The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #8,146 of 35,316
  What does the ESP950 sound like actually... I'm quite curious.. 

Good. Though I'd rather hook it up to a Stax amp. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #8,150 of 35,316
The question isn't just if it is a good price for the Koss headphones, but, since it's still not inexpensive, is it the best you can do for that amount. I haven't heard the Koss, recently got open box Hifiman HD-560 for about the same amount. Maybe someone has both and can compare, reviews are great for the 560. I really like my pair (read about the open box on this thread), just sayin

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #8,157 of 35,316
Doctorjazz, I agree completely with what you wrote, "The question isn't just if it is a good price for the Koss headphones, but, since it's still not inexpensive, is it the best you can do for that amount.". I have the same view for any deal on any headphone/iem. Personally, I don't care if a deal is exceptional for a particular item, if there is another phone, that can be had at about the same price, that is better. The hard part is deciding this, without auditioning.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8,159 of 35,316
Good. Though I'd rather hook it up to a Stax amp. 

I didn't notice a tremendous difference, maybe a tiny lowering in noise floor, dynamics were still the same.

What does the ESP950 sound like actually... I'm quite curious.. 

Warmer than most Stax, with slightly more forward mids, but still very neutral compared to the vast majority of dynamic cans. I'd characterize it as a very pleasing and rich sound, great to listen to for long sessions without being fatiguing.

Doctorjazz, I agree completely with what you wrote, "The question isn't just if it is a good price for the Koss headphones, but, since it's still not inexpensive, is it the best you can do for that amount.". I have the same view for any deal on any headphone/iem. Personally, I don't care if a deal is exceptional for a particular item, if there is another phone, that can be had at about the same price, that is better. The hard part is deciding this, without auditioning.

IMO, yes, nothing else touches them at their price point, even at full retail. The HE-6 is a close competitor, but for more money.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #8,160 of 35,316
  Don't know if you would consider this a deal but...

Philips SHE3590 for $2.99 on sonic electronix (use code DEAL60)

For $3, I think they sound pretty decent.  Might make a good stocking stuffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back