The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Mar 30, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,661 of 5,330
Yes. I don't use single ended. I thought the 3.5mm output was flat and cramped sounding.
Exactly! When I listen to my X2's on my PC through the back 3.5mm port it sounds more natural, wider soundstage and definitely less fatiguing. I'm not sure why but the X2's sound particularly sibilant, less "lively" (with a more narrow soundstage), and I perceive less bass through the 3.5mm of my WM1Z with the Walkman One Firmware (WM1Z Tuning).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #3,662 of 5,330
Have seen that nayparm offers a ZX300 mod with large capacitors... did anybody have an chance to listen to one and can say how it compares to a WM1Z/A?
I really liked the form factor of the zx300 but thought it couldn't match the sound quality of the bigger brothers

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #3,663 of 5,330
@bigbeans was asking about matching IEMs, in terms of colour with the 1Z. It inspired me to pull out the Final Audio Piano Forte X. Forgotten how good the two sound together. 🤗

AF7AC304-83AD-4FDD-955B-499779BFC833.jpeg

Apr 2, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,666 of 5,330
Apr 2, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,667 of 5,330
The WM1x 3.5mm headphone jack outputs analog audio to your AMP? Is that your previous configuration? The headphone jack only outputs analog audio.
This is: WM1x -> analog audio -> 3.5mm Phone output - > cable -> External AMP - Speakers

Your are trying to use the USB-DAC function on the WM1x? This takes a digital signal from a PC, iPad, etc.. i.e. Play music on the PC, output a digital signal to the WM1x, which will use the WM1x DAC to process the digital signal, and output the analog audio from the headphone jack.
This is: PC plays a song -> Digital signal -> WM1x_DAC-> Headphone jack

You are expecting to output analog audio from the WM1x Walkman port. There is no such function. On previous machines that had a Line Out function, this would work. The WM1x does not have a Line Out function from the Walkman port

****************************************************************************************************************
Enjoying music content on a computer with Walkman sound quality (USB-DAC
function)
You can enjoy music content stored on a computer through the Walkman, without transferring the content to the
Walkman. Because the sound quality settings of the Walkman also apply to the output sound, music content on the
computer can be played with the same sound quality as the Walkman.
The following applications are compatible with the USB-DAC function. They are recommended for use with the
Walkman.
Windows: Music Center for PC
Mac: Hi-Res Audio Player for Mac
Note
While the USB-DAC function is turned on, the Walkman can only be used as a USB-DAC device. To use the Walkman as a music
player, turn off the USB-DAC function.
Music content cannot be transferred while the USB-DAC function is turned on.
To go back to the music playback function
Tap in the top left of the screen.
When a message is displayed, tap [OK].
Install the USB-DAC compatible application on a computer.
Windows:
Music Center for PC: To install the application, access the customer support website.
(http://www.sony.net/smc4pc/) Refer to the appropriate topic under [Related Topic].
Sony Audio USB Driver for Windows: Access the customer support website to install Sony Audio USB
Driver for Windows. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Mac:
Hi-Res Audio Player for Mac: Access the customer support website to install the application. Follow the
onscreen instructions.
On the computer, configure the settings for USB-DAC.
For details on the settings, refer to the following information.
Windows: Online help information for Music Center for PC
Mac: Online help information for Hi-Res Audio Player on the customer support website.
3 On the Walkman, tap to open the library screen, and then tap .
4 When a message is displayed, tap [OK].
Connect the Walkman to the computer via USB.
You can adjust the volume on the [USB DAC] screen.
Hint
If you do not want the Walkman to charge from the computer, remove the check mark from [Charge this player from the
connected device]. Tap the menu items in the following order.
– [Settings] – [USB DAC Settings] ([Function Settings]) – [Charge this player from the connected device].
However, if the USB port on the computer is set to supply power constantly to the connected device, the Walkman may be
charged by the computer.
Note
You cannot listen to played-back sound wirelessly while the USB-DAC function is active.
Related Topic
Adjusting the sound quality settings
Installing Music Center for PC (Windows)
How to use the various screens on the Walkman
USB-DAC screen
Customer support website
4-593-855-13(1) Copyright 2016 Sony Corporation
The
Technically speaking toure double amping, but since the signal is so clean from any noise it us almoat irrelevant if youre double amping or not. I tested this but to dual RCA to a system and i hqd to max the volune on the rig (literal ear blowing) to hear any hiss

