The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #4,726 of 35,328

The friend I gave 'em to told me that there's a good amount of bass, they seal very well, are a bit heavy but comfortable, and he mentioned the highs seem louder than everything else, but once the rest kicks in it balances well. So a bit of a treble spike I guess?

His source is pretty trashy though, gonna see what he thinks when he grabs a good setup. Or might borrow them and try them with my Uber Bifrost + Asgard2 after he burns them in

I don't hear any treble spikes, but my amp is generally described as dark.  It pairs well with the Q because it tames the trebles a bit.  I suspect it's doing the same to these cans, to the detriment of the overall sound.  They probably need a much brighter source.  I'd be curious what you think with your BA stack.

+1 and somewhat agree with fuzzykiwi.

I think these might go back, not what I expected even at $150. I'm going to give it a little but more time.
I think it sort of boil down to what headphone you are coming from and what you are looking for. It sort of have a typical mainstream sound to them, not sure how to describe it.
Most heavier bass headphone seem to have a v shape to them to add treble to balance out the bass. These seem to not, treble is there, but seem peaky and off and lack balance. Maybe I need more time to adjust.

I went out there to compare them to the P7, k545, hd558 and I prefer all those over the d600. I also compared them to the hd598 which I own. Comfort wise they are comfortable but bulky width wise. Fit is fine also even though it's on the smallest setting. That's a quick impression. The price is good if you don't own other headphone in $200+, IMO of course

Off to waiting for next big deal
smily_headphones1.gif

What amp are you using with these (if any)?

Also, I tried all those cans as well as the ESW9a while I was there.  Boy, those little wooden cans sounded pretty good!

All this negativity about those D600's.  Can we get some props for the ridiculously packaging, the cables as thick as your arm, and the ear pads that are soft as marshmallows?

May 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,727 of 35,328

Saw this at midnight while laying in bed drunk and ended up buying em.  Woke up this morning and couldn't remember if it was a dream or not!  It's real!

Checked it today and it looks like Sonic Sense has a perpetual stock of only three left...

Lol

May 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #4,728 of 35,328

I don't hear any treble spikes, but my amp is generally described as dark.  It pairs well with the Q because it tames the trebles a bit.  I suspect it's doing the same to these cans, to the detriment of the overall sound.  They probably need a much brighter source.  I'd be curious what you think with your BA stack.

Also, I tried all those cans as well as the ESW9a while I was there.  Boy, those little wooden cans sounded pretty good!

All this negativity about those D600's.  Can we get some props for the ridiculously packaging, the cables as thick as your arm, and the ear pads that are soft as marshmallows?

Heck yes I'll give them props!  I listen to them daily out of a vintage Realistic receiver amp and they sound amazing.  Maybe it's a source issue, not sure, but I like them a lot and am used to the early Denon sound signature and don't think these suck at all.  Hope they grow on you guys, but the reality is no headphone is for everyone. 

May 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #4,729 of 35,328
Also, anyone looking into those Turtle Beach DSS units got one on E-bay without accessories for $18 shipped. Got a usb and optical cable already so no biggie:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-DSS-7-1-Surround-Sound-Processor-only-/400700135805?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d4b96d97d

May 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #4,730 of 35,328

You and I have differing tastes. ESW9a I did not like either, I've tried it many times at BestBuy. I don't like the high end of the D600's and the mids really. The bass, great. 

But the packaging is really nice and so are the cables. I never knew cables could be so well made. 

May 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #4,731 of 35,328
What's your source Kiwi?
You and I have differing tastes. ESW9a I did not like either, I've tried it many times at BestBuy. I don't like the high end of the D600's and the mids really. The bass, great. 

But the packaging is really nice and so are the cables. I never knew cables could be so well made. 

May 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #4,732 of 35,328
What's your source Kiwi?

S3 with the AT headphone. For the D600 I tried it out of my Xonar DG and S3

May 6, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #4,733 of 35,328
S3 with the AT headphone. For the D600 I tried it out of my Xonar DG and S3

Thanks for the input.

That's disappointing on the S3 but I didn't expect it to drive it fully in the first place. All headphones with more than 42mm drivers sounded bad with the S3, maybe except for the SRH1440. Of course that's not a set rule, just my experience. 50mm drivers really need proper amping imo. Hopefully I'll get better results in my 4 other sources varying from dark to neutral to bright.

May 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4,734 of 35,328

Probably not the best for it the fiio e7 and also the Lyr. But, I didn't amp them at all as I'm hoping to use them as a "on the whim".
I didn't hate them, but just not for me at the moment at least. As I hinted earlier, it's probably due to me coming from other headphone, the HD800 and HD598 as I just got these that I'm use to the signature and both are open. I should really put them up to the test against my d2000 which I have them boxed up at the moment for me to sell soon. I'm not though as they didn't impress me enough.

Yup I do like the bag that it came with, the ear pads are thick and soft (seems durable). Overall comfy.

May 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4,736 of 35,328
  Beyerdynamic T1 (used condition/like new) by a third-party seller on Amazon Warehouse for $708 plus $6.99 shipping right now. The seller has no rating, though, so YMMV...

This is not a legitimate seller. They also show an HD800 for $820 new. I've seen a few sellers like this in the past few months. Even if you can get the order to go through, it is canceled within the hour with no explanation.

May 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,738 of 35,328

I emailed on the HD800... Why not, right? 

I'm guessing you might get an invoice from what looks like Amazon payments that requests you send money. If the seller does contact you, I'd advise you to call Amazon's customer support. I only say this because the same thing happened to me. I got a bogus, but very official-looking invoice with an order # that did not exist when I emailed the person. I had to spend a little while going back and forth with Amazon to explain the situation and they confirmed the seller was not legitimate. 

Edit: Also, note that all items in the seller's store front are now listed as unavailable. 

May 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #4,739 of 35,328
Okay guys, so a bit of burnin really helps the D600 settle in.  I'm upgrading my opinion of them; they're definitely worth the $150 sale price, if not more. 

One thing I'll note is that I tested a bit with using these right out of my sound card and the sound quality definitely took a hit.  The fatiguing treble was there and the bass lost a bit of control.  These things don't need an amp for power, but they do seem to respond well to it. 

I also think they'd benefit from a slightly brighter amp than mine, but I wouldn't use a "bright" amp because of the treble issues.

So yeah, all that said, I think the thing that bothers me the most about these compared to the Q701 is that the small soundstage makes all the instruments and such feel congested.  But you know, it's not really fair to compare a closed can to the Q701, which is known for having one of the biggest soundstages you can get in the price range. 

I don't know, these cans are growing on me.  I suggest burning these in a bit and amping them before making a final decision if you're on the fence.

EDIT - Oh and some music sounds a lot better on these than on the Q.  Like anything with a lot of highs that can get harsh on a revealing can (Good Example Here).

May 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,740 of 35,328

I'm guessing you might get an invoice from what looks like Amazon payments that requests you send money. If the seller does contact you, I'd advise you to call Amazon's customer support. I only say this because the same thing happened to me. I got a bogus, but very official-looking invoice with an order # that did not exist when I emailed the person. I had to spend a little while going back and forth with Amazon to explain the situation and they confirmed the seller was not legitimate. 

Word. 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back