The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Aug 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #16,353 of 35,336
You get a pretty good idea what kind of speaker they had in mind when Sony designed the UDA1 by the speaker that are offered with it, although I am not suggesting using these specific speakers. LS50 are a bit pricey but would no doubt sound great( as usual) .I think sony has done much better with the network players in this line. At its orginal price it definitely didn't stand out from the pack of similair players. NO BT makess it a little dated present.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #16,354 of 35,336
House of Marley RISE UP OVER-EAR HEADPHONES - $49 (regular price $149). Can also be found on Amazon for $55. 
Currently no reviews for this model on here.

http://www.thehouseofmarley.com/sale/rise-up-over-ear-headphones.html

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #16,356 of 35,336
Sony UDA1 USB Dac and amplifier on woot.com. List 799.99 for 199.99. Plays DSD snd seems to have a good headphone input that can drive most hadphones. If you can live without bluetooth seems like a deal to me.

+1...Nice Find! Picked one up.

FYI -- fact sheet below. In a nutshell it has Burr-Brown PCM1795, USB CMedia CM6632A, Analog Devices ADSP-21488, LM2876 amplifiers, Nippon capacitors, Alps potentiometer...

Based on reviews, seems like a capable unit for a computer all-in-one setup, work, bedside, etc. DSD capable with 4 digital inputs, line in/out, a decent amp for reasonably efficient bookshelf spekaers / desktop monitors, and a remote.

Some other review links (mention pairing with T1, HP50, HD700):
http://www.audiostream.com/content/sony-uda-1#15ZMLFbvkLoo2WJG.97
http://www.qobuz.com/be-fr/info/hi-fi-guide/in-english/amplifier-with-dac-uda1-a-very175380
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/sony-uda-1--pound;499/20396
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740714/looking-at-the-sony-uda1-s-amp-dac

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #16,357 of 35,336
With that logic, Nobody should buy Cavalli gear because the O2 has as much (or more) power, right? :wink:

Try reading and responding to people in full context. Ggroch said that "cheap amps are usually not rated to handle 4 ohms at all, they shut down," which, as I demonstrated, is incorrect. The most common cheap desktop amps are t-amps, and they handle 4 ohm loads.

You get a pretty good idea what kind of speaker they had in mind when Sony designed the UDA1 by the speaker that are offered with it, although I am not suggesting using these specific speakers. LS50 are a bit pricey but would no doubt sound great( as usual) .I think sony has done much better with the network players in this line. At its orginal price it definitely didn't stand out from the pack of similair players. NO BT makess it a little dated present.

Exactly. That unit at $800 with its specs doesn't compete well as a desktop speaker amp with the NAD D 3020 or even the Teac AH01. Or for the full $800, the Peachtree Nova65SE (which has a better headphone amp). I would imagine it has not been selling too well, and so it's getting dumped on the market now.

I picked up the Sony uda1, I'd assume it's a definite step up from my Fiio e10k?

Depends on what you want it for. Doesn't seem ideal for low impedance headphones. Here are the specs:

17 mW + 17 mW (8 ohms, THD 1%)
55 mW + 55 mW (32 ohms, THD 1%)
170 mW + 170 mW (300 ohms, THD 1%)

Your E10K has a good bit more power than that for low impedance headphones. But its headphone amp should be better with high impedance headphones.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #16,362 of 35,336
  Again, anybody have an idea if this would be an upgrade from the Geek Out 1000?

No, this will not be better than your GO1000.  The amp is *significantly* weaker and the Sabre DAC is much better than a single PCM1795.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #16,363 of 35,336
  Where?

Whatever Sony device you're trying to get, unless this product is so rarely purchased by Head-Fiers there isn't one? Do a search on the model number and ask the guys in the appreciation or discussion thread. Chances are you'll have someone who has or had both that can give you a better comparison.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #16,364 of 35,336

Whatever Sony device you're trying to get, unless this product is so rarely purchased by Head-Fiers there isn't one? Do a search on the model number and ask the guys in the appreciation or discussion thread. Chances are you'll have someone who has or had both that can give you a better comparison.

I've looked on all the threads about this model, and all are pretty desolate. In the end I guess I'll stick with what I have.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #16,365 of 35,336

No, this will not be better than your GO1000.  The amp is *significantly* weaker and the Sabre DAC is much better than a single PCM1795.

The ironic thing is, the GO doesn't even impress me that much - I don't have crazy high standards; it just doesn't sound amazing to me like everyone else says. I'd much rather listen to my Shozy Alien with the Aune B1, and that's cheaper too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back