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,668 of 5,330
I am listening to the NW-WM1Z/SRH1840 pairing and it's just sublime. So gorgeous. It gives you a little more width to go along with the NW-WM1Z depth. I am in audio nirvana. The neutral, wide open-back really comes to life on NW-WM1Z. I don't care for LPGT/SRH1840 pairing as much. The LPGT/SRH1540 is near equal to NW-WM1Z/SRH1840 combination. The 1840s are just damn intoxicating with NW-WM1Z! I am a Shure fan for life. SRH1540 also pairs very nicely. I was able to screw around with the Lotoo PMEQ and was able to greatly improve the SRH1840 on the LPGT.

20220402_205757.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,669 of 5,330
I tried the meze liric on my 1A, bith balanced as well as normal stereo. On
3.6mm the aense of b ing enclos d on a tiny studio ;theyre clised back) and very weak fewling of air movement in the bass.
Switching to balanced, the aense pf spaciousness increases to some extent bit we still have some weak bass feeling inless is a huge organ pipe register recorded on DSD or 24 bit you can appreciate some rimble.

Man you need a DMP-z1 to be able to move these well but i still miss my MDR-Z1R bass slam while wearing the mezes

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #3,670 of 5,330
Meeting the mk2's at Singapore CanJam 2022
20220403_163915.jpg

1Z + Traillii at the show ...
20220402_170247.jpg

While I really enjoyed experiencing new toys at the show, I didn't really feel missing out anything with the WM1Z + IER-Z1R combo :ksc75smile:

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,671 of 5,330
I use this Dignis

I ordered and just received the VanNuys Vertical Carrying Case Type-A in Black, and am very impressed. It’s a bit spendy (about $100 with shipping from Japan), but several reputable eBay sellers can help you get one.

Overall, the case is like the WM1A- heavy-duty and over-built/over-engineered. 😊 It will be my go-to for storage during travel and even neighborhood walks. Highly recommended so far!

Apologies for the crummy photo- others are better on the Internet.
F4FBD83D-23FC-471A-AD16-06724ADFCB27.jpeg

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3,672 of 5,330
Hey guys,

Quick question/survey: who's using their 1Z with DSP, and who listens with Direct Sound?

I notice that any DSP seems to bump up the loudness a few notches using the same volume level, so there must be some sort of gain push with DSP.

If you do use DSP, what's your favourite? DSEE AI, Linearizer, Vinyl? All three?

So much to explore with this player!

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #3,673 of 5,330
Hey guys,

Quick question/survey: who's using their 1Z with DSP, and who listens with Direct Sound?

I notice that any DSP seems to bump up the loudness a few notches using the same volume level, so there must be some sort of gain push with DSP.

If you do use DSP, what's your favourite? DSEE AI, Linearizer, Vinyl? All three?

With an abundance of ways to adjust the sound from regions to firmware tunings to player settings I prefer to keep it simple and use direct which also saves on battery life.
One day I may remind myself to play around and may find a higher level of enjoyment.
I sometimes forget how many options are available.

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3,674 of 5,330
With an abundance of ways to adjust the sound from regions to firmware tunings to player settings I prefer to keep it simple and use direct which also saves on battery life.
One day I may remind myself to play around and may find a higher level of enjoyment.
I sometimes forget how many options are available.
I do direct as well.

Apr 4, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #3,675 of 5,330
Hey guys,

I only use DSP with extremely poor recordings if needed. So Direct nearly all of the time, though I appreciate the flexibility that Sony built in.

With the WM1Z “tone” firmware set on my WM1A using the “E” region, I am very happy with 90-95 percent of my reasonably large collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back