The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7,741 of 35,333
Some people would say you should also look at the fidue a83 which is at $279 on AMZ
I am kicking myself all morning for spending time to do research on Weston's W40 vs. Shure SE535LTD. The W40 was available on Amazon for $350 new.

Getting very good reviews. I ordered one, Amazon emailed that it shipped today so probably have it by Monday.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #7,744 of 35,333
I don't have them yet. Just got the email that they shipped from Amazon today, so should be Monday (sometimes even get Sunday deliveries, but I'm figuring Monday more likely). I'll post when they come, they certainly have been compared favorably to the best iem's out there. I don't have the Shure 535 to compare, sorry. Do have many too many, including the UE900's, and too many others to list completely (and too many for my financial health). Quick list includes Westone 3, 4 and 40, JVC 850, Sony XBA-3 and H3, Dunu ik, ATH-IM70 and the old AT 1K, FAD Heaven V, Triple fi 10 and UE700, Doppio and Tenore, Earsonic SM64, Ety ER4P, and other assorted junk (haven't updated my profile in a while). Need to have a fire sale one of these days. As for the UE900, so far, haven't grabbed me, a bit flat to my ears, lacking some sort of "oomph", but, as you can see, they probably don't get enough ear time to really give them a fair shake.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #7,745 of 35,333
I don't have them yet. Just got the email that they shipped from Amazon today, so should be Monday (sometimes even get Sunday deliveries, but I'm figuring Monday more likely). I'll post when they come, they certainly have been compared favorably to the best iem's out there. I don't have the Shure 535 to compare, sorry. Do have many too many, including the UE900's, and too many others to list completely (and too many for my financial health). Quick list includes Westone 3, 4 and 40, JVC 850, Sony XBA-3 and H3, Dunu ik, ATH-IM70 and the old AT 1K, FAD Heaven V, Triple fi 10 and UE700, Doppio and Tenore, Earsonic SM64, Ety ER4P, and other assorted junk (haven't updated my profile in a while). Need to have a fire sale one of these days. As for the UE900, so far, haven't grabbed me, a bit flat to my ears, lacking some sort of "oomph", but, as you can see, they probably don't get enough ear time to really give them a fair shake.

This probably a tough question to answer, but which of your iem's is your favorite? If you have to resort to a different one for a different situation, that's ok. Knowing you music preference would also be helpful.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #7,746 of 35,333
Yeah, it is a difficult question to answer, often depends on my mood. the SM64 is in pretty heavy rotation-find the SM64 nice, detailed, but basslight. Sony pretty nice balance sonically, really good bass, bit of a pain to wear, same goes for the JVC, odd shape, not that comfortable, tremendous at tonal color, almost TOO tremendous, feels hyperreal at times, great bass. Have runs when I go with the FAD, IM70 (awful case, constantly losing them). ER4P is an oldie but a goodie, great, balanced sound, a bit of BA bass (sl weak), but with a good seal not bad, the best isolating iem's I have. Tenore the opposite of JVC in tone color, blanches things a bit, never feel like I get a good fit with the Doppio. Westones I really like, get a better fit from the 3 and 4 than from the 40 (but, someone with different ear shape may find the opposite). Have times when I still pull out the Triple fi 10...I used to think it was the worst fitting/oddest shape iem ever, but so many odder/harder to fit iems have come out since, it now feels almost conventional shaped.
Music...really a music junkie, like pretty much everything, but, if you clock what I actually have playing most often, it would be indie pop/pop-punk (or power pop as they used to call it), and all genres of jazz.
This help at all? I basically find fault with them all at some point, or get bored with the sound sig, and think of them as "flavors" in the way they present the music. Vanilla isn't better than strawberry, you may want one more often, but sometimes it's nice to change up with the other.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #7,747 of 35,333
Doctorjazz, interesting .......thanks. I'll be waiting for when you can give your impression of the fidue a83 and 
compare them with your other iems. I've got them in my Amazon cart waiting for a price decrease to  push me over the edge. Of course, a strong positive review may speed up the process!

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7,748 of 35,333
Cool, I'll try to do my best to put them in context.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #7,749 of 35,333
this is offtopic, but from my understanding the x2 isnt a true upgrade but more a sidegrade in terms of sound signature from reviewers on its appreciation thread. kinda silly spending more $$ for the newest thing esp for dynamic dricer headphines that have no dramatic revolutions n tech recently. imo.

Right, headphones are gaining in popularity, but they aren't going outdated or devaluating like computers and smartphones. The manufacturers would LOVE to have people buying new gear yearly, but without new science (or no-cost, all-out efforts) the best the HP manufacturers can manage in a year is tonal tweaking and color scheme changes.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #7,750 of 35,333
Fidue just arrived (Sunday delivery...that's why Amazon will someday take over the world, or at least own it). Feel like I want to call to my Fidue, "here boy, come to Papa"! Anyway, busy day, likely won't get to the Fidue until tonight or later, then burn in, etc, will report back.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #7,754 of 35,333

It's been in closeout mode for almost a year.  Perhaps a retailer or two will use Black Friday discounts to move its remaining stock.

That's what I thought. I'm shipping my HE-400's to a friend in anticipation of sales. It's a dark time until the end of the month.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #7,755 of 35,333
Don't know if anyone has a Microcenter near them - but I just got a 2014 LG LED TV for cheap. 55LB6000 - 55" HDTV 120hz for $499 - They don't show them on their website - but damn - Amazon has them for $899 and Fry's for $999... (also have the 50" - 50LB6000 for $449)

It isn't a headphone - but it is a deal - most stores have them, but resellers snatch them up quick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back