The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #8,851 of 35,373
I just got my HD-650's on the amazon deal and upon unpacking them I noticed the box was different and the case was black instead of grey like all of the YouTube unboxing videos you see of them.Is there any significance to this?

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #8,853 of 35,373

I've been hawking that site in search of an amp that will handle 600 Ohms gracefully, which I suspect that funster the U100 does not.  So far, my furtive stalking has revealed nada, zilch -- with the possible exception of the Centrance M8.  Here's groping that Massdrop establishes a relationship with Violectric. 

Until then, I'll be wearing different colored raincoats every time I log on so they don't glean it's me.

i don't need such a powerful amp. my headphones are soundmagic hp100 , they're 32R, not the most sensitive though (95db at 1Khz/mw), and they scale up well to amping. my current source is my laptop / LG G2 cellphone , and i'm using smsl sap-5 amp (50$ portable amp).. i'm looking for a decent amp/dac for ~100$ , but with such discount i'm thinking about stretching my budget and get something that's supposed to be noticeably better.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #8,854 of 35,373

i don't need such a powerful amp. my headphones are soundmagic hp100 , they're 32R, not the most sensitive though (95db at 1Khz/mw), and they scale up well to amping. my current source is my laptop / LG G2 cellphone , and i'm using smsl sap-5 amp (50$ portable amp).. i'm looking for a decent amp/dac for ~100$ , but with such discount i'm thinking about stretching my budget and get something that's supposed to be noticeably better.

I've been using my HP100 with an Audioengine D3 at work for months and it's got PLENTY of power.  I usually have my volume at like 5%.  You don't need a crazy amp for these, just a nice clean DAC.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #8,855 of 35,373

I've been using my HP100 with an Audioengine D3 at work for months and it's got PLENTY of power.  I usually have my volume at like 5%.  You don't need a crazy amp for these, just a nice clean DAC.

well yeah i agree (and i know that). both my laptop and my cellphone can drive them more than loud enough, but the (relatively cheap) am i have improved the sound noticeably, and i was thinking to get a good dac (i was leaning towards modi) to pair with the amp i have, until i read in the HP100's thread that better amps (not necessarily expensive) do make a difference , and now i came across this drop so it got my interest. do you think i should get the modi and pass on this drop since the amp is too powerful for the HP100s ? is there anything in this price range that you recommend ?

thanks for your reply :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #8,857 of 35,373

well yeah i agree (and i know that). both my laptop and my cellphone can drive them more than loud enough, but the (relatively cheap) am i have improved the sound noticeably, and i was thinking to get a good dac (i was leaning towards modi) to pair with the amp i have, until i read in the HP100's thread that better amps (not necessarily expensive) do make a difference , and now i came across this drop so it got my interest. do you think i should get the modi and pass on this drop since the amp is too powerful for the HP100s ? is there anything in this price range that you recommend ?

thanks for your reply :)

I am not a fan of the Modi.  My Sound Blaster Omni sounded exactly the same and cost like 30% less, so I returned the Modi.  I'd recommend just getting one of the nice USB DAC's like the Audioengine D3, HRT Microstreamer, AudioQuest Dragonfly, etc.  The last D3 drop was like $120.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #8,861 of 35,373
Nov 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #8,863 of 35,373

Seems like their business is going so well after the Wizard left and being oust from headfi... They readjusted their pricing and their BF discount is even more! 

Wow. I have the Heir 8.0 and it was outstanding.  For $699 it is probably the best universal IEM deal out there.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #8,864 of 35,373

Seems like their business is going so well after the Wizard left and being oust from headfi... They readjusted their pricing and their BF discount is even more! 

Wow. I have the Heir 8.0 and it was outstanding.  For $699 it is probably the best universal IEM deal out there.

Outstanding for what?
can you please do an mini compare against SE846 you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back