The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 22, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #23,011 of 35,332
  It's a scam.
Note how XTV-ONLINE-VP is a jewelry store (West Coast Jewelry).
Also, the description of the listing when you navigate to all offers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00UW0FZWQ/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new) is:

Definitely a scam. I followed up on something like this via Amazon for a Denon AVR unit and they wanted you to contact them before ordering (seller was call before ordering at some number...). They then direct you to an webpage outside of Amazon and tell you to enter you information. The webpage looks semi official, even has an Amazon Marketplace logo in the header area. I emailed the seller before entering personal information requested on the webpage and their explanation was that they wanted you to place the order through them so that they could get you this great price using Amazon credits they have. To be clear, they were placing the order on your behalf. I called Amazon and they essentially said anyone can register to sell via Amazon and this particular seller didn't have a history so they could not determine if they were legitimate. What they advised is that if you find a seller on Amazon, place your order through Amazon so that you're money is protected by the Amazon guarantee. I'm sure this is all fairly obvious advice, but anything to get the message out to Amazon shoppers I think is helpful, because someone less knowledgeable might be dupped with the Amazon starting point, forwarded to a webpage with a semi-official looking Amazon and just happen to believe this great deal. I didn't fill out the semi official webpage so I don't know steps from this point forward, but what I would say is that beware even sellers on Amazon if you get redirected. It's unfortunate because it's one more detail to concern yourself and to boot, when I informed the Amazon customer service rep of the Amazon Marketplace on a non-Amazon website, they barely cared.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #23,013 of 35,332

​IE800 is too v shape. Too much bass and too harsh sometimes.

It's funny how we hear things differently.  I think the IE800 bass is nice and tight and just the right amount.  I find the M200's have more mid bass and the treble to be rolled off just a tad too much.  However I do enjoy both but because of the fit I can only wear the M200's for about 30 minutes to an hour max.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #23,014 of 35,332
  It's funny how we hear things differently.  I think the IE800 bass is nice and tight and just the right amount.  I find the M200's have more mid bass and the treble to be rolled off just a tad too much.  However I do enjoy both but because of the fit I can only wear the M200's for about 30 minutes to an hour max.

Yeah, of course, people's hearing are very different!
biggrin.gif

I used to listen to IE80, I think I was trained by 80 to get used to midbass. Maybe because of subbass of 800, I just feel like a background of buzzing. Sometimes I almost cannot endure it harshness. But that might due to recording quality since it's not always a problem.
Though IE800 is great for analytical listening, M200 is better for enjoying music.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #23,015 of 35,332

How good of a deal is $260 for Oppo PM3? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UW0FZWQ

It's a scam.
Note how XTV-ONLINE-VP is a jewelry store (West Coast Jewelry).
Also, the description of the listing when you navigate to all offers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00UW0FZWQ/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new) is:
 NEW***BEFORE ORDERING***CONTACT US: US-B00UW0FZWQ/@xtv-online.com***Thanks

Repeating a post I made a bit more than a month ago during the Black Friday season:

As the (ever growing) Black Friday period has apparently begun, I want to remind our not-so-regular visitors to this thread of the many fraudulent third party sellers on Amazon.  Indeed during recent days there seems to be an uptick to their already large numbers. 

Assume that any deal that is "too good to be true" probably is just that.  Do not deal with any third party seller that wants to communicate with you outside the Amazon communication system.  Stay away from their private email addresses.  Most, but not all, of these fraud merchants, are "just launched" sellers. Also--never "pay" by transferring an Amazon gift card to the seller for its future use.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #23,017 of 35,332
Looks like the Sennheiser IE80s have dropped back down to black Friday prices at $179.99 on Amazon.

Sold directly from Amazon, so prime works and it's an authorized retailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N8W27I

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #23,018 of 35,332
Boys, this might not apply to all of you.
But, it's definitely a deal !

Check out my good friend Matthew, who's volunteering to give away a $50 gift via B&H.

We are doing two winners!

Hurry before winners are picked.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/829778/50-b-h-photo-video-gift-card-updated

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #23,024 of 35,332
I went to a store and tried the Utopia out of the Simaudio 430HA and compared it against the HE-6 out of the same amp. The guy at the store almost didnt want me to try the Utopia saying they had not been completely broken in and that he doesnt want me to not be impressed with them? :/

Upon asking he said theyve been broken in for 2 days but he went on to say they need two weeks etc. I insisted saying that I know the Utopia gets sufficiently there with 40-50 hrs, but he seemed to know it all apparently. In the end if I am listening to these or not, he said ok go ahead and try it.

Against the HE-6 my impressions were:

-The HE-6 extended lower and the bass hit slightly harder, but the Utopia is no slouch (looking at you HD800)
-The mids on the Utopia were just simply better ans felt more real
-The highs on the HE-6 had a bit more energy up top, which I really liked
-The microdetailing and layering on the Utopia is extremely good, where I think my HE-6 wasnt doing as good. The sound stage also was maybe a bit better on the Utopia but they almost sounded similar to me there because the music I listen to does not utilise wide soundstages anyway.
-The Utopia felt like a complete sound spectrum, with nothing sticking out and just working perfectly in harmony where the HE-6 just seemed more fun overall.

I think overall the HE-6 had more of a "kick" to them for electronic music for me, but I can imagine how the Utopia are more refined and how a lot of people would love them. Theres nothing "bad" on them whatsoever. Im going to stick with the HE6 and get a J2 to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back