The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #10,891 of 35,319
My only suggestions with the HD 650 are have an amp that can drive them so you're getting the most out of them and live with them for a while before you make up your mind.  A/B'g them with bright phones is not a good plan when you first get them.  Just spend some time with them and then conclude whether you like them or not.  I changed my mind as at first I would have called them really veiled as well.  Something changed...me or the can.  Dunno and don't care.  I really like them now, especially after the adjustment to the kung-fu grip headband on my big noggin.

Under $300 is a helluva deal.

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #10,892 of 35,319
I had the Senn 650 for a while without having a good amp, was always disappointed with them. Then I got the Ray Samuels HR-2.....what a difference an amp makes(old song pun, which I'm sure most of you won't remember), detailed, punch, NO MORE VEIL!! Even inexpensive portable amps didn't get there. When properly driven, they're great cans.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #10,896 of 35,319
I'm using my 650s with an Asgard 2 and a Berning Micro ZOTL and experience no veil at all. In fact, I'm quite pleased at how transparent they sound. So I think there is something to using them with a good amp.

Even in a case where there is veil, I personally think there are other aspects of sound that combine to make for a pleasurable listening experience. Things like, tone, timbre, pacing, etc. So clarity and resolution are just one piece of what makes a good headphone to me. There's some give and take if a set of cans does other things particularly well.

But again, pair the 650 with a good amp and it's likely you won't experience the veil. Great set of cans.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #10,897 of 35,319
The veil is a myth. Please don't fall for that.

If you want a bright sound, go for another set. Or pair it to a really bright treblehead source.

It isn't a matter of being correctly amped, but correctly paired.

S2 HD650.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #10,898 of 35,319
[/quote]If I remember correctly, that amp (Berning) is not in production now. A friend raves about it,and has checked on it...it is supposed to go back in production in the next few months.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #10,899 of 35,319
I'm using my 650s with an Asgard 2 and a Berning Micro ZOTL and experience no veil at all. In fact, I'm quite pleased at how transparent they sound. So I think there is something to using them with a good amp.

Even in a case where there is veil, I personally think there are other aspects of sound that combine to make for a pleasurable listening experience. Things like, tone, timbre, pacing, etc. So clarity and resolution are just one piece of what makes a good headphone to me. There's some give and take if a set of cans does other things particularly well.

But again, pair the 650 with a good amp and it's likely you won't experience the veil. Great set of cans.

If you are coming from many a lesser can to the HD 650, I suppose that might be (relatively) true.  However, if you are coming from a can like the HD 800, T1, HE 500, Sony MDR-SA5000 or even the Q701, various Grados & Alessandros or the HD 600, you can hear the difference.  In this context the HD 650 lacks air & upper harmonics and it is a tad on the slow side.  It sounds that way with the Asgard 2 or a Burson.

Yes it's a great can, but it has its relative weaknesses.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #10,900 of 35,319
The great thing about the HD 650 (if you love them) is that they scale extremely well with better and better gear, so they can actually grow with you through this crazy journey called head-fi.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #10,901 of 35,319
I might try them, how/where do you input the code on Adorama?

Any answer to this question?  I am considering trying them again but I couldn't find where the code goes.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #10,905 of 35,319
There is a link toward the bottom of the checkout "Do you have a promo code".  Click on this and a dialog block opens.  The code provided a few pages earlier no longer works however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back