The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Apr 5, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #3,691 of 5,313
20220405_143333[1].jpg
So I was obsessively searching for a Musashino Label case for my WM1A and now my WM1Z for a while now on eBay and Yahoo Auctions Japan, and I was finally able to snatch one up! Granted it is used and it's not the premium leather variant but I feel like this is something worthy of the WM1Z.
congrats!! It's such a challenge to find a premium case for WM1A/Z these days, what I wouldn't give for a new production run from Musashino or Dignis. New stock 1Z's/1A's will prove just as elusive soon.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #3,694 of 5,313
Thank you, I was under the impression that the walkmans battery did not last very long.
I bought my WM1A in used condition recently, it is close to 4 years old. I haven’t tested for exact numbers but playing Flac and rarely DSD I get about 22-24 hrs. Had the same concern before buying, checked with Sony service and they can replace the battery for about $70-80. You could also go big and get the NP audio mod which gives you close to 50hrs playback! I might go for this in the future.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #3,695 of 5,313
I bought my WM1A in used condition recently, it is close to 4 years old. I haven’t tested for exact numbers but playing Flac and rarely DSD I get about 22-24 hrs. Had the same concern before buying, checked with Sony service and they can replace the battery for about $70-80.
I greatly appreciate the note on battery replacement with Sony (though not a concern for me at the moment). Was there a specific email address or phone number you used, or just general Sony support via their Web site?

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #3,696 of 5,313
I greatly appreciate the note on battery replacement with Sony (though not a concern for me at the moment). Was there a specific email address or phone number you used, or just general Sony support via their Web site?
I had a chat with Sony US online support and they connected me with Unitedradio, they service Sony devices. Exchanged some mails with unitedradio, they charge $73.50 + shipping for battery replacement.

You can contact them online or call, number is on the website www.unitedradio.com

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #3,697 of 5,313
Thank you, I was under the impression that the walkmans battery did not last very long.
Sony Walkman (at least the non Android models) has one of the longest lasting batteries of any dap and there are people on here who have well over 10.000 hours of play time on their device and still getting near new play time per charge. I had my battery changed to a double capacity as part of the Nayparm mod so now get about 40 hours per charge but there was nothing wrong with the stock battery. My A55 plays over 30 hours on the stock battery

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #3,698 of 5,313
I had a chat with Sony US online support and they connected me with Unitedradio, they service Sony devices. Exchanged some mails with unitedradio, they charge $73.50 + shipping for battery replacement.

You can contact them online or call, number is on the website www.unitedradio.com
Thanks very much!

To others’ points here, (great points by @hoofman included) the WM1A/WM1Z battery is really, really good. But knowing how to get a swap done down the road if needed is helpful.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #3,699 of 5,313
Sony Walkman (at least the non Android models) has one of the longest lasting batteries of any dap and there are people on here who have well over 10.000 hours of play time on their device and still getting near new play time per charge. I had my battery changed to a double capacity as part of the Nayparm mod so now get about 40 hours per charge but there was nothing wrong with the stock battery. My A55 plays over 30 hours on the stock battery
Not to sidetrack the thread, but how do you find the 1Z after the NP mod? Is it worth the ££? How does it deviate from stock sound? I've spent the past few days experimenting with various regions and external signatures and came right back to WM1Z tuning, normal, MX3. I know folks punt J3, but MX3 had weightier bass and fewer sibilants with Z1R for me. May try the extra high gain mode at some point, just for S&G.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #3,700 of 5,313
Not to sidetrack the thread, but how do you find the 1Z after the NP mod? Is it worth the ££? How does it deviate from stock sound? I've spent the past few days experimenting with various regions and external signatures and came right back to WM1Z tuning, normal, MX3. I know folks punt J3, but MX3 had weightier bass and fewer sibilants with Z1R for me. May try the extra high gain mode at some point, just for S&G.
To me the mod just builds on what was already there rather than radically changing it. However since there were several weeks between sending it in and having it back and then running burn in it is very difficult to come with precise impressions, you really need to have 2 units side by side for that

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #3,701 of 5,313
Interesting, I will try MX3 again. I like the idea of finding one combination and settling in but I like reading someone's feedback and trying others. Sometimes my focus can be quite simplistic and I may enjoy a change and presentation of the bass but overlook another part of the sound.
Once upon a time I only had a Walkman with iems and knew the sound so well I could hear any difference, even with album variations or formats but now I have very limited listening time and have other gear so now struggle to find combinations that cater best for my music.
I don't experience harshness or sibilance with my Z1R but do find certain tracks to have any imperfections slightly boosted with my 1Z.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #3,702 of 5,313
I don't experience harshness or sibilance with my Z1R but do find certain tracks to have any imperfections slightly boosted.
Yes, same, that's more or less what I meant. I consider sibilance an imperfection in the recording :) I find J3 bass more nuanced but less in quantity, so I've switched back to MX3 and will probably stick with this for now. WM1Z external tuning too.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #3,703 of 5,313
Hey guys,

Quick question/survey: who's using their 1Z with DSP, and who listens with Direct Sound?

I notice that any DSP seems to bump up the loudness a few notches using the same volume level, so there must be some sort of gain push with DSP.

If you do use DSP, what's your favourite? DSEE AI, Linearizer, Vinyl? All three?

So much to explore with this player!
Direct.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #3,704 of 5,313
20220405_143333[1].jpg
So I was obsessively searching for a Musashino Label case for my WM1A and now my WM1Z for a while now on eBay and Yahoo Auctions Japan, and I was finally able to snatch one up! Granted it is used and it's not the premium leather variant but I feel like this is something worthy of the WM1Z.
That’s nice. I saw the black on on the rack in Japan but went with natural! Those are such nice cases!

Apr 7, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #3,705 of 5,313
SonySS_03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back