The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #10,156 of 35,332
Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR bookshelf's from Amazon with prime for only $59.99

Get 'em while their hot!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG/

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #10,157 of 35,332
Try the primes. To my ears, i would not have bought the HE-6 had i heard the primes earlier.
I had the primes for 2 weeks, they are really good, a closed version of the lcd2f to my ears, but imho the package is not worth the price, they should cost 150$ less to be competitive with the audeze's offer

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #10,158 of 35,332
  Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR bookshelf's from Amazon with prime for only $59.99

Get 'em while their hot!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG/

And it's over. Sorry folks.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #10,159 of 35,332

I have to ask, if they have to be modded to be good, what is the point of buying them in the first place?  I'm sure you could mod a lot of junk headphones into sounding acceptable, but you could also just buy a good pair to begin with.

I am not trying to sound hostile here.  I am genuinely curious.  I have never heard them, modded or stock, so I don't understand.

1) they are cheap sub-$100 headphones
2) apparently they have nice balanced neutral drivers that can compete with $300-$999+ headphone drivers (after mods)

see mr. speakers for an example of the pricing that people here are willing to pay for modded versions headphones. Ranges from $300-$999.

edit: yes, whether these prices are "worth it" depends on the buyer. while, technically not 'worth it' from a material cost perspective... apparently mr. speaker's modded version of these sub-$100 headphones can sonically compete (or competes outshine - depending on who you talk to) with other headphones in those price ranges.

I guess I am personally uncomfortable paying thattt much money to upgrade inexpensive headphones, but other people around here find it worthwhile. I am very interested in trying mr. speaker's line-up to see for myself, but not willing to pay the 15% restocking fee.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #10,161 of 35,332
  I tried one of the Linn tracks - Brandenburg Concerto No.2 in F Major. (Thanks to Stillhart for your daily reminders 
beerchug.gif
)

It serves as a reminder to just how compressed a large part of my music library really is 
frown.gif

Yes, it's interesting to listen each day to the various musical genres and recording techniques. Dynamic Range Meter (foobar) result for Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 is 15 which is the highest thus far. Barb Jungr's 'Many Rivers to Cross' has a DR of only 8 and it sounds more like a modern pop/rock recording (i.e. louder/compressed) albeit w/ stellar detail and resolution. The Ingrid Fliter Chopin piano piece has a DR of 14.  

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #10,162 of 35,332
FYI folks, I'm happy to post reminders.  But I'm not going to upload all these for the folks that missed them.  Please do not PM me and ask.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #10,163 of 35,332

Just because the asking price is $900-$1000 doesn't mean they're worth it 
wink.gif

Try the primes. To my ears, i would not have bought the HE-6 had i heard the primes earlier.

Not to my ears.  A properly powered HE-6 is in a tier above them.  A fair fight would be between the Primes and the HE-500.  That's no knock, as these last two are outstanding cans.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #10,165 of 35,332
 Not to my ears.  A properly powered HE-6 is in a tier above them.  A fair fight would be between the Primes and the HE-500.  That's no knock, as these last two are outstanding cans.

That's what I hear too, with the HE-560s being in the same class as the HE-6s (and a real bargain in their own right.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #10,166 of 35,332
  Yes, it's interesting to listen each day to the various musical genres and recording techniques. Dynamic Range Meter (foobar) result for Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 is 15 which is the highest thus far. Barb Jungr's 'Many Rivers to Cross' has a DR of only 8 and it sounds more like a modern pop/rock recording (i.e. louder/compressed) albeit w/ stellar detail and resolution. The Ingrid Fliter Chopin piano piece has a DR of 14.  

Careful with the DR meter: its main utility is in comparing dynamic range of masterings of the same album, not in broad cross-genre comparisons. I can find snippets of some of my tracks that have a DR of 20+, but that falls down into 14-15 when the whole track/album is considered. This is due to the algorithm that the meter uses, given here.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #10,167 of 35,332
That's what I hear too, with the HE-560s being in the same class as the HE-6s (and a real bargain in their own right.

Oh no, the 6 are still better in many ways - tighter and faster, but they're only at their best with my LAu and almost as good with the mj. The primes are just usable with more amps and waaaaay comfy. Which is what i was looking for. While sq is ultimately better overall with the he6, the primes would have gotten my vote considering the price difference. But that's just me.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #10,168 of 35,332

Oh no, the 6 are still better in many ways - tighter and faster, but they're only at their best with my LAu and almost as good with the mj. The primes are just usable with more amps and waaaaay comfy. Which is what i was looking for. While sq is ultimately better overall with the he6, the primes would have gotten my vote considering the price difference. But that's just me.

Considering they're in the same asking price, with diminishing returns that means the HE-6 is a bargain, or......
redface.gif

The Mad Dogs are great and a great value though  
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #10,169 of 35,332
Would you say they perform better than those insignia speakers everyone was gaga for about 5 or 6 years ago? (Andrew Jones pioneer speakers)

I've never tried the Insignia but IMO the BS21 (in the case of the sale BS22) is fantastic for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back