handle 4 ohms at all, they shut down). 

Of course, if your purpose is a medium to large room with inefficient speakers, its not for you. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #16,346 of 35,319

There are class A solid state and tube amps that have 5 watts per channel and cost thousands.  

It appears Sony designed this primarily for connection to a computer system for use, mostly near-field, with small speakers.  12w should be more than enough for that.  They rate it at 20w into 4 ohms, which indicates to me it has pretty good current (cheap amps are usually not rated to handle 4 ohms at all, they shut down). 

Of course, if your purpose is a medium to large room with inefficient speakers, its not for you. 

You're right, 12w is fine for A LOT of speakers. Efficient speakers don't need more than even 5w to fill a room. It all depends on the model. For instance, Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient, and old KLH's are quite efficient as well.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #16,347 of 35,319
  You often won't get bites on such specific questions, but what the hell 
biggrin.gif

The amp should be clean, Sony is usually pretty good @ that. As for the DAC, while it may be good, GO level good is a whole 'nother ballgame.

I won't need these for speakers, only headphone. And I already have the GO 1000. So I was wondering if it's worth the "upgrade" or it's not better at all.

Also wondering if I could use the K7XX/HE400S with the speaker amp out or it would fry my cans?

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #16,348 of 35,319
http://www.amazon.com/ClarityOne-Cobalt-Headphones-Inline-Microphone/dp/B007XA9P42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438691151&sr=8-1&keywords=clarityone

Does anyone know if these are legit? or are they fake?

They used to be around $130 but now they're around $6

I bought these Clarity earphones on Amazon for about the same price and they sound great! They are well-named, and as far as I can tell, they're genuine. I even recommended them to a fellow HeadFi'er and bought a spare pair as a gift after having listened through the first pair. I'd say they are a great deal!

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #16,349 of 35,319

You asked why the price is so low. I imagine it's not selling with that low wattage output since people will generally be buying it for use with speakers.

This is a class AB amp.

Under $100 t-amps are rated at 4 ohms and have as much power (or more) as that amp.

Anyway, enjoy your purchase. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back