The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #6,061 of 35,343
For those of you who have been wanting the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, this authorized dealer on ebay has 1 left for $129.99. I've never seen it cheaper, kinda bummed I have to miss out on it. As I said, only one copy left so I apologize if its gone when you go to check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-WHITE-Close-Back-Professional-Headphone-/301238422122?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item4623358a6a

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #6,062 of 35,343
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1365-ps-audio-jewel-power-cable.aspx

Good deal on PS Audio IEC (power) cable. Basically 50% off

1M - $35

1.5M - $40

Etc...

Many other great deals from Music Direct if you're willing to search their huge clearance list...

Hmm. I'm tempted to get this - anyone want to talk me out of it? I'm not really a believer in cables improving sound, but all the stuff I have read seems to concern interconnects, not the actual power cable. Would there be any kind of performance improvement with this, even if it's not specifically in terms of the sound? I guess that sounds kind of silly now that I say it… I do think it looks nice and well-made, and I wouldn't mind paying a slight premium just for nicer looking cables, although there's obviously a limit to what I would be willing to spend on them. Is this still a waste of money even at the sale price? 

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #6,063 of 35,343

Hmm. I'm tempted to get this - anyone want to talk me out of it? I'm not really a believer in cables improving sound, but all the stuff I have read seems to concern interconnects, not the actual power cable. Would there be any kind of performance improvement with this, even if it's not specifically in terms of the sound? I guess that sounds kind of silly now that I say it… I do think it looks nice and well-made, and I wouldn't mind paying a slight premium just for nicer looking cables, although there's obviously a limit to what I would be willing to spend on them. Is this still a waste of money even at the sale price? 

Nope none, it's all placebo.

But hey, what's pretty is pretty.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #6,064 of 35,343

I would say that even if it's not placebo effect, the effect will be extremely small.  I think most people would get more bang for their buck by investing that cash into better headphones, amps, DACs.  

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #6,066 of 35,343

Pretty is pretty, but peace of mind is priceless?! :evil:

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #6,067 of 35,343

Power cables are power cables, theres no point paying a premium unless you want the visual upgrade.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #6,068 of 35,343
Lots to consider when buying a cable. I try to prioritize certain aspects over others.
1. Function: Length, weight, flexibility, adaquate conductor size, etc. Make sure it will work with your setups.
2. Quality: Good quality materials and workmanship make all the difference. It will determine the longevity of the product.
3. Style: You're paying for it, so it might as well look the way you want.

Somewhere far down the list are possible sonic characteristics.

Making bad choices on #1 and #2 will affect the sound more than anything else.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #6,069 of 35,343
Any well-made power cable will work wonders for your setup. It doesn't have to be boutique, just reliable. Like I said before, don't pay a premium. However, I'll expand my statement and don't be too cheap either, like the guy above me said.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #6,070 of 35,343
Power cables are power cables, theres no point paying a premium unless you want the visual upgrade.

Power conditioners on the other hand CAN make a significant difference. I live in an old house (build pre-1940s) and while surely it's been rewired at some point it still has less than optimal power. It's not one of those things where you can't hear it sounding bad until you try a power conditioner and hear a significant jump in SQ.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6,071 of 35,343
I bought some welding cables (10 or 12 gauge), dressed them up with TechFlex, connected to hospital-grade plugs bought from Home Depot, and called it done for power cables.

Upgrading power cords practically have zero benefit, just make sure it's capable to carry enough juice/ampere required.  

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #6,072 of 35,343
Well, if you want an even cheaper power cable that's extremely well-made, try Pangea:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030ERI1W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VMEMKLWLKQQN&coliid=IJJS0WVEXD76D

It looks like a couple Amazon customers had some issues with fit, but mine fits snugly.  IOW, it hasn't fallen out in the three years I've had it!  I certainly won't vouch for any sonic improvement, and it's not at all flexible.  However, it gets the job done and looks pretty doing it.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #6,073 of 35,343
Pretty is pretty, but peace of mind is priceless?! :evil:

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life –

:beerchug:

Power conditioners on the other hand CAN make a significant difference. I live in an old house (build pre-1940s) and while surely it's been rewired at some point it still has less than optimal power. It's not one of those things where you can't hear it sounding bad until you try a power conditioner and hear a significant jump in SQ.

Power conditioner suggestions?

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #6,074 of 35,343
If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life –

beerchug.gif

Power conditioner suggestions?

I use the Yulong P18.   It seems to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back