The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jun 4, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #15,137 of 35,316
  That ONKYO that was on Woot recently would have been a good option. It will probably show up again.

That was my 1st thought too.  Another great choice might be the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s.  They were just recently displaced from Innerfidelity's wall of fame by the newer model XS, and are available at the above link from AWD for $60 Used Very Good.

I have both the Onkyo and the newer XS model and prefer the sound, durability, and smaller packing size of the V-moda's.  The M-80 is supposed to be very similar to the XS. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #15,138 of 35,316
Thanks for the additional suggestions. Which has better isolation between the two?
That was my 1st thought too.  Another great choice might be the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s.  They were just recently displaced from Innerfidelity's wall of fame by the newer model XS, and are available at the above link from AWD for $60 Used Very Good.

I have both the Onkyo and the newer XS model and prefer the sound, durability, and smaller packing size of the V-moda's.  The M-80 is supposed to be very similar to the XS. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #15,141 of 35,316
How much was the WOOT sale? They're currently $70 on Amazon which fits the bill perfectly. Looks like a great set of phones too: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-CTI300-BS-Headphones-Control/dp/B00G53GJA6

Quote:
  That ONKYO that was on Woot recently would have been a good option. It will probably show up again.

Thanks!
  ES-CTI300 I think?

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #15,142 of 35,316
How much was the WOOT sale? They're currently $70 on Amazon which fits the bill perfectly. Looks like a great set of phones too: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-CTI300-BS-Headphones-Control/dp/B00G53GJA6

That's them. First Woot had them for $60 +shipping as Deal of the Day, and then a week or so later, $50. But $70 is still an excellent price for those headphones. There are three models for that headphone, and the cheapest one has regularly been selling around $150 or so, if I am not mistaken. You can learn more about it in this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #15,144 of 35,316
I think the Onkyo's would be a great choice as long as you are careful handling them.  I purchased the sale set and love the sound and comfort, but I am very paranoid about the durability of the cable connector to the phones.   The biggest owner complaint by far has been failure of the connector, replacement cables are available for about $45, but it is not clear if the breakage is in the cable or the headphone side of the connections.   I have had no problems, but I would be cautious about using them regularly for rough and tumble travel (if your travel is rough and tumble).  The headphones themselves are very well made...but the connector choice and where it is placed are pretty stupid.

Note that the sale model of the Onkyo uses the 3 button IOA Apple connector.   It works fine on my HTC One, but not on a couple of my amps. 

If you are less careful with your stuff, the V-moda I think is of equal quality and greater durability.  The isolation seems about the same to me between the Onkyo and the V-moda XS, which is OK not great.  

The Momentum On-Ear are also ridiculously cheap now.... and are durable with great isolation.

Innerfidelity has done extensive reviews on all 3 if you scan the closed on ear category.  It links to the in depth individual reviews.  

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #15,145 of 35,316
+1 to the Onkyo ES-CTI300, they are a just fantastic headphone at $70 on amazon. The woot deal was so good I snatched a second pair of onkyos.

Last year I got the Onkyo ES-FC300 for $100 and was quite happy with it until it developed a channel imbalance and sent it in for warranty. Got it back today and onkyo upgraded me to the silver Onkyo ES-CTI300 at no extra charge. Onkyo are pretty great.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #15,146 of 35,316
I would be very wary about, for example, throwing it into a bag and taking it somewhere.  It feels very flimsy and I wouldn't recommend it.  For desk use, it should hold up well enough.

A rigid case would solve the backpack issue. I bought a brainwavz case like this for around $20. Works great for non fold up headphones. The CALs are good for home or office use. Very comfortable.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #15,147 of 35,316
If any tom, dick and harry can get those prices all day long, then it's not a "deal" now is it? Kinda defeats the purpose of this thread.

E: And I do get where you're coming from, but it's not like I'm quoting numbers that are years ago. The 390 "number" was recent and before that, Senn was clearing house on their outlet store where the HD700s were close to $300. It's a recent reference point.

I participated in that deal and bought my HD700, delivered to TX, for $452 with the sale and then the add'l coupon code.  The open box units you're referring to weren't as low as $300 delivered but they were a bargain...and lasted for a short while.   My point still stands that poo pooing deals because of some small window price does not seem useful for the guy/gal that's looking for a good deal on a nice pair of cans currently.  

HS

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #15,148 of 35,316
I don't think that would work.  Whenever I have to have something shipped to my NY address, I am charged NY state tax.  Everything shipped to PA is charged PA state tax.

That's been my experience too. Stuff shipped to myself is tax free, but stuff I shipped to a friend in NV was taxed.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #15,149 of 35,316
Newegg HD518 $54.95 + $1.99 shipping with EMCATAS55 code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106514&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL060515&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL060515&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL060515-_-EMC-060515-Index-_-AllHeadphonesAccessories-_-26106514-S0J

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back