The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #9,887 of 35,319

Exactly. If I missed the sale but was still looking for a good deal on them (compared to the normal retail price) the marketplace would be the first place I checked in case someone who got the sale was reselling them. I don't see a problem.

The problem is that flipping is against forum rules:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buy-sell-trade-rules

As it is, though, due to the recent buying frenzy, members trying to flip the headphones in the Head-Fi classifieds probably will not profit very much anyway.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #9,888 of 35,319

Exactly. If I missed the sale but was still looking for a good deal on them (compared to the normal retail price) the marketplace would be the first place I checked in case someone who got the sale was reselling them. I don't see a problem.

If I had to guess at the reasoning:  there are people who were genuinely interested in buying these for themselves but couldn't because they sold out.  Now they're forced to pay more because someone bought them first to flip.  To those people, it's a load of ********.  Sure they may still be saving money, but not as much as they could have.  

Losing out on deal to someone who genuinely wants those headphones is life.  Losing out to someone who is just trying to flip and drive up the prices sucks.  That's not a way to build up a community.  We should be helping eachother find good deals (like in this thread), not preying on each other. 

There's nothing illegal about flipping and anyone who doesn't feel any moral qualms is more than welcome to do it.  But doing it here is bad for the community.

That's my theory at least.

Me personally?  I'm not above selling a used headphone for the same price or more than I paid for it.  Supply and demand will determine what's a reasonable price.  But I think it's shady to buy new JUST to flip for a profit. Ever try to buy Super Bowl tickets for face value?  How about tickets to a big concert?  I don't like being on the receiving end of that and I try to treat others like I'd like to be treated.  My $0.02.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #9,889 of 35,319
It states in black and white in the head-Fi rules gear CANNOT be sold for a profit. People wanna flip stuff for coin there's plenty of places on the net to do so. The idea behind the rule is to try and maintain a sense of community an not let head-Fi become the next flea bay.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #9,890 of 35,319
Like I said, just be classy about it if there is suspicion of flipping. We don't want some people being wrongly accused like the last time.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #9,891 of 35,319
It states in black and white in the head-Fi rules gear CANNOT be sold for a profit. People wanna flip stuff for coin there's plenty of places on the net to do so. The idea behind the rule is to try and maintain a sense of community an not let head-Fi become the next flea bay.

If I had to guess at the reasoning:  there are people who were genuinely interested in buying these for themselves but couldn't because they sold out.  Now they're forced to pay more because someone bought them first to flip.  To those people, it's a load of ********.  Sure they may still be saving money, but not as much as they could have.  

Losing out on deal to someone who genuinely wants those headphones is life.  Losing out to someone who is just trying to flip and drive up the prices sucks.  That's not a way to build up a community.  We should be helping eachother find good deals (like in this thread), not preying on each other. 

There's nothing illegal about flipping and anyone who doesn't feel any moral qualms is more than welcome to do it.  But doing it here is bad for the community.

That's my theory at least.

Me personally?  I'm not above selling a used headphone for the same price or more than I paid for it.  Supply and demand will determine what's a reasonable price.  But I think it's shady to buy new JUST to flip for a profit. Ever try to buy Super Bowl tickets for face value?  How about tickets to a big concert?  I don't like being on the receiving end of that and I try to treat others like I'd like to be treated.  My $0.02.

+1

Like I said, just be classy about it if there is suspicion of flipping. We don't want some people being wrongly accused like the last time.
Agreed. I think if someone is posting NIB, next logical step should be asking for receipt since they're being sold as new, you'd want the warranty, which requires the receipt. If person doesn't want to furnish, might mean they're flipping.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #9,892 of 35,319
You are not allowed to sell a headphone for more than how much it cost to obtain them. Not including shipping, fees, etc.
The only exception are rare and discontinued headphones that are almost impossible to find.

It does not matter about personal opinion, this is simply the rule. It's always been this way on Head-Fi.

I think I'd rather prefer the obvious flip attempts over crafty sellers who fish for best offers. Good intentions or bad, best offer is almost always taking advantage of the system.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #9,893 of 35,319
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms. Still $129 at Guitar Center. Pickup or free delivery. Supervisor at call center says NOT a Black Friday/Cyber Monday continuation. Expects deal through December. However, If you think you want them, buy now. Super could be wrong. They have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee. Opps you waited to late if you go there now (6:13 p.m., 12/4). Price is now $169. Just goes to show you what supervisors know. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #9,894 of 35,319
The problem is that flipping is against forum rules:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buy-sell-trade-rules

As it is, though, due to the recent buying frenzy, members trying to flip the headphones in the Head-Fi classifieds probably will not profit very much anyway.

Yup, there it is. Didn't know that. Thanks for the link.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #9,896 of 35,319
You are not allowed to sell a headphone for more than how much it cost to obtain them. Not including shipping, fees, etc.
The only exception are rare and discontinued headphones that are almost impossible to find.

It does not matter about personal opinion, this is simply the rule. It's always been this way on Head-Fi.

I think I'd rather prefer the obvious flip attempts over crafty sellers who fish for best offers. Good intentions or bad, best offer is almost always taking advantage of the system.

I got my headphone for free.(gift) And you mean I cant sell it otherwise I have to pay for the buyer lol
And lets say I bought a hd800+hdvd800 for $3000, now I want to sell hd800, what should I do? 

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #9,897 of 35,319
  Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms. Still $129 at Guitar Center. Pickup or free delivery. Supervisor at call center says NOT a Black Friday/Cyber Monday continuation. Expects deal through December. However, If you think you want them, buy now. Super could be wrong. They have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee.

I'm still debating whether to get this one.  I'm curious to hear the Beyer sound and there's a Guitar Center in walking distance from my work...

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #9,898 of 35,319
  I got my headphone for free.(gift) And you mean I cant sell it otherwise I have to pay for the buyer lol
And lets say I bought a hd800+hdvd800 for $3000, now I want to sell hd800, what should I do? 

Use common sense?

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #9,899 of 35,319

I would think there wouldn't be an issue as 1) you did not purchase them yourself and 2) you'd likely be selling them at less than the purchase price. But if someone did make an issue, there's always eBay or Amazon Marketplace.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #9,900 of 35,319
I received my HD 598s last night and I'm already in love with them! It's unbelievable how amazing good headphones make music sound. Best $100 spent ever.

Also, it's unbelievable how even after 5 hours of continuous music, I don't feel one bit tired. These things are comfy as hell and don't cause any fatigue at all. On my 439s, I had to take a break every couple hours or I'd feel irritated. I'm so happy! :')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back