The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #30,856 of 35,319
I continue to be baffled how anyone likes the SE425. I have about 30 IEMs in a wide range of prices from $20 to $2000, and every other IEM I own is better in sound than the SE425. There is so little bass, every time I used them I wondered if they were defective - but nope, that's what they sound like.

I'm tempted again to get them out and try them with the BT2 (which I also own). But every time I give them another chance, I'm quickly reminded of why they're unusable.

Sorry to cr*p on your deal, but I feel like potential buyers should be warned to look before they leap on these.
this kind of feedback is valuable.
I recently got a Fiio M9 for $250...seemed like a good deal on a nice mid fi dap...turns out nobody bothered to mention it put's out less power than their $70 A3 amp (which I happen to own)...so this neat little streaming hifi gadget can't make the very low ohm/highly sensitive Fidelio L2 sound...loud, at all.
would have been nice if someone mentioned that along with what a great deal this DAP is...which reminds me....
side note, I wound up buying the Hiby R5...which caused me to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Fidelio X3 for $200 on Amazon....so thanks for that, stupid Deals thread.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #30,857 of 35,319
I got the R5 to compare...and it has balanced output, the same as the Fiio M9, which people said actually sounded good when you used balanced....so, obviously I needed a balanced headphone to compare them...and then I remembered the X3 comes with balanced cables, zip zap zop, this is all your fault.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #30,858 of 35,319
FIIO BTR3K is usually 70$, but you can have it on 11.11 for just 58$!

Best Bluetooth adapter I have, despite the heavy competition:

See my BTR3K review here for the discounted price link: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...bluetooth-amp.24317/reviews#item-review-24719

1605094941047.png

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #30,859 of 35,319
I continue to be baffled how anyone likes the SE425. I have about 30 IEMs in a wide range of prices from $20 to $2000, and every other IEM I own is better in sound than the SE425. There is so little bass, every time I used them I wondered if they were defective - but nope, that's what they sound like.

I'm tempted again to get them out and try them with the BT2 (which I also own). But every time I give them another chance, I'm quickly reminded of why they're unusable.

Sorry to cr*p on your deal, but I feel like potential buyers should be warned to look before they leap on these.
Yep, everybody hears differently. Would always encourage others to read multiple reviews and purchase from a place that allows returns...and for iems, experiment with eartips to get a solid fit.

Based on what I read, these seem to have a balanced sound with good clarity (not for bassheads for sure).

As several Head-Fiers discussed in this thread (yourself included) -- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se425-sound-terrible.881533/page-2 --

some love 'em...like Brooko & Colors

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've owned the SE420, 315, 425 and 535SE. Of those - the best sounding for my tastes was the SE425. Very neutral - just lacking a bit in sub-bass, and could use a little more lower treble (easy to EQ). Lovely mid-range though.

I've often considered buying another pair. Its rare to get such an uncoloured IEM nowadays.
I'm telling you guys. The Shure SE425 are great mid-centric (vocals) IEM. I've listened to the 846 before and I actually prefer the 425 to it because there's a lot of IEMs that do what the 846 does but not very many 425-like IEMs.

The vocals on it are very clear, clean and realistic. If you're a vocals lover, it's definitely a recommended IEM. The comfort and isolation are also great (standard Shure).

If you like bassy, balanced or v-shaped IEM for genres like pop, EDM, rap, trance, etc, it may not be your cup of tea but if you like to just relax to the sound of vocals, it's perfect. I've listened to the Legend X, N5005, Andromeda, Xelento, Bravado and I still think of the SE425 sometimes because of what it gives for the price point.

Some don't...like you & PhillyD

My new Shure SE425 sound awful. I just got them yesterday and have probably put in 8+ hours already. I just can't stand how they sound. The bass is extremely lacking compared to the SE215's I had. The mid range is not just forward but also sounds extremely unnatural. The treble is not particularly clear and it's laid back. They just sound bad. I've tried my LG V30, an iBasso D-Zero, my HiFimeDIY Sabre Optical Dac > Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL MKIII tube amp and my friend's Fostex HPA4.

Has anyone had experience with this? They are brand new, but I hear IEM's really don't need any burn in. I have tried all kinds of music and the source quality is fine. I side-by-sided them with my SE215's and while there is an improvement in mid-range clarity nothing else sounds as nice on the SE425.

I think I will return them and try the SE315.

FWIW, if they end up being a tad bass-lite for some genres, I expect they'll EQ well. If they're the POS you say they are, I'll return them :wink:

Additional reviews
https://www.whathifi.com/us/shure/se425/review
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/shure-se425-review/
https://www.headphones.sg/blog/shure-se425-review/
https://soundreview.org/audio/shure-se425-earphones-review/
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shure-se425
https://toomanyadapters.com/review-shure-se425-earphones/

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #30,861 of 35,319
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #30,862 of 35,319
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #30,863 of 35,319
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #30,864 of 35,319
Quite a collection!!! :scream:
It's only a part of it (most of it), the ones I have at my office.

Ironically, I have multiple copies of some of the ones in the picture:
I own three ES100s - two are dead, and the third one (MK2) is dying right now. None of them survived even a year...
Shanling UP2 got unglued 3 months after purchase, bought another one because I really didn't like UP4 sound...
BTR3 clip has broke (my fault), so I bought another one - only to see a week later BTR3K coming out :jecklinsmile:

BTR3K is really a unique device - to provide the same amazing SQ over both types of connection at this price point is a great achievement.
I have plenty regular DAC/Amps, that don't sound nearly as good, regardless of their much higher price.

I am especially blown away by the quality of the bass - how can it beat the big brother BTR5, which has more power?
Magic, pure magic.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #30,866 of 35,319
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #30,868 of 35,319
It's only a part of it (most of it), the ones I have at my office.

Ironically, I have multiple copies of some of the ones in the picture:
I own three ES100s - two are dead, and the third one (MK2) is dying right now. None of them survived even a year...
Shanling UP2 got unglued 3 months after purchase, bought another one because I really didn't like UP4 sound...
BTR3 clip has broke (my fault), so I bought another one - only to see a week later BTR3K coming out :jecklinsmile:

BTR3K is really a unique device - to provide the same amazing SQ over both types of connection at this price point is a great achievement.
I have plenty regular DAC/Amps, that don't sound nearly as good, regardless of their much higher price.

I am especially blown away by the quality of the bass - how can it beat the big brother BTR5, which has more power?
Magic, pure magic.
I switched to the BTR3K after my ES100 (mk1) kept disconnecting/reconnecting to my devices, even when in a static position right next to them. The would vary from multiple times per minute, or not at all within a session. I was just outside of their warranty timeframe, so the only option support could offer was to factory reset it (which didn't help). Was looking for another receiver with 2.5mm, and was originally going to go with the BTR5, but saw that the 3K was just released. Very impressive device indeed!

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #30,870 of 35,319

Could be best for gamers and augmented reality where you don't want to be tethered down. I saw Apple do 3D Galaga AR game. Now if they included imaging into the game then headfi community might have something to say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back