The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #3,721 of 5,330
I live in the United States. I am looking to buy a Sony NW WM1Z, Japanese edition. I wondered if there are any issues with having a Japanese version of the NW WM1Z, or should I wait to buy a United States Edition?

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #3,722 of 5,330
I live in the United States. I am looking to buy a Sony NW WM1Z, Japanese edition. I wondered if there are any issues with having a Japanese version of the NW WM1Z, or should I wait to buy a United States Edition?
Main issue would probably be warranty and at any rate there should be no difference between a Japanese and a US unit and using the rockbox tool or MrWalkman fw you can change anything into anything. Main problem will probably be finding a unit after the new M2 has launched

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #3,723 of 5,330
I turned my NW-WM1Z off. I have had to reboot it several times to remove blip during play off the microSD card.

****Update****

I cleaned the Micro SD slot using DeOxit cleaner/conditioner. I applied it with a horse bristle craft brush and removed excess with dry, unused horse bristle craft brushes. This way, there is no chance of damaging or bending the contacts. I cleaned the micro SD contacts with DeOxit and a Q-tip. I dried with a dry Q-tip. Everything seems to play smoothly now. One blip...reboot...gone. Still better. Went back in with a different dry brush. All seems fine now. I also cleaned the balanced output socket with a dry cloth. It may have been that.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #3,724 of 5,330
My hat off to @MrWalkman for the 'Much Higher Gain' FW tweak. It's changed my perception of the WM1Z, from a DAP that I absolutely loved but felt just about provided enough power, to one that's even better now with more power (voltage?) than my previous Hiby RS6 and R8 DAPs (690mW/1.2W output) by comparison. I'm now driving both IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R at a much lower volume setting than I did with the Hiby DAPs without any SQ penalty (if anything I feel SQ has actually improved), and any need/desire for an external amp has dissipated. If you own an OG 1A/1Z, you owe yourself to at least give it a try - and it's so easy to enable/disable at will. The only downside is that it doesn't support DSP or DSD/MQA files, which is where an external amp might still be useful for playing back these files or using DSP with harder-to-drive headphones.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #3,725 of 5,330
My hat off to @MrWalkman for the 'Much Higher Gain' FW tweak. It's changed my perception of the WM1Z, from a DAP that I absolutely loved but felt just about provided enough power, to one that's even better now with more power (voltage?) than my previous Hiby RS6 and R8 DAPs (690mW/1.2W output) by comparison. I'm now driving both IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R at a much lower volume setting than I did with the Hiby DAPs without any SQ penalty (if anything I feel SQ has actually improved), and any need/desire for an external amp has dissipated. If you own an OG 1A/1Z, you owe yourself to at least give it a try - and it's so easy to enable/disable at will. The only downside is that it doesn't support DSP or DSD/MQA files, which is where an external amp might still be useful for playing back these files or using DSP with harder-to-drive headphones.
How much volume? When i tewted the Meze liric i was hitting 100 om H-gain for stock sony FW 3.02

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #3,726 of 5,330
How much volume? When i tewted the Meze liric i was hitting 100 om H-gain for stock sony FW 3.02
Aparently a lot more but it’s not yet available

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #3,728 of 5,330
Main issue would probably be warranty and at any rate there should be no difference between a Japanese and a US unit and using the rockbox tool or MrWalkman fw you can change anything into anything. Main problem will probably be finding a unit after the new M2 has launched
What about charging it? Do I need electricity

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #3,729 of 5,330
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #3,730 of 5,330
What about charging it? Do I need electricity
Yes you need electricity to charge the player

Indeed, they initially had plans on using a technology that relies on the electromagnetic interference all around us to charge the player.

As the electromagnetic interference would all be harvested by the charging circuit, the sound quality would be better, as there would be less interference getting to the rest of the components. Too bad it didn't work out in the end, so they went on with classic electricity.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #3,731 of 5,330
I'm getting a few more blips today only on music on the SD card so I have a feeling I'm going to have to reformat it and put music back in due to some bad sector or something.

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3,733 of 5,330
I'm getting a few more blips today only on music on the SD card so I have a feeling I'm going to have to reformat it and put music back in due to some bad sector or something.
I got glitches too usually reseating the card or worst case retransfer of music files.

On my DMP-Z1 until now i haven't heard any glitch until mow

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #3,734 of 5,330
But format the card on the DAP

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,735 of 5,330

Users who are viewing this thread

Back