The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 1, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #27,871 of 35,332
and I guess people are buying it(including me). We now see "Only 20 left in stock (more on the way)." lol
It's supposedly not being made anymore

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #27,872 of 35,332
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #27,875 of 35,332
Bottlehead is having a Birthday sale on their Crack amp. Here is a direct quote from their forum about this sale:

If you have been patiently waiting for a Crack Headphone Amp kit sale, you only have to wait a little bit longer! Crack's birthday is in March and starting this Friday, March 1st, thru Friday, March 8th the Crack headphone amp kit for high impedance headphones will be on sale for $215 ($100 off the regular price) and the Speedball upgrade kit will be on sale for $100 ($25 off the regular price).
We get requests all the time for a sale on our best selling product. The reality is we can't afford to offer prices this low on a regular basis. So it behooves one to take advantage when they do happen! These kits will be made to order and we estimate that shipment will begin about four weeks from the end of the sale. The volume of parts we have to order can throw our suppliers off, so be advised that it might take up to eight weeks for the last kits ordered to ship. We ship kits in the order that we receive your purchases. So the earlier in the sale you order, the sooner your kit will ship. Online orders only.

We also know that we will get emails asking when this kit will be on sale again. The answer to that is - we don't know when, or if, the next sale will be. So be sure to take advantage of this one.
Oh, and one last thing - we know we will see a few cancellations by people whose enthusiasm may have exceeded their budget. That is understandable, but please be advised that if the assembly manual PDF is downloaded before you cancel the order we can only refund the purchase price less $15 for the manual.

SOURCE: https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=11408.0

https://bottlehead.com/?product=crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #27,876 of 35,332
Anybody aware of any deals on a USB turnable that would facilitate recording from turntable to computer? And I would imagine that would require some type of software? I have a gazillion albums I haven't listened to forever. It would be nice to have them as files on my hard drive. :dt880smile:

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #27,877 of 35,332
Anybody aware of any deals on a USB turnable that would facilitate recording from turntable to computer? And I would imagine that would require some type of software? I have a gazillion albums I haven't listened to forever. It would be nice to have them as files on my hard drive. :dt880smile:

This is what I used:

ART USB Phono Plus

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BBGCCI/

It allowed me to use my existing (nice) turntable with nice cartridge etc, instead of compromising with a mediocre turntable that had built in USB functionality.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #27,878 of 35,332
This is what I used:

ART USB Phono Plus

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BBGCCI/

It allowed me to use my existing (nice) turntable with nice cartridge etc, instead of compromising with a mediocre turntable that had built in USB functionality.

Great idea! Does it come with an app as well? And do you know of a resource like "Ripping vinyl to computer for dummies"? :wink:
I would imagine you would have to somehow manually input all tagging info...
Sounds like a lot of work...

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #27,879 of 35,332
Great idea! Does it come with an app as well? And do you know of a resource like "Ripping vinyl to computer for dummies"? :wink:
I would imagine you would have to somehow manually input all tagging info...
Sounds like a lot of work...

It did come with an app, but it was a few years ago so I don’t know if the app works with Windows 10 or Mac.

You can also use Audacity, which is open source and has all sorts of plugins. There’s excellent documentation on Audacity's website, and it is easy and fairly intuitive to use.

And yes, it is a lot of work. Luckily, you only have to do it once and never again. So the work is well worth the effort, as once it’s done you can digitally enjoy your vinyl collection for years to come.

Also, once the music is converted to digital format there are many tools you can use to clean up and edit the tags. Some have databases that pull everything in, others don’t. Most can do batch changes to hundreds or thousands of files at a time. I use a couple of different tag management programs.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #27,880 of 35,332
It did come with an app, but it was a few years ago so I don’t know if the app works with Windows 10 or Mac.

You can also use Audacity, which is open source and has all sorts of plugins. There’s excellent documentation on Audacity's website, and it is easy and fairly intuitive to use.

And yes, it is a lot of work. Luckily, you only have to do it once and never again. So the work is well worth the effort, as once it’s done you can digitally enjoy your vinyl collection for years to come.

Also, once the music is converted to digital format there are many tools you can use to clean up and edit the tags. Some have databases that pull everything in, others don’t. Most can do batch changes to hundreds or thousands of files at a time. I use a couple of different tag management programs.

Thanks for that! Now I just need to get off my butt and do it!

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #27,884 of 35,332

Users who are viewing this thread

Back