The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Apr 12, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #3,751 of 5,346
Apr 12, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #3,752 of 5,346
This is the offending album. It is always this one that blips. I hard reboot and the blip is gone or in another spot. PCM 96/24.

20220412_070434.jpg

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #3,753 of 5,346
This is the offending album. It is always this one that blips. I hard reboot and the blip is gone or in another spot. PCM 96/24.

I would just redownload or reconvert it, maybe it's something related to the files themselves, if this behavior doesn't happen with other albums.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,754 of 5,346
So I did get a WM1Z off of eBay used not too long ago, but I was wondering, is it normal for both 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm unabalanced ports to be a little "loose". I notice that when I move the earphone jack while inserted inside either port, there appears to be a little bit of play (the jack moves a tiny bit while inserted). Is this normal? Should I be worried?
You know I was curious about this too. 1) My 1Z has a little play. 2) 1A none. I don’t remember ever testing the 1Z when it was new? So I’m at Music Sanctuary in Singapore and I’m talking about it. The staff said it’s totally normal to have some play. Then I actually showed him my 1A that has absolutely no movement at all. He was surprised! The good news is the 1Z hasn’t ever gotten worse. Though I thought I may have caused it, as it was never anything that worried me up until I first noticed it on the 1Z. But both 4.4mm and 3.5mm have just slight back and forth play. The 1A 4.4mm and 3.5mm have absolutely.....none? Lol

So I’m guessing that my 1Z may have had it from the start? Still you definitely don’t want to put sideways stress on the plugs! Common sense tell me this.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #3,755 of 5,346

20220412_070434.jpg
Tour file may be corrupt. Try redownloading or check it for errors to

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,756 of 5,346
Do I format in Sony afterwards, or do I just transfer the music?
Wont hurt to format again on the DAP. What I would advise is first to do a full format of the card with the SD Card utility as this should correct any issues if present.

Q-6

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #3,757 of 5,346
So I did get a WM1Z off of eBay used not too long ago, but I was wondering, is it normal for both 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm unabalanced ports to be a little "loose". I notice that when I move the earphone jack while inserted inside either port, there appears to be a little bit of play (the jack moves a tiny bit while inserted). Is this normal? Should I be worried?

You know I was curious about this too. 1) My 1Z has a little play. 2) 1A none. I don’t remember ever testing the 1Z when it was new? So I’m at Music Sanctuary in Singapore and I’m talking about it. The staff said it’s totally normal to have some play. Then I actually showed him my 1A that has absolutely no movement at all. He was surprised! The good news is the 1Z hasn’t ever gotten worse. Though I thought I may have caused it, as it was never anything that worried me up until I first noticed it on the 1Z. But both 4.4mm and 3.5mm have just slight back and forth play. The 1A 4.4mm and 3.5mm have absolutely.....none? Lol

So I’m guessing that my 1Z may have had it from the start? Still you definitely don’t want to put sideways stress on the plugs! Common sense tell me this.

Is a non issue as both the 3.5mm SE & 4.4mm Balanced ports are independent assemblies, nor hard wired to the board as is illustrated below. Both ports are locked in place to the chassis by retaining rings, any difference flex is likely attributable parts being sourced from multiple suppliers which is a common practise in manufacturing (mounting fixtures, locking rings etc.).
1649791890259.png

My own WM1A has a very little flex on both the SE & Balanced ports nor of concern. As said you certainly don't want to deliberately exert excessive side force to the ports, it also points to Sony's attention to detail :) In the event of a misadventure the ports being isolated may save the need to replace the entire board at a far higher cost.

If Sony wanted to save cost, they would have mounted the ports directly on the board and machined the chassis to allow assembly of the same. The other factor is that the WM1A has OFC copper lines to the board and the WM1Z has Kimber Kable lines. All makes sense :)

Q-6

Apr 12, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,758 of 5,346
Is a non issue as both the 3.5mm SE & 4.4mm Balanced ports are independent assemblies, nor hard wired to the board as is illustrated below. Both ports are locked in place to the chassis by retaining rings, any difference flex is likely attributable parts being sourced from multiple suppliers which is a common practise in manufacturing (mounting fixtures, locking rings etc.).
1649791890259.png
My own WM1A has a very little flex on both the SE & Balanced ports nor of concern. As said you certainly don't want to deliberately exert excessive side force to the ports, it also points to Sony's attention to detail :) In the event of a misadventure the ports being isolated may save the need to replace the entire board at a far higher cost.

If Sony wanted to save cost, they would have mounted the ports directly on the board and machined the chassis to allow assembly of the same. The other factor is that the WM1A has OFC copper lines to the board and the WM1Z has Kimber Kable lines. All makes sense :)

Q-6
Great/helpful details, thank you!

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #3,760 of 5,346
Hi anybody who could help me out, i reset the walkman wm1a to factory reset and when it came back it was in chinese and i had no option to choose the language, hoping anyone could help me thanks in advance
The only region without the option to change language is J. You can use the rockbox tool to change to another region or you can install to MrWalkman WalkmanOne modded fw which installs to English languagr

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #3,762 of 5,346
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #3,764 of 5,346
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,765 of 5,346

Users who are viewing this thread

Back