The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #10,849 of 35,338
I see the 120gb models are much more inexpensive at ~$60. I think that's what the Kingston and Crucial 250gb were going for. I'm in need of a hdd for my laptop and thinking that I can get away with 120gb and use an esata adapter for a 500gb external drive (non-ssd ).

Are Kingston, Crucial, Intel reliably ssd brands?
It really depends on the brand. I've seen some drop to like $70 while samsung 840 EVO was around $110

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #10,850 of 35,338
  Do any of you guys remember the price of the 250GB SSD hard drives posted during Black Friday? I'm shopping for one and looking for what's a good deal on them. Doesn't necessarily have to be 250gb but it'd be nice, 120GB will work as well.

Newegg has a 240GB Crucial for $89.99 and $1.99 shipping.  This is an M500 which I believe gets good reviews for longevity.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #10,851 of 35,338
Intel and Samsung are the best.  Crucial is a close second.  Kingston has experience numerous issues with their SSDs.  I had a problem with using them in a NAS solution due to how they confirm writes.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #10,852 of 35,338
I see the 120gb models are much more inexpensive at ~$60. I think that's what the Kingston and Crucial 250gb were going for. I'm in need of a hdd for my laptop and thinking that I can get away with 120gb and use an esata adapter for a 500gb external drive (non-ssd ).

Are Kingston, Crucial, Intel reliably ssd brands?

The 240GB Crucial M500 went down to ~$73 I believe. I bought one shortly after for $80 to replace my desktop hard drive. I had the 120GB model in my netbook for seven months and it's been rock solid, and the increase in the desktop's performance after installing the SSD was quite impressive. But you don't have to take my word for it. Plenty of reviews out there.

The Intels should be reliable as well, though usually they cost a bit more. The Kingston drives seem to be the luck of the draw based on reviews; some drives seem to perform better than others since the company sources flash memory from more than one supplier.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #10,853 of 35,338
  Newegg has a 240GB Crucial for $89.99 and $1.99 shipping.  This is an M500 which I believe gets good reviews for longevity.

It's $99 plus $2 shipping, not bad. Probably what I'd go for if I went with a 240-250gb.

Intel and Samsung are the best.  Crucial is a close second.  Kingston has experience numerous issues with their SSDs.  I had a problem with using them in a NAS solution due to how they confirm writes.

The 240GB Crucial M500 went down to ~$73 I believe. I bought one shortly after for $80 to replace my desktop hard drive. I had the 120GB model in my netbook for seven months and it's been rock solid, and the increase in the desktop's performance after installing the SSD was quite impressive. But you don't have to take my word for it. Plenty of reviews out there.

The Intels should be reliable as well, though usually they cost a bit more. The Kingston drives seem to be the luck of the draw based on reviews; some drives seem to perform better than others since the company sources flash memory from more than one supplier.

I almost pulled the trigger even if I had no need for it at the time during the BF. I think it was $73 for the M500 240 and $55 for 250gb Kingston.

Amazon has the Intel 120gb model for $63 which is way below the size to price ratio on their other models. I might go for them since they seem to be a premium brand for SSDs and have good reviews. I'm just wondering if I'll be sitting there in the future when I go portable and not have my eSATA and my 120GB is nearly full going "shoulda got that 240", which is super easy to do.. I suppose I can also keep a 64GB SD plugged in, which I have an extra of sitting around.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #10,854 of 35,338
Definitely get the bigger one IMO.  Keep the important stuff backed up like with any hard drive and the brand differences become negligible.

Day 20 is up and it looks like it's some Mozart if you want to test the differences between HD and CD.

