The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #26,480 of 35,316
Looks like I need to get a job for sennheiser lol :wink:
Sorry, you would be rejected as a new hire because you didn't say

Sounds like I need to get a job for Sennheiser! :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #26,481 of 35,316
MASSDROP Cardas Premium Clear Light Headphone Cables
$134.99

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cardas-premium-clear-light-headphone-cables

This looks like a good deal.
Banner_20171130095255.jpg
Anyone got any experience with those cables? I am tempted getting one for my Cascade...

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #26,485 of 35,316
Anyone got any experience with those cables? I am tempted getting one for my Cascade...

The gauge size is a little small for planar magnetic ... 25.5awg. I'd recommend at least 24. Also be careful with the Cardas 1/4" if you are using a Neutrik locking plug, it's a little small in diameter so (in my experience) you can get some noise from the loose connection. Good price for the HD800 cable though, as those connectors are expensive.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #26,486 of 35,316
The gauge size is a little small for planar magnetic ... 25.5awg. I'd recommend at least 24. Also be careful with the Cardas 1/4" if you are using a Neutrik locking plug, it's a little small in diameter so (in my experience) you can get some noise from the loose connection. Good price for the HD800 cable though, as those connectors are expensive.
For reference, the stock DUM cable for the MrSpeakers Ether series uses 24 AWG conductors, while the stock DUMMER cable for the ÆON series uses 26 AWG conductors. Both are planar magnetic.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #26,487 of 35,316
For reference, the stock DUM cable for the MrSpeakers Ether series uses 24 AWG conductors, while the stock DUMMER cable for the ÆON series uses 26 AWG conductors. Both are planar magnetic.
I appreciate your follow up Alcophone, I still maintain my previous recommendation though. You can get away with 26 gauge for planar magnetic just like you can get away with 18 gauge for speakers and power cables, but most audio enthusiasts prefer heavier gauges... at least the ones I've met. 24AWG can handle nearly twice the wattage of 26AWG and is almost half the resistance, 0.26R vs 0.41R over ten feet. Sure, not a huge deal, but why compromise when you're spending $250 on a cable?

I've been building cables for about 15 years now, just sharing my personal recommendations. I'd be happy to continue this discussion via PM if you'd like... would rather not have this thread go OT :wink: Thanks!

For a deal for low cost editing/mastering: Buydig.com has Mackie CR3 3" 50W Reference Multimedia Monitor Speakers (Pair) + Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor Headphones for $127 when you apply coupon code LISTEN. Shipping is free.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #26,488 of 35,316
I appreciate your follow up Alcophone, I still maintain my previous recommendation though. You can get away with 26 gauge for planar magnetic just like you can get away with 18 gauge for speakers and power cables, but most audio enthusiasts prefer heavier gauges... at least the ones I've met. 24AWG can handle nearly twice the wattage of 26AWG and is almost half the resistance, 0.26R vs 0.41R over ten feet. Sure, not a huge deal, but why compromise when you're spending $250 on a cable?

I've been building cables for about 15 years now, just sharing my personal recommendations. I'd be happy to continue this discussion via PM if you'd like... would rather not have this thread go OT :wink: Thanks!

For a deal for low cost editing/mastering: Buydig.com has Mackie CR3 3" 50W Reference Multimedia Monitor Speakers (Pair) + Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor Headphones for $127 when you apply coupon code LISTEN. Shipping is free.
Oh, I just wanted to provide it as a reference. Personally, I use a Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver, i.e. 20 conductors with 28 AWG silver, the equivalent of four 21 AWG conductors.

If you like thick wires, stay away from Nordost.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #26,489 of 35,316
After 3 and a half years, we're end-of-lifing our ETHER and ETHER C headphones. Here's your chance to save big on the few units left in stock, only $999.99!

These are new in box headphones. Quantities are VERY limited.

Units purchased at this special price are not eligible for Flow upgrades.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #26,490 of 35,316

Users who are viewing this thread

Back