The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #3,706 of 5,330
Apr 7, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,707 of 5,330
I do direct as well.
WM1A/Z has some of the best DSP on a portable so why not enjoy the best of both worlds :) Can really enhance some tracks, nor does it take too much away from the source...

Q-6

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #3,708 of 5,330
WM1A/Z has some of the best DSP on a portable so why not enjoy the best of both worlds :) Can really enhance some tracks, nor does it take too much away from the source...

Q-6
I am not sure why. I started listening direct and was so satisfied that I didn't pursue it.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #3,709 of 5,330
Apr 7, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,711 of 5,330

Q-6
I will play with settings this week.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,712 of 5,330
Dumb question time... When do you guys usually begin charging your WM1A/1Z? I normally start charging it when it get's to the last bar, but should I start charging it when the battery indicator starts blinking?

Apr 7, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #3,713 of 5,330
Dumb question time... When do you guys usually begin charging your WM1A/1Z? I normally start charging it when it get's to the last bar, but should I start charging it when the battery indicator starts blinking?
You can do it whenever you want, just don't let the battery get totally depleted. I usually charge sometime on the last bar before it starts flashing. On the non Android players the first and last bar each gives roughly 1/3 and the 2 middle bars 1/6 each. And I have the option checked so it don’t charge beyond 90%

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3,714 of 5,330
I am terribly anal about battery maintenance, and that's what I do. The moment I see indicator hit single bar (or I have used for ~14 or 15 hours, whichever comes first), I charge it. I also use battery maintenance setting so it doesn't (supposedly) charge past 90%....except for when I calibrate battery every 90 days or so.

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,715 of 5,330
I am terribly anal about battery maintenance, and that's what I do. The moment I see indicator hit single bar (or I have used for ~14 or 15 hours, whichever comes first), I charge it. I also use battery maintenance setting so it doesn't (supposedly) charge past 90%....except for when I calibrate battery every 90 days or so.
Silly question perhaps, but what is calibrating the battery for the WM1A/1Z?

Thanks, very helpful discourse on this topic!

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #3,716 of 5,330
Silly question perhaps, but what is calibrating the battery for the WM1A/1Z?

Thanks, very helpful discourse on this topic!
Same question. I'd love for @MrWalkman to find a way to reveal the actual battery % on the 1Z/1A DAPs.

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,717 of 5,330
I'm the same. Probably there are people with poor habits that still milk a long life out of their battery but I figure if you are doing something hundreds of times it will pay off to follow the recommended guidelines (for lithium batteries).

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #3,718 of 5,330
I have a calendar reminder set for every 90 days; I turn off battery maintenance, charge to 100%, then use and let drain til low battery warning then charge again to 100%; turn battery maintenance back on, then shut down the player.

I know plenty of guys here just leave their devices on all the time; and I know plenty here who get significantly better battery life than I've ever experienced (to be fair, I used stock for maaaaaybe 10 hours when I first unboxed a brand new device not quite one year ago, hahahaha).

I'm pretty certain my relatively not-so-stellar battery life is due to the fact all my music has album art embedded, and I used large (1000x1000) art all the time. At least that's my theory. Even saying that, however, I love battery life I get out of my 1A. It's miles better than any Android DAP I've tried since coming back to the hobby almost 2 years ago.

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #3,719 of 5,330
You can do it whenever you want, just don't let the battery get totally depleted. I usually charge sometime on the last bar before it starts flashing. On the non Android players the first and last bar each gives roughly 1/3 and the 2 middle bars 1/6 each. And I have the option checked so it don’t charge beyond 90%
Do you think it's ok to use a charger with "Adaptive Fast Charing"? The only good quality charger I have came with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ but it is a "Adaptive Fast Charging" one.

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3,720 of 5,330
Do you think it's ok to use a charger with "Adaptive Fast Charing"? The only good quality charger I have came with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ but it is a "Adaptive Fast Charging" one.
I would expect so, it is not the charger that pushes current into the player but the player that draws what it needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back