The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 26, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #16,157 of 35,332
Guess it's taste, different strokes, etc, I like them...(W3, that is).

what Do you like about the W3s doctorjazz?  more than W30 or W40? or WD40?

OK, I pulled out the W3 from the too many iem drawer, just for comparison, fairly randomly, I pulled the FAD Heaven V from the too-many-iems-but-I-occasionally-pull-these-out upper drawer. Straight from Pono-both fairly comfortable, good seal, W3 a external ear shaped body which pops into the canal and the outer ear just outside of the canal. The FAD is bullet shaped, pops right in. W3 a bit more distance from the stage, FAD closer, both do width and depth pretty similarly, FAD does "empty space" better, more silence between the players. W4, though does fine detail (listened to hi rez Dylan, Just Like a Woman and Most Likely You'll Go Your Way and I'll Go mine, quick audition). Guitars easier heard (acoustic, not the lead, but not to the point of distracting from the main events), bass better, both gave Dylan's voice good presence and texture. For more fun (whoopie!!!), I went Pono/line out to Ray Samuels HR-2, cleaned up the space between instruments on the W3 some (but did for the FAD as well, still had the edge), widened and deepened the space, would have to give my win to the W3, especially for the bass, which had good impact and texture, more than the FAD.
My take-you might like the things the FAD brings to the table more (this is how I wound up with a too-many-iems drawer :) )
(neither has removable cables, btw).

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #16,158 of 35,332
I wonder if it's easier to damage a cable, or an IEM connector port?

I have yet to damage a cable myself, but then again I don't have cats. I do want replaceable cables in my IEM tho, because next month if like to try something balanced with my Liquid Carbon.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #16,159 of 35,332
I've had the W3s for about 18 months. No problems with the cable attachment. I wear them all of the time for 7-8 hours at a time.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #16,160 of 35,332
  I was considering joining the drop, but the up front power, lack of RCA's and no 1/4th jack are big deterrents. If you get all those added straight from JDS Labs, the O2 is $155 shipped. 

That's where I'm at as well.  Trying to decide if it's worth getting to drive my HE-400, but i want the RCA in and the rear power input.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #16,163 of 35,332
Again, by memory, I liked W4 better, more "neutral", though from what I remember from the Westone thread, some liked the W3 more, more fun. I liked the W40 better for sound, they changed the body a bit, but found the fit better on the W4
I can go through that draw again and pull out the W4 after work/tonight and do quick comparison,, I did tend to listen to the W4 much more than the W3 (until the cable started to fray, not replaceable).

@doctorjazz
, would you say that W4 is an overall better earphones than W3? Because I have the itch to go from W3 to W4. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #16,164 of 35,332
Again, by memory, I liked W4 better, more "neutral", though from what I remember from the Westone thread, some liked the W3 more, more fun. I liked the W40 better for sound, they changed the body a bit, but found the fit better on the W4
I can go through that draw again and pull out the W4 after work/tonight and do quick comparison,, I did tend to listen to the W4 much more than the W3 (until the cable started to fray, not replaceable).

Thank you very much. :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #16,165 of 35,332
OK, I pulled out the W3 from the too many iem drawer, just for comparison, fairly randomly, I pulled the FAD Heaven V from the too-many-iems-but-I-occasionally-pull-these-out upper drawer. Straight from Pono-both fairly comfortable, good seal, W3 a external ear shaped body which pops into the canal and the outer ear just outside of the canal. The FAD is bullet shaped, pops right in. W3 a bit more distance from the stage, FAD closer, both do width and depth pretty similarly, FAD does "empty space" better, more silence between the players. W4, though does fine detail (listened to hi rez Dylan, Just Like a Woman and Most Likely You'll Go Your Way and I'll Go mine, quick audition). Guitars easier heard (acoustic, not the lead, but not to the point of distracting from the main events), bass better, both gave Dylan's voice good presence and texture. For more fun (whoopie!!!), I went Pono/line out to Ray Samuels HR-2, cleaned up the space between instruments on the W3 some (but did for the FAD as well, still had the edge), widened and deepened the space, would have to give my win to the W3, especially for the bass, which had good impact and texture, more than the FAD.
My take-you might like the things the FAD brings to the table more (this is how I wound up with a too-many-iems drawer
smily_headphones1.gif
)
(neither has removable cables, btw).

thanks for the efforts and exploration of the too many item's archives!!!!! seems like the W3s are the better overall presentation vs cost package!!! i will let my friend who
is my ex partner, NOT my exporter (thank you spell check) in Santa Fe, New Mexico..

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #16,166 of 35,332
wrong thread

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #16,167 of 35,332
GC-EP-01 on sale for $15.99. (regularly $20 - 20% off MSRP) Any reviews? 
wink_face.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDV44S0?tag=dealnewscom&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1E8AJDELN2AKR#immersive-view_1437928693322

When these were in the planning stages, the cable was to be as thin as a cat's whisker - didn't happen. Kind of a disappointment.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #16,169 of 35,332
this was posted on the sponsor thread. 20% off from live soundwave with promo code "school." better than the 15% headfi coupon posted on the front page.

https://livesoundwave.com/en-us/livesoundwave

edit: "school" promo code works for the final audio heaven vii for $564 & free shipping. just wrote a review on those IEMs here, and lowest price compared to anything else I could find during my research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back