Track:Requiem in D minor, K. 626 - I. Requiem aeternam
Album:Mozart: Requiem
Artist:Dunedin Consort

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #10,855 of 35,338

The Crucial M500 is a solid drive. I have had four of them in my NAS for over a year with no issues.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #10,856 of 35,338
I think Intel drives are just plain overpriced. If you're gonna go with Kingston, go with the HyperX 3K. I think you should just go whatever is on sale, as long as the brand actually makes their own SSDs (Intel, Crucial/Micron, Samsung, OCZ/Toshiba, ADATA, Kingston etc.) and not rebrands (Corsair, AMD, etc).

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #10,857 of 35,338
The prices on most SSDs right now are being the standard. BF was the day of a better deal for an SSD. I would advise not to shop for SSDs right now until after New Years. This happend last year as well, when usually alot of stores try to push out the last of their inventory, mainly because the new stuff comes in around March...

I mean if u find a Crucial MX100 256GB for 85 bucks, thats a deal. I would even consider OCZ for an SSD, eapecially since they are now own by Toshiba and their quality has gone up again.

I got a OCZ Vector 150 240GB for 85 bucks as well as 2 Corsair LED fans, just by using the paypal discount at tiger direct.

If you get charge tax from Amazon and Newegg, tigerdirect is an option but a last resort, since they seem to raise prices whenever they run promos, although they do have great deals from time to time.

Its just a matter of you not being lazy and actually doing alot of research and seeing which stores may offer better options for you just as well as pricing.

Also dont forget to get shoprunner trial for 30 days...before the 30 day trial, you can cancel and they will give you 3 more months free of shoprunner and if you purchase 3 items and use shoprunner within those 3 months, you get 1 year free of shoprunner. If you ask me, it comes in handy, especially if you need to return something since its free.

Now, back to SSDs, if you want every bit of performance available, you will probably not pay 100 bucks for a samsung 840 pro or even a sandisk extreme 2 (which i have read have been pretty good for the price, just one step below the 840 Pro)

But ask yourself, will you see a diference between a mx100 and a 840 pro? Real life situations, probably not. Thats because most benchmarks measure performance differently than just the ordinary timing windows boot up.

I load up BF4 pretty quickly with my OCZ Vector 150 and Windows starts up in like 8 seconds or so and shuts down in about the same time as well.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #10,858 of 35,338
Anyone knows about the Sennheiser CX 890? It's on sale for $49.99 but I can't find good information about it.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_58545/Sennheiser-CX-890I-in-Ear-Earphones.html

Coupon code: FP897X

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #10,859 of 35,338
The prices on most SSDs right now are being the standard. BF was the day of a better deal for an SSD. I would advise not to shop for SSDs right now until after New Years. This happend last year as well, when usually alot of stores try to push out the last of their inventory, mainly because the new stuff comes in around March...

I mean if u find a Crucial MX100 256GB for 85 bucks, thats a deal. I would even consider OCZ for an SSD, eapecially since they are now own by Toshiba and their quality has gone up again.

But ask yourself, will you see a diference between a mx100 and a 840 pro? Real life situations, probably not. Thats because most benchmarks measure performance differently than just the ordinary timing windows boot up.

I load up BF4 pretty quickly with my OCZ Vector 150 and Windows starts up in like 8 seconds or so and shuts down in about the same time as well.

Really the thought of a SSD reliability is more of what I'm after. Event he slowest (but reliable) SSD will be more than sufficient considering I'll be going from a standard 5400RPM 2.5". I think I will go for one of the choices in Amazon but that's sold and shipped by Amazon as well.

A little trick that never gets out is if it's sold and shipped by Amazon, they offer a 30-day price match if they drop the prices themselves. So...if there's a sale to be had AFTER January and it's by Amazon, you can pop up a chat with their customer support and usually they'll give you a store credit for the difference OR partial if they can't do a full match. I've done this multiple times. They used to have a secret 1800 number to do this (not sure if it's much of a secret but a highly unpublished 800 number) that you can call in to price match if the prices drop in 30 days, that number no longer exists and it can only be done by chat now. Again, it has to be sold and shipped by Amazon and can't be a 3rd party seller (even if it's fulfilled by Amazon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back