The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Feb 18, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #12,646 of 35,332
Call Razordog and ask for his best price on "B" stocks, which are strangely a lot like the regular ones, from what I can tell. Do the same with the HE-560s and compare prices.

Definitely can't agree with the HE-560s being more detailed, though they are more tuned towards treble presentation than the LCD-X. I think it's an illusion, many people will automatically choose the brighter headphone when comparing detail, but the reality is that even warmer sounding cans can be just as good in that area.

Interesting, the listed price on their website is $1,450.00 for b-stock lcdxs but brian is a nice guy so i can imagine u get can a nicer price.

mmm for detail, i respect ur position, but extra sense of micro detail on the he560 is more caused by the smoothness of the lcdx that blends the subtlies together rather than the treble of the he560. the crisp tight notes with greater spacing on the he560 naturally lends itself to a closer focus on the micro aspect. this is not to say the lcdx does not pick up details or lacks resolution, but the way the details are presented is more "swirled" into the rest of the sound & less noticeable. more of a macro focus on the whole in the lcdx's presentation. gives the sense of 'organicness' or 'lushness' to the music while the he560 seems more surgical with each distinct individual element very clearly showcased.

i do normally think that the more neutral pair of headphones will reveal more detail overall compared to colored headphones, but the reason i think the he560 is more 'detailed' has to do more with the transients, attack, and decay. not sure what you mean by illusion as the sound signature colorations that causes the effects on sonic presentation is the large reason for sonic differences imo. like increased bass presence due to a warmer sound signature isnt rly an illusion in my mind, but just an unique presentation. similarly, the smoothness & warmness of the lcdx causes differences with the sonic presentation.

interestig perspective though. i appreciate the feedback.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #12,647 of 35,332
Well, with that small a difference, how much more is the Audeze? $500 or more, no? Makes the 560 a bargain(it's saving money like this that keeps my bank account shrinking).

Dj, time to join us over at summit-fi to discuss the he1000. All that hifiman you love and more! :)

OK, I'll check it out, you devil you :D
Just got an appointment at acs to hear the new Encore, 2 weeks from today is the earliest time I'm free when they're there for the audition.
The rumors on the he1000 is more than $2000, getting into rarified territory...
There's a meet on Long Island in April that I hope to get to, maybe it'll be there to listen to...

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #12,648 of 35,332
Amazon lightning deal on the Philips Fidelio X1 for $169 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_6282_e06b3c4a?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=0VMPP1NYT8Q54EEPET5G&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1980506282

Open to prime members early.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #12,649 of 35,332
Well, with that small a difference, how much more is the Audeze? $500 or more, no? Makes the 560 a bargain(it's saving money like this that keeps my bank account shrinking).

Dj, time to join us over at summit-fi to discuss the he1000. All that hifiman you love and more! :)

I think I've been deliberately avoiding Summit Fi (or the High-End Audio Forum), once I go there, think I'm sunk! :xf_eek:

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #12,651 of 35,332
  A reminder that the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is still available from Amazon Prime and B & H for $150:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037615-REG/yamaha_hph_mt220bl_hph_mt120_studio_monitor_headphones.html

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B44N0DA

I'm surprised these are not all sold out by now. They have amazing clarity and balance. I would only avoid if you like a warmer/darker sounding headphones.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #12,653 of 35,332
The SMSL M8 Sabre DAC is on MD, final drop is $180.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-m8

Anyone have experience with this DAC?

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #12,654 of 35,332
  Tried out the M50x but didnt like the highs. Is the X1 anything like it?

I used to have M50 and they felt claustrophobic and a little dry. I understand the M50X maintains the same sound signature as M50. The sound of X1 is totally different from M50. Very smooth, clean, detailed, and yet warm. They have good bass extension and impact but also maintain great clarity in mids and highs. The X1s are also more comfortable then the M50 but there is no isolation. The $169 is an excellent deal.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #12,655 of 35,332
Just jumped on the Fidelio X1 lighting deal for $170, was on the waiting list. Been curious about this line.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #12,656 of 35,332
I used to have M50 and they felt claustrophobic and a little dry. I understand the M50X maintains the same sound signature as M50. The sound of X1 is totally different from M50. Very smooth, clean, detailed, and yet warm. They have good bass extension and impact but also maintain great clarity in mids and highs. The X1s are also more comfortable then the M50 but there is no isolation. The $169 is an excellent deal.

well x1 is open vs m50x which is closed. depends what application, but i agree if going for only home listening & dont need portability or noise isolation, always go for the open option

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #12,657 of 35,332

I would disagree about clarity in the mids.  It's pretty much the main weakness of the X1's sound that the bass is a little bloated and muddies up the mids.  But yeah, overall it's a great headphone and I'd recommend it easily to anyone who's on the fence.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #12,659 of 35,332
Not sure how many of you would consider this a deal monetarily, but TangentSoft just published all of the ExpressPCB files for the PPA V1 and PIMETA V1. Only the PPA V2 had been accessible... until today! Just install PDF2GERB and an version of Strawberry Perl from around 2010. (Note: The newer versions of Strawberry result in an error as I found out the long and hard way. Fortunately, I stumbled on this post online: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/pcb-design-software-with-more-control-over-route-shapes/15/ ) That means taking those files and using those programs in tandem with ExpressPCB and a PDF printer like Bullzip, you can print your very own PCBs of these fine amplifier circuits. The PIMETA V1 is a cost effective and fun way to get into op-amp and buffer rolling and the like. Feel free to crosspost this to all relevant threads.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #12,660 of 35,332
Just a quick note to anyone who is experiencing harshness and thinness with the PFE earphones. You may want to seriously look into the sample rate converter you are using. Even so-called top-of-the-line DACs out there will add their own coloring with too much filtering, such as over-sampling and over-dithering. Turn off those features and instead, using SoX on Foobar (with WASAPI on) will do perfect resampling without seasoning the sound with off-putting distortion or aliasing. While you're at it, save your money from not buying into those silly audiophile processing tools that state they do something better.

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373

Not convinced? Visit this nifty sample rate conversion comparison site below for yourself and compare foo_dsp_resampler with the others, including high-end DAWs. As the numbers will show and your personal listening will confirm, SoX for Foobar has a perfectly black, clean, clear frequency response:

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back