The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #15,211 of 35,332
I am actually going to be returning my X2's that I just got from AWD so there should be another that shows up soon for that price on there. Here is the explanation as to why. Nothing wrong with the X2, it is amazing. Just doesn't stand up to my other headphone. It is a great deal, whoever gets the pair I am sending back will be happy, besides the box being a little messed up with some scotch tape from the previous owner, it is flawless and does not bleed dye at all. I tested it multiple times. Hopefully @Stillhart gets this unit lol.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #15,213 of 35,332
I am actually going to be returning my X2's that I just got from AWD so there should be another that shows up soon for that price on there. Here is the explanation as to why. Nothing wrong with the X2, it is amazing. Just doesn't stand up to my other headphone. It is a great deal, whoever gets the pair I am sending back will be happy, besides the box being a little messed up with some scotch tape from the previous owner, it is flawless and does not bleed dye at all. I tested it multiple times. Hopefully @Stillhart
 gets this unit lol.

+10

Everyone needs to demo more headphones via Amazon so that there are more in AW for the deals thread :D

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #15,215 of 35,332
I am actually going to be returning my X2's that I just got from AWD so there should be another that shows up soon for that price on there. Here is the explanation as to why. Nothing wrong with the X2, it is amazing. Just doesn't stand up to my other headphone. It is a great deal, whoever gets the pair I am sending back will be happy, besides the box being a little messed up with some scotch tape from the previous owner, it is flawless and does not bleed dye at all. I tested it multiple times. Hopefully @Stillhart
 gets this unit lol.

What do you mean "does not bleed dye"?

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #15,216 of 35,332
Jun 10, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #15,217 of 35,332
The poit is, the price dropped and by no means is it a bad headphone either. Yes there is an upgraded version (X2) but at the price the X1 is for and for the budget minded, its a no brainer.

But you did say that this kind of price drop was a one time thing. So far the 140 dollar price has happend twice counting this one.

And I can see Philips doing this in the future with other headphones. Same thing happend with the SHP9500. When I got them they were like 90 bucks. Now they are 60 to 70 dollars.

Not sure why they are doing this, especially when the Fidelio line of headphones selling well. Not really complaining but just wonder why the sudden price drops......

X3 later this year? Lol

I wouldn't be surprised if an X3 came out.

I posted this in the X2 thread a while back, but when I contacted Philips Canada about getting a replacement X2 because my pads were leaking dye (really just looking for replacement pads), they said that they couldn't offer a replacement since they were being discontinued.  So they offered me my money back and sent me a cheque in the mail.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #15,219 of 35,332
  I wouldn't be surprised if an X3 came out.

I posted this in the X2 thread a while back, but when I contacted Philips Canada about getting a replacement X2 because my pads were leaking dye (really just looking for replacement pads), they said that they couldn't offer a replacement since they were being discontinued.  So they offered me my money back and sent me a cheque in the mail.

Why would they discontinue such a good headphone less than a year after release??

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #15,220 of 35,332

Why would they discontinue such a good headphone less than a year after release??

You see, thats what I want to know too. With the deals going on with the Fidelio X line, it makes you wonder whats their next move?

Sucks that they dont even have replacement pads. I mean, seriously Philips? How hard is it to make some replacement pads, knowing that X2 owners will buy them.

Well, with DaemonSire experience of a customer support rep, we can guess that the X3 or a new name headphone, is on the horizon. Tyll's review on the X2, mentions that when he visited Philips R&D, dont quote me on this, a prototype/s? of a headphone of which he could not speak of but that it wouldnt cost $300 like the X1 and X2 were first released.

I mean, I guess thats a good thing Philips is following the Head fi community and keeping up, designing, engineering something new for the audiophile/enthusiasts.

But the pads? Why not make replacement pads which can cost an owner at least 30 bucks? How much investment could that be for a company like Philips?
If I get an X2, looks like i will have to use pantyhose to cover up those pads and prevent them from wearing out lol.

So if there is to be an X3.....does that mean HL3 confirmed? lol

X2 ear pads have some known issues with leaking black dye.

whaaaa? Didnt know something like this would happen. Talk about QC on a Pricey Mid-Fi headphone :p.

How would you know its leaking black dye? Black stuff on your ear or around your ear?

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #15,222 of 35,332
  whaaa? Thats a first I hear about this. I wonder why something like this would happen in the first place? and how would you know if its leaking black dye? Your ears or around your ears are covered in black dye?

Im surprised they QC department didnt see this beforehand.

they actually did it on purpose as a design feature to improve the inky blackness of the background =P sure alotta audiophiles felt it helped a lot :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #15,223 of 35,332
  whaaa? Thats a first I hear about this. I wonder why something like this would happen in the first place? and how would you know if its leaking black dye? Your ears or around your ears are covered in black dye?

Im surprised they QC department didnt see this beforehand.

You can read about it in the X2 thread with pictures too.  Look back about a month or two ago.  Basically if you lay the headphones on a piece of paper, some of the dye leaked out onto the paper.  Unfortunately one person mentioned that they had their desk stained by them.

Liking the headphones themselves and only wanting a replacement set of pads prompted me to contact Philips.  I wasn't planning on returning them.  When they told me that it was discontinued, I figured I might as well send them back since it doesn't sound like they will be releasing pads afterall.  Hopefully an X3 is in the works.

I have absolutely no idea why they would discontinue them so early.  They are in such high demand that Amazon can't even keep them in stock.  They are a huge hit so it makes no sense to me.

My theory is that they saw how popular they were for such a low price and decided to stop production, make an X3 with some minor improvements and charge more money (maybe 400-500).  That's just my guess.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #15,224 of 35,332

I have absolutely no idea why they would discontinue them so early.  They are in such high demand that Amazon can't even keep them in stock.  They are a huge hit so it makes no sense to me.

This is how Philips operates, from my experience. Similar issues with the entire citiscape line and the X1- I think their strategy is to mass produce them in bulk all at once, which is why we always see huge clearance sales as early as one year after release. (Anyone remember the uptowns selling at $40 within a year?)

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #15,225 of 35,332

This is how Philips operates, from my experience. Similar issues with the entire citiscape line and the X1- I think their strategy is to mass produce them in bulk all at once, which is why we always see huge clearance sales as early as one year after release. (Anyone remember the uptowns selling at $40 within a year?)

word of advice: don't pay full MSRP for philips products. just follow amazon sales & this deal thread closely and you can score at least $100 off if you are patient :)

edit: this also applies to sony & akg. their headphones always drop in price rather quickly after release from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back