The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #10,141 of 35,338
I tried one of the Linn tracks - Brandenburg Concerto No.2 in F Major. (Thanks to Stillhart for your daily reminders 
beerchug.gif
)

It serves as a reminder to just how compressed a large part of my music library really is 
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #10,142 of 35,338
Yeah I actually starting listening to the ones I'd downloaded last night. Some good stuff in there. I really liked "The Man Who Sold the World".

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #10,144 of 35,338
That's a ridiculous statement but then again I only heard the mad dog 3.2. The t50rp should be good for many genres and really should be modded from the consensus.

read a few pages of the ortho thread, saw one post that they're just for female-vocal focused songs but no other posts so wasnt sure

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #10,145 of 35,338
That's a ridiculous statement but then again I only heard the mad dog 3.2. The t50rp should be good for many genres and really should be modded from the consensus.

I have to ask, if they have to be modded to be good, what is the point of buying them in the first place?  I'm sure you could mod a lot of junk headphones into sounding acceptable, but you could also just buy a good pair to begin with.

I am not trying to sound hostile here.  I am genuinely curious.  I have never heard them, modded or stock, so I don't understand.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #10,146 of 35,338

I have to ask, if they have to be modded to be good, what is the point of buying them in the first place?  I'm sure you could mod a lot of junk headphones into sounding acceptable, but you could also just buy a good pair to begin with.

I am not trying to sound hostile here.  I am genuinely curious.  I have never heard them, modded or stock, so I don't understand.

I believe the deal with the Fostex (I have a couple of modified pairs) is that they are a relatively inexpensive ($100) planar (I think its planar) headphone that can be easily made into a very good/excellent ($300-$500) headphone by spending a couple of bucks and a couple of hours on relatively easy modifications.   Many people spend hours on their mods but the Fostex can be made very good in just a couple of hours and no special tools or skills are required.  You've just got to want to do it.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #10,147 of 35,338
I believe the deal with the Fostex (I have a couple of modified pairs) is that they are a relatively inexpensive ($100) planar (I think its planar) headphone that can be easily made into a very good/excellent ($300-$500) headphone by spending a couple of bucks and a couple of hours on relatively easy modifications.   Many people spend hours on their mods but the Fostex can be made very good in just a couple of hours and no special tools or skills are required.  You've just got to want to do it.
They're orthos not planar.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #10,149 of 35,338

The drivers in the headphones are excellent drivers. They are really fast and have great detail retrieval. So people saw the potential for them to sound better. By controlling certain aspects that affect closed headphones (e.g. resonance from the back of the cup), early modders got these to sound pretty darn good. A year or so later, mrspeakers began to toy with them and later started a business out of them. A few others followed.  I think the Mad dog headphones are a solid step ahead of the Q701, DT990, and HD650 in their technical capabilities. 

They're orthos not planar.

IIRC orthodynamic is the trade name yamaha put on planar magnetic drivers

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #10,150 of 35,338
Just to show their potential, the Alpha and Prime headphones are using the t50rp drivers and those are $600/$900-1000 headphones.
The drivers in the headphones are excellent drivers. They are really fast and have great detail retrieval. So people saw the potential for them to sound better. By controlling certain aspects that affect closed headphones (e.g. resonance from the back of the cup), early modders got these to sound pretty darn good. A year or so later, mrspeakers began to toy with them and later started a business out of them. A few others followed.  I think the Mad dog headphones are a solid step ahead of the Q701, DT990, and HD650 in their technical capabilities. 

IIRC orthodynamic is the trade name yamaha put on planar magnetic drivers

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #10,155 of 35,338

here's my experience
these headphones out of the box sound terrible
tinny highs, no bass awful
after this fairly simple mod (a screwdriver and a couple hours)
they sound beautiful, sparkling detailed highs, tight bass, and midrange
to die for... theres no end of info out there for doing this

Fostex T50RP                      $107.00 (purchased in july)
Snap-on headband pad          $17.00
electronics kit        $20.00 (includes necessary materials, clay, felt, dynamat,etc...)
Alphapads from MrSpeakers  $60.00 
Mogami cabling, mini xlr jacks $20.00

Total                                     $224.00

about half of what it would cost to buy the finished product 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back