The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #14,371 of 35,338

eek.gif

If you "upgrade", you will hear vocals with that solo guitar.

lol!!!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #14,372 of 35,338
Better than a sub-$300 hd650?!

The HD650 is a nice headphone and can sound great with the right setup.  But it's kind of a niche sound IMO.  I find the X2 to be a better all-around headphone.

Or tl;dr: 

Yes.

Hmmm, from what I've read. not much of an improvement sound quality wise over the X1 (aside from some comfort issues). Since I don't have a problem with the X1 comfort wise, these are really inexpensive (when you find them) now, I can get a second pair (my teen daughter "liberated" my 1st pair
smily_headphones1.gif
)

If you thought the loose, muddy bass of the X1 was its biggest downfall, you'll love the improved sound of the X2.  If you don't mind the bass of the X1, save yourself some money.

I hate when people use the word BEST no such thing in audio. Its all subjective.

I think we can all agree that anyone who'd been on this board for a while implies IMO and YMMV with every single post.  Do we REALLY have to say it EVERY post or get shot down for making objective statements about a subjective hobby???

I have to agree with Axel and Stillhart here. The X2 will give you better sound in most cases... unless you have really high-end upstream gear or a sweet sounding OTL tube amp, in which case the HD650 can scale higher. But unless you already have that in place, you sorta have to look at the HD650 as the gateway to another $450+ investment, if you want to 'best' the fidelio sound. They're still great headphones, but they're more of a window than a final answer.

Well put.  If you want something that will sound great with what you already have, the X2.  If you want something that will sound even better with just the right setup, the HD650.

EDIT - Almost forgot!  IMO, YMMV, etc.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #14,373 of 35,338

Excellent options from those interested in gateway and one step above gateway audiophile music by vinyl--

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge from Massdrop for $319:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pro-ject-debut-carbon

Next step up--the "like new" (probably unopened box) Pro-Ject - 1Xpression Carbon Classic Turntable - with Ortofon 2M Silver Cartridge - Olive Wood from a very highly rated authorized dealer through Amazon for $649:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00H2DLP34

The street price of this unit has been somewhere around the $325 mark for awhile. This is for the older (non DC) version. Massdrop doesn't specify this and after shipping you're at the $330 mark while having to wait a lengthy time to receive.  The next step up would be their Debut Carbon DC Esprit and DC Esprit SB models. Here is a good rbeakdown from turntablelab on what those differences are.
http://turntablelab.com/pages/the-difference-between-pro-ject-debut-carbon-debut-and-carbon-dc-turntables  

I've only seen B stock at (or very close to) the $319 price point.  See:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-309041-pro-ject-debut-carbon-turntable-blue-b-stock.aspx

The other turntables you mention are, like the one offered by Massdrop, different models within Pro-ject's Debut line.  The Xpression is in their Classic line, which is the next step up.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #14,374 of 35,338

The HD650 is a nice headphone and can sound great with the right setup.  But it's kind of a niche sound IMO.  I find the X2 to be a better all-around headphone.

I actually think the opposite. I felt the X1 and X2 was similar to the HE-400 in that they really excel at a few genres, but aren't the best choice for the rest.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #14,375 of 35,338
  I hate when people use the word BEST no such thing in audio. Its all subjective.

Indeed, especially how sound is different with every model.
No audio company tries to go for the same sound.

I have to agree with Axel and Stillhart here. The X2 will give you better sound in most cases... unless you have really high-end upstream gear or a sweet sounding OTL tube amp, in which case the HD650 can scale higher. But unless you already have that in place, you sorta have to look at the HD650 as the gateway to another $450+ investment, if you want to 'best' the fidelio sound. They're still great headphones, but they're more of a window than a final answer.

I see it this way.
When you invest in more expensive headphones, you fork out a lot more to change to sound with equipment.

Though you can do it with all devices. $200+ sometimes just sound good out the box.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #14,376 of 35,338
Its me again; the British Beyer fan

The price of Tesla Beyerdynamics on Amazon (UK) is increasingly tempting:  T70  £269,  T90  £287.  

Not a lot more than DT880 Premiums (£218, 600 ohm). Crazy really.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #14,380 of 35,338
  XLR Male to XLR Female cables...any recommendations that aren't stupid expensive.  Short (say a foot or foot and a half) better than longer.

I see Monoprice has them.

Thanks.

HS

I use Blue Jeans Cables XLR interconnects and like them very much. Pricier than MonoPrice but not silly expensive either.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #14,384 of 35,338
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #14,385 of 35,338
  XLR Male to XLR Female cables...any recommendations that aren't stupid expensive.  Short (say a foot or foot and a half) better than longer.

I see Monoprice has them.

Thanks.

HS

I grabbed a set from Monoprice recently and I'm very happy with the quality.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back