The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #14,567 of 35,319

Mine was just like new.  Not sure if it had ever been out of the box.

I am thrilled with them.  I have the LCD3 which is clearly more refined but the X2 really gets me involved.

What did the description say about blemishes on the one you ordered?

May 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #14,568 of 35,319
  OK, things just got really weird and awkward...

Back on deals, can anyone who bought a very good X2 for $239 comment on the shape it came in?

Mine looked new, never used, though the box was clearly opened.  Tremendous value for the price, though I've decided to send mine back because the bass is just a wee bit too flabby/boomy for me.  Please note I'm being extra picky because I've got quite a few better sounding (and much more expensive) headphones.  These are highly recommended for anyone looking in this price range.

May 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #14,569 of 35,319
  What did the description say about blemishes on the one you ordered?

I'm pretty sure mine was the only one available that just mentioned a blemish on the packaging.  The description turned out to be correct and the blemish was hard to notice even.

May 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #14,570 of 35,319

Mine looked new, never used, though the box was clearly opened.  Tremendous value for the price, though I've decided to send mine back because the bass is just a wee bit too flabby/boomy for me.  Please note I'm being extra picky because I've got quite a few better sounding (and much more expensive) headphones.  These are highly recommended for anyone looking in this price range.

I agree with Bob on the value of this buy.  I have owned a number of much more expensive headphones and these were a heck of a deal.  I really enjoy them and they really get me going.  I thought that the K7XX was a steal but I consider these X2 even moreso. 

May 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #14,571 of 35,319
What is this "X2" of which people speak? The Philips Fidelio X2? Clearly I need to be paying more attention to it.
wink.gif

May 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #14,574 of 35,319
May 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #14,575 of 35,319
Can you tell if a cartridge is included?

Thanks for posting.

HS

The AT95E is a decent cartridge; warm but lacking detail... I own this turntable and removed the built-in phono stage (and usb capability), because it sounds muddy. Here's a page with more info on how to upgrade the sound (youtube video link to pull the crappy built-in phono stage is on the second link):
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/upgrading-your-at-lp120-turntable.287307/
http://scouringthebins.blogspot.ca/2013/03/tweaking-audio-technica-at-lp120.html

I also ended up upgrading to a Pro-Ject 2xperience with an Ortofon 2m bronze... it's a lot better in sound quality, but also requires an external phono stage.

May 7, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #14,576 of 35,319

Can you tell if a cartridge is included?

Thanks for posting.

HS

The AT95E is a decent cartridge; warm but lacking detail... I own this turntable and removed the built-in phono stage (and usb capability), because it sounds muddy. Here's a page with more info on how to upgrade the sound (youtube video link to pull the crappy built-in phono stage is on the second link):
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/upgrading-your-at-lp120-turntable.287307/
http://scouringthebins.blogspot.ca/2013/03/tweaking-audio-technica-at-lp120.html

I also ended up upgrading to a Pro-Ject 2xperience with an Ortofon 2m bronze... it's a lot better in sound quality, but also requires an external phono stage.

That's really comparing the AT with a system that retails for about 5x as much.

For $200 something there is little that touches the AT system for value.  The AT95E is a great value.  It's no Ortofon Red (which is a great $100 cartridge and a couple steps below the Bronze), but then it's $40 from Amazon Prime.

BTW--I'll bet that the AT would benefit from a $100 to $150 phono preamp.

May 7, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #14,577 of 35,319
You guys are killin' me....LOL!  I've got a couple of milk crates of old LP's and my older boy was bugging me for a turntable to play them.  I don't think he's really gonna listen all that much, but it's more of a novelty.  I figured if I could pick up something that's not crazy money and spin a few records, at least they'd get the gist.

Thanks for the input...I'm going to do some reading on this when I get home tonight.

HS

May 7, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #14,578 of 35,319
  You guys are killin' me....LOL!  I've got a couple of milk crates of old LP's and my older boy was bugging me for a turntable to play them.  I don't think he's really gonna listen all that much, but it's more of a novelty.  I figured if I could pick up something that's not crazy money and spin a few records, at least they'd get the gist.

Thanks for the input...I'm going to do some reading on this when I get home tonight.

HS

Just be aware that both of these are manual turntables--no auto play or return of the tonearm.

May 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #14,579 of 35,319

HS

You could always get rid of the temptation and send the LP's to me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back