The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #3,646 of 5,330
I own a WM1A that I've been outputting to my DAC using the headphone jack for over a year. I finally broke down and bought a WMC-NWH10 cable to plug into the port on the bottom and then use a USB cable I already have to go from that to the DAC. Only problem being I'm not getting a signal to the DAC. Is there a setting on the WMIA I need to change to output a signal from that port since it is normally used for charging? All I know is that when I plug everything in and play a song on the WM1A my DAC when in the "USB" input mode says "silent" which means it isn't getting a signal. I know the USB cable is fine as I use it with my laptop and the WNMIA is fine since using the headphone jack to output works fine. Thinking there is maybe a setting to cvhange that lower jack to output? Thanks!

The WM1x 3.5mm headphone jack outputs analog audio to your AMP? Is that your previous configuration? The headphone jack only outputs analog audio.
This is: WM1x -> analog audio -> 3.5mm Phone output - > cable -> External AMP - Speakers

Your are trying to use the USB-DAC function on the WM1x? This takes a digital signal from a PC, iPad, etc.. i.e. Play music on the PC, output a digital signal to the WM1x, which will use the WM1x DAC to process the digital signal, and output the analog audio from the headphone jack.
This is: PC plays a song -> Digital signal -> WM1x_DAC-> Headphone jack

You are expecting to output analog audio from the WM1x Walkman port. There is no such function. On previous machines that had a Line Out function, this would work. The WM1x does not have a Line Out function from the Walkman port

****************************************************************************************************************
Enjoying music content on a computer with Walkman sound quality (USB-DAC
function)
You can enjoy music content stored on a computer through the Walkman, without transferring the content to the
Walkman. Because the sound quality settings of the Walkman also apply to the output sound, music content on the
computer can be played with the same sound quality as the Walkman.
The following applications are compatible with the USB-DAC function. They are recommended for use with the
Walkman.
Windows: Music Center for PC
Mac: Hi-Res Audio Player for Mac
Note
While the USB-DAC function is turned on, the Walkman can only be used as a USB-DAC device. To use the Walkman as a music
player, turn off the USB-DAC function.
Music content cannot be transferred while the USB-DAC function is turned on.
To go back to the music playback function
Tap in the top left of the screen.
When a message is displayed, tap [OK].
Install the USB-DAC compatible application on a computer.
Windows:
Music Center for PC: To install the application, access the customer support website.
(http://www.sony.net/smc4pc/) Refer to the appropriate topic under [Related Topic].
Sony Audio USB Driver for Windows: Access the customer support website to install Sony Audio USB
Driver for Windows. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Mac:
Hi-Res Audio Player for Mac: Access the customer support website to install the application. Follow the
onscreen instructions.
On the computer, configure the settings for USB-DAC.
For details on the settings, refer to the following information.
Windows: Online help information for Music Center for PC
Mac: Online help information for Hi-Res Audio Player on the customer support website.
3 On the Walkman, tap to open the library screen, and then tap .
4 When a message is displayed, tap [OK].
Connect the Walkman to the computer via USB.
You can adjust the volume on the [USB DAC] screen.
Hint
If you do not want the Walkman to charge from the computer, remove the check mark from [Charge this player from the
connected device]. Tap the menu items in the following order.
– [Settings] – [USB DAC Settings] ([Function Settings]) – [Charge this player from the connected device].
However, if the USB port on the computer is set to supply power constantly to the connected device, the Walkman may be
charged by the computer.
Note
You cannot listen to played-back sound wirelessly while the USB-DAC function is active.
Related Topic
Adjusting the sound quality settings
Installing Music Center for PC (Windows)
How to use the various screens on the Walkman
USB-DAC screen
Customer support website
4-593-855-13(1) Copyright 2016 Sony Corporation
The

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #3,647 of 5,330
I own a WM1A that I've been outputting to my DAC using the headphone jack for over a year. I finally broke down and bought a WMC-NWH10 cable to plug into the port on the bottom and then use a USB cable I already have to go from that to the DAC. Only problem being I'm not getting a signal to the DAC. Is there a setting on the WMIA I need to change to output a signal from that port since it is normally used for charging? All I know is that when I plug everything in and play a song on the WM1A my DAC when in the "USB" input mode says "silent" which means it isn't getting a signal. I know the USB cable is fine as I use it with my laptop and the WNMIA is fine since using the headphone jack to output works fine. Thinking there is maybe a setting to cvhange that lower jack to output? Thanks!

Nope, no settings. In my experience the WMC-NWH10 cable is just not compatible with every DAC out there. You should power up the DAC and then turn on the WMIA and, if recognized, it will say "Digital" on the upper left of the 1A's screen. You might also verify that your WMC-NWH10 cable is functioning, as it contains some components within the adapter (it's more than just a cable). Can I ask which DAC you are using?

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #3,648 of 5,330
Thanks. I'm using the McIntosh MHA 150 headphone amp. As mentioned I've just been plugging a cable from the headphone jack on the WM1A to two RCA connectors into the Mac amp and it's worked fine. But I had read about the WMC-NWH10 sending a pure signal to the DAC instead of the DAC in the WM1A doing it's thing compounded by the MHA 150 doing it's thing. So when I connect the WM1A to the USB cable (that I know works because I normally use it with my laptop) plugged into the MHA 150 and play a song the readout out on the MHA 150 just says "USB Silent" which from experience I know means it isn't receiving a signal. So unless I'm just doing something wrong (since it sounds like there are no settings that need to be changed on the WM1A) maybe I ended up with a bad WMC-NWH10. I'l try it again tonight. Bummer if true, it was an expensive little cable. I will definitely look for where the screen on the WM1A says "Digital", I did not know that so thanks!

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #3,649 of 5,330
Thanks. I'm using the McIntosh MHA 150 headphone amp. As mentioned I've just been plugging a cable from the headphone jack on the WM1A to two RCA connectors into the Mac amp and it's worked fine. But I had read about the WMC-NWH10 sending a pure signal to the DAC instead of the DAC in the WM1A doing it's thing compounded by the MHA 150 doing it's thing. So when I connect the WM1A to the USB cable (that I know works because I normally use it with my laptop) plugged into the MHA 150 and play a song the readout out on the MHA 150 just says "USB Silent" which from experience I know means it isn't receiving a signal. So unless I'm just doing something wrong (since it sounds like there are no settings that need to be changed on the WM1A) maybe I ended up with a bad WMC-NWH10. I'l try it again tonight. Bummer if true, it was an expensive little cable. I will definitely look for where the screen on the WM1A says "Digital", I did not know that so thanks!

It can also be a case of incompatibility between the NWH10 and your amp.

WMC-NWH10 sends just the audio data of a song, as is, with no processing of any kind being involved. It's basically not different than using your amp with a PC (with no resampling involved).

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,650 of 5,330
Sorry, I was doing that from memory. It will actually say "USB AUDIO" in the upper left corner (see below). I tested a bunch of DACs and from what I can tell compatibility may be determined by the USB receiver chip used in the DAC. Many of the DACs that use off-the-shelf-receiver chips (asynchronous sample-rate converters) seem to have no trouble working with the NWH10 adapter. These DACs tend to adhere to the USB 2.0 standard which Sony supports. Some DAC companies use proprietary USB receiver architecture (i.e., Schiit) which may deviate somewhat from the USB 2.0 standard. Also check to see that your USB cable is passing the +/- 5v DC power which is the norm unless you have an older USB cable. The WM1A will pass 5 volts to the DAC which lights-up the DAC's receiver chip. Without this, the WM1A won't be recognized. This is also why battery life is slightly worse when the WM1A is in digital send mode.

That being said it's worth the attempt. I find that the WM1A run through a more modern DAC is a game changer. My 1A is used as a digital source exclusively and I'm very happy with it.

USB.jpg

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #3,651 of 5,330
Someone posted this. I am really loving SRH1840, balanced out of my Sony NW-WM1Z. PERFECTION.

Screenshot_20220328-123505_Chrome.jpg

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,652 of 5,330
Someone posted this. I am really loving SRH1840, balanced out of my Sony NW-WM1Z. PERFECTION.

Screenshot_20220328-123505_Chrome.jpg
I love my Nayparm modded 1Z and can not think of a better dap but at the same level I’m sure there are other just as good devices that people with different preferences might find better. However I have not tried anything else that has come out the last 5 1/2 years as I’ve not felt the need to so don’t have any personal experience with anything else

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,653 of 5,330
I love my Nayparm modded 1Z and can not think of a better dap but at the same level I’m sure there are other just as good devices that people with different preferences might find better. However I have not tried anything else that has come out the last 5 1/2 years as I’ve not felt the need to so don’t have any personal experience with anything else
I just love the way my NW-WM1Z sounds with SRH1840. I love the way my LPGT sounds with SRH1540. I really am done searching for quite some time.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,654 of 5,330
I just love the way my NW-WM1Z sounds with SRH1840. I love the way my LPGT sounds with SRH1540. I really am done searching for quite some time.
Hey! I was looking to find a good pair of headphones/earphones with a good synergy with my new WM1Z. Have you tried the MDR-Z1R? If so would you say it's worth the price compared to your SRH1840?

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,655 of 5,330
Hey! I was looking to find a good pair of headphones/earphones with a good synergy with my new WM1Z. Have you tried the MDR-Z1R? If so would you say it's worth the price compared to your SRH1840?
I have never tried the MDR-Z1R. The bass amount scared me away. The WH-1000XM4 bass was too much.

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #3,656 of 5,330
I have never tried the MDR-Z1R. The bass amount scared me away. The WH-1000XM4 bass was too much.
So I only have the Philips Fidelio X2 (The original 2014 version if that matters) and both the WM1A and WM1Z sound a bit thin and flat through the 3.5mm port. I even have to use high gain at 120 volume to get the Fidelio X2's loud enough on both DAPs. This seems strange since the X2's have a relatively low impedence of 30 Ohm I would have assumed they would work just fine with the WM1A and WM1Z. What's even stranger is that even with the WM1Z with the Walkman One firmware (WM1Z External Tuning at Plus v2), the sound from my Fidelio X2's still sound extremely flat and "distant", even at high gain and volume at 120. Not sure if this is normal lol.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #3,657 of 5,330
So I only have the Philips Fidelio X2 (The original 2014 version if that matters) and both the WM1A and WM1Z sound a bit thin and flat through the 3.5mm port. I even have to use high gain at 120 volume to get the Fidelio X2's loud enough on both DAPs. This seems strange since the X2's have a relatively low impedence of 30 Ohm I would have assumed they would work just fine with the WM1A and WM1Z. What's even stranger is that even with the WM1Z with the Walkman One firmware (WM1Z External Tuning at Plus v2), the sound from my Fidelio X2's still sound extremely flat and "distant", even at high gain and volume at 120. Not sure if this is normal lol.
That's strange. My Shures are 46 ohms and 65 ohms. They are lively in excess, yet smooth. I use 3.02 firmware.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #3,659 of 5,330

Looks like it's translated from Japanese. I assume he was using stock firmware.
I've only tried the 1A,1Z and TA-ZH1ES - I personally rate the TA as a clear 100, over the 1Z, interesting to see another opinion of the original 1A/1Z ranked above the M2s.
I need to face facts that iems cater better for me but I'd like to try those Shures one day.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #3,660 of 5,330
Do you play music solely through the 4.4mm balanced output?
Yes. I don't use single ended. I thought the 3.5mm output was flat and cramped sounding